UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players

Notices

Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players Open-reel tape recorders, cassette recorders, 8-track players etc.

Closed Thread

Old 13th Aug 2018, 9:14 am   #1
Mach One
Heptode

Default Recording Device Identification

Here's a bit of an odd question:

I saw a film the other month. It was obviously an italian film from - lets say - 1960. I saw it in its German translated version and the film title translated into English would be something like "The Postman". The film was nothing remarkable but a piece of early recording equipment that the film made reference to caught my eye.

It looked the shape of a bakelite version of an early Apple iMac! It was a similar shape but probably about half the size. It was obviously a voice recorder / dictation machine with a built-in speaker and external microphone and something that looked like a video cassette / book sized item was slipped into the front of the machine to make the recording.

Any ideas? I have seen nothing like it...
Old 16th Aug 2018, 11:31 pm   #2
Graham G3ZVT
Dekatron

Default Re: Recording Device Identification

Was it this 1985 film, set in 1950 "Il Postino"?

https://youtu.be/l-wrM1ptyHM?t=76
Looks like we just miss him inserting the "media".
Old 23rd Aug 2018, 3:12 pm   #3
Mach One
Heptode

Sorry for the delay. Yes, that’s it ...
Old 23rd Aug 2018, 3:32 pm   #4
raditechman
Heptode

It seems you can watch the whole film on You Tube in Italian.
I looked at the scenes with the recorder, no idea what it is, the cartridge/cassette looks almost as large as a VHS tape. Something unique to Italy or a film prop.

John
Closed Thread