UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Other Discussions > Homebrew Equipment

Notices

Homebrew Equipment A place to show, design and discuss the weird and wonderful electronic creations from the hands of individual members.

Old 28th Feb 2024, 10:08 am   #1
Malcolm T
Hexode

Default Using different solder types

Is there any info on the forum about using 60/40 solder with new components pre tinned with lead free solder and the use of re flow flux, has anyone had any experience of this please ?.
Malcolm T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th Feb 2024, 11:57 am   #2
cmjones01
Nonode

Default Re: Using different solder types

Don't worry about it. I've been mixing 60/40 tin/lead and lead free (mostly SAC305 alloy) solders in my lab since the whole RoHS thing in 2006 and never had any problems. If a joint fails, it's always because I've not soldered it properly, not because of any weird metallurgical issues.

I'm doing prototyping, development and repairs, not volume production, but for hobby use I'd say there's absolutely nothing to worry about.

Chris
Old 28th Feb 2024, 12:14 pm   #3
kalee20
Dekatron

There's no problem. Use 60/40 as you always would.

(It's the other way round that there's a problem - using lead-free on leads coated with 60/40. You need no lead, or quite a bit - there's a no-mans-land concentration range, of just a very few percent lead, which leads to a brittle joint).
kalee20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th Feb 2024, 1:55 pm   #4
Malcolm T
Hexode

Many thanks for the feedback .
I will continue with the 60/40 !
Malcolm T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th Feb 2024, 5:30 pm   #5
emeritus
Dekatron

I was taught on a workshop course many years ago that tin progressively diffuses from solder to copper, and vice versa. The reduced tin content and increased copper content of old solder, raises its melting point, which is why very old solder can be difficult to melt unless assisted by a dab of fresh tin/lead solder to dilute it and lower its melting point. I believe that tin/lead solder is still required for certain applications where high reliability is essential.
emeritus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th Feb 2024, 7:57 pm   #6
kalee20
Dekatron

Tin/lead is certainly required for hi-rel applications, the company I work for uses it in the majority of cases.

In the fullness of time, it may be that unleaded solder is accepted in this industry too. Right now, lead-free has no long-life pedigree, and both tin whiskers and tin pest are known problems with lead-free solder (and are inhibited by the presence of lead). And the niche industries, being relatively small volume and which don't end up in landfill generally, don't negate the general aim which is to keep lead out of the immediate environment.
kalee20 is offline   Reply With Quote