UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Computers

Notices

Vintage Computers Any vintage computer systems, calculators, video games etc., but with an emphasis on 1980s and earlier equipment.

Old 1st Apr 2018, 2:23 pm   #1
OldTechFan96
Hexode

Default Any Apple II Users Here?

For a while I've have been looking (on and off) for a Super Serial Card for my Apple IIe and have not turned anything up.

Recently I saw a different serial card and snapped it up. The problem is that I can't find any information about it online, making it difficult to set up. It is a Symtec LP-106. It has adjustable switches for setting transfer speeds (I think?).

Is there anything I can do to know that it is working? Such as a command that tells me that the Apple IIe can see the card?

Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	102_6278.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	110.8 KB
ID:	160290   Click image for larger version

Name:	102_6280.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	92.6 KB
ID:	160291   Click image for larger version

Name:	102_6281.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	52.2 KB
ID:	160292   Click image for larger version

Name:	102_6285.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	73.0 KB
ID:	160293  
OldTechFan96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st Apr 2018, 3:40 pm   #2
TonyDuell
Nonode

Default Re: Any Apple II Users Here?

I avoid the Apple ][ as much as possible, but...

Are you sure it's a serial interface card, because I don't think it is. The ICs are not what I would expect. The Super Serial card had a hardware serial-parallel converter IC on it (I forget if it was a 6551 or a 6850), as opposed to using the Apple's 6502 processor to bit-bang serial data (which is what the original serial card did). But both the original card and the Super Serial card had a couple of PROMs on them containing firmware to drive the card (you could do PR#<slot> where <slot> is the number of the slot the card was put it and all output would go to the serial port, for example). I've seen other Apple ][ serial cards with the 6850, etc, on them, all have firmware PROMs.

I do not see such PROMs or a hardware serial-parallel converter on that board. And there is not enough TTL to do the conversion that way.

The DE9 connector (if it's original to the card) is wrong too. A serial port in those days would be a DB25.
TonyDuell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st Apr 2018, 5:55 pm   #3
GrahamN
Hexode

The lead doesn't have a suitable connector on the board, so probably is nothing to do with it. A similar, though not identical board made by Symtec is a light pen interface.

http://www.computerhistory.org/colle...alog/102647175
GrahamN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd Apr 2018, 1:28 am   #4
arjoll
Nonode

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldTechFan96 View Post
It is a Symtec LP-106.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrahamN View Post
A similar, though not identical board made by Symtec is a light pen interface.
Definately not a Super Serial card.

I'd also guess this is a light pen interface - especially given "LP" in the model number! It also has a couple of preset pots - you'd have no need for those on a serial card, but they are used on the light pen interface.

Documentation for a similar card is here.

I have three IIes and a IIc - I tend to use the IIc if I ever need serial because of the built-in port. Considering I haven't paid anything for my Apples to far, I probably should splash out on a Super Serial sometime but just haven't gotten around to it.
arjoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd Apr 2018, 9:56 am   #5
OldTechFan96
Hexode

Thanks for all of the information everybody!

I'm now convinced that this is not what I thought it was. It was sold as a generic serial card so that is why it grabbed my attention.
OldTechFan96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th Sep 2018, 12:50 pm   #6
fmcchrystal
Diode

Hi there,

I have a serial/parallel card for Apple II and a couple of EPROM programmers, as we are both in the same city, you are welcome to have them.

Regards
fmcchrystal is offline   Reply With Quote