UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players

Notices

Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players Open-reel tape recorders, cassette recorders, 8-track players etc.

Closed Thread

Old 29th Apr 2018, 5:45 pm   #1
Martin Bush
Octode

Default Crown CTR - 6550 S

Hello all

After a small success with my Bush cassette player I've decided to have a look at my Crowncorder.

However I have fallen at the first hurdle... Getting it open.

I've removed the screws that look like they should be removed, but nothing really wants to budge so I think now is a good time to ask for help.

Does anyone know how to open this one up and also where I can get service data?

I've not powered it up yet as I want to look if the belts are OK or not to kick off. Also the mains lead looks like speaker cable to me so that's something else I want to investigate.

Martin
Old 29th Apr 2018, 5:55 pm   #2
paulsherwin

Default Re: Crown CTR - 6550 S

Either it is being held together by plastic clips around the edges, or you have missed a screw somewhere, maybe in the battery compartment.

I'm pretty sure that Crown was a Hong Kong brand, in which case you are very unlikely to find service info, though sometimes there will be a circuit diagram stuck to the inside of the case.

[Later] I was wrong, it's Japanese: https://www.radiomuseum.org/r/crown_...tr_6550_s.html
Old 29th Apr 2018, 6:11 pm   #3
Martin Bush
Octode

Thanks Paul.

I can't see a missed screw. The only ones I can find left over are, I think, not connected to the case (ie. one for the voltage selector and one on the tape mech). That said it feels as though there's a knob that needs pulling off or something similar if you know what I mean.

Martin
Old 29th Apr 2018, 7:46 pm   #4
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Post some pics, Martin.
Old 29th Apr 2018, 7:51 pm   #5
llama
Octode

Sometimes fixing screws are hidden underneath self-stick rubber feet. Many a set-top box is like that, for instance.
Graham
Old 29th Apr 2018, 9:23 pm   #6
camtechman
Nonode

By the by, Crown also made some products for Ferguson.
Old 29th Apr 2018, 11:12 pm   #7
Martin Bush
Octode

Thanks for the feedback everyone. I will take some pictures soon once I've had another proper look to make sure I've not missed anything really obvious.

The Bush service info Camtechman directed me to on my other thread gave really clear instructions on how to get inside, so I was hoping there would be something similar for this one.

I've started cleaning up the case and seem to be doing OK with that. I've found the rubberised end of the handle of a cheap toothbrush is very good for removing paint splashes from the slightly textured areas.

The other bonus is that the tape that must have been sat in this machine for decades, which I'd presumed was some random content, turns out to be a Gene Pitney album. How do I know? It's printed on the leader tape. I think I'm his biggest fan for miles around!

Martin