UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 8th Jun 2012, 7:29 am   #1
crackle
Rest in Peace

Default Kb 321

Hi
I have bought a KB 321 and have been going through the circuit slowly testing each part.
The diagnosis so far is the loudspeaker field winding is open circuit and VI screen resistor is also open circuit.
The electrolytics are all US the other capacitors seem reasonable. I have yet to test the valve heaters.
The resistors are incredibly close to the marked value and are easily within 10% remarkable for the age. Most of the components are held in spring clips so are easy to remove and test, I am cleaning the contacts as I refit them.

The 12k HF screen resistor is fairly large at approx. 30 x 10mm and would appear to be about 5 watt. The 10k 2 watt resistor is there just to help get a scale.
Am I correct in thinking that if the HT is 250v and the screen voltage is 75v then the power in this resistor is about 2.5 watt. I was hoping to fit a 3 watt ww resistor inside the hollow ceramic body of the old resistor.

I have stripped down the speaker field winding in the remote chance of finding the break external, but no chance, it must be somewhere in the centre of the mass of coils.
I don’t suppose there is any body who is going to Harpenden who has a good 8 inch speaker spare which they want to sell.

Thanks
Mike
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	KB321.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	45.1 KB
ID:	67482   Click image for larger version

Name:	KB_321_chassis_front.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	93.4 KB
ID:	67483   Click image for larger version

Name:	KB_321_chassis_under.jpg
Views:	123
Size:	89.5 KB
ID:	67484   Click image for larger version

Name:	KB_321_cir clip.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	73.0 KB
ID:	67485   Click image for larger version

Name:	KB321 12k.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	57.4 KB
ID:	67486  

Old 8th Jun 2012, 10:28 am   #2
TrevorG3VLF
Rest in Peace

Default Re: Kb 321

I agree with your calculation of the resistor power however, if you put it inside a sleeve, it will reduce the permissible dissipation. It might get hot and bothered.
Old 8th Jun 2012, 12:39 pm   #3
crackle
Rest in Peace

Hi
I was wondering if any one could help me understand why the 2 resistors acting as a potential divider for the screen have to draw as much 14mA when the screen only needs 1.5mA.
Would it be possible to increase the proportional resistance’s of the screen resistance’s by say a factor of 2 or 3 to reduce the heat and current draw.
Thanks
Mike
Old 8th Jun 2012, 12:47 pm   #4
Herald1360
Dekatron

That sounds like the old rule of thumb that for a reasonably stable voltage output from a potential divider, you need a chain current around 10X the load current, especially if the load varies somewhat.

At risk of inviting trouble, you could replace the bottom resistor by a zener chain pulling about 3mA off load
.........O..Chris....O
Old 10th Jun 2012, 9:16 pm   #5
crackle
Rest in Peace

Hi Chris
I think I will replace with same value in that case.
Thanks
Mike
Closed Thread