UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items

Notices

Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items For discussions about other vintage (over 25 years old) electrical and electromechanical household items. See the sticky thread for details.

Closed Thread

Old 20th Apr 2018, 7:00 pm   #1
timsandiford
Retired Dormant Member

Default Smiths Sectric Clock running fast.

Hello there

I’m new to the forum and to be honest new to forums.

I have a Smiths Sectric Bakelite clock which I inherited from my grandparents a few years back. It’s pretty taty (think it was in his garage for about 40 years) but I love it. Just recently it has started running really fast, about two minutes an hour so completely unusable. I’ve cleaned it out, didn’t think it would help as it’s fast not slow and that didn’t help.

Anyone have any suggestions? Thanks in advance!!

Tim

Last edited by Station X; 20th Apr 2018 at 8:34 pm. Reason: Post moved to new thread.
Old 20th Apr 2018, 9:14 pm   #2
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Default Re: Smiths Sectric Clock running fast.

Hello and welcome.

Could you post some pictures of it, please.

Nick.
Old 20th Apr 2018, 10:41 pm   #3
broadgage
Nonode

Presumably the clock was connected to a standard mains supply that is derived from the national grid ?
Not from private generating plant, or a portable generator, or an inverter, or even a large transportable generator being used by the power company during an outage.
Old 20th Apr 2018, 11:19 pm   #4
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Loose hands can sometimes give the impression of a clock gaining.
Closed Thread