UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Amateur and Military Radio

Notices

Vintage Amateur and Military Radio Amateur/military receivers and transmitters, morse, and any other related vintage comms equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 30th Sep 2020, 2:46 pm   #1
TALKINGWITHPYE
Pentode

Location: Carrickfergus, County Antrim, Northern Ireland, UK.
Default Philips FM1100 transportable charging connections

Hello from Dave. Some people may find this information useful if you have the transportable unit for the Philips FM1100 but do not have the charger. Pin 1 of the din socket is charger positive. Pin 2 is charger negative and pin 5 is charger connected sense which is taken to positive. I got this information from dismantaling an old unit.The original batteries would be well out of usefulness by now but I found the ones in the unit I dismantled were 4.5 Ah D cells wrapped in adhiesive tape. Expensive to replace but if you wish to try a charge you now have the connection information. From what i remember the original battery pack was 7 Ah but I doubt if you could find a source of these packs now.
Old 30th Sep 2020, 4:24 pm   #2
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

Default Re: Philips FM1100 transportable charging connections

Good to have this info: I've never managed to acquire a porta-FM1100/1200 but it's on my wants-list and if I see one hiding under a table at a rally....

[I've got an 86.4375MHZ AM Porta-Westminster in the attic; it has cardboard-cased, tag-ended D-cells, dated 1981. All long-dead, and look like they're not the originals anyway]
Old 30th Sep 2020, 6:20 pm   #3

Modern AA size cells are about 2Ah, so two or three in parallel would do nicely and fit.

Old 1st Oct 2020, 10:21 am   #4
TALKINGWITHPYE
Pentode

Location: Carrickfergus, County Antrim, Northern Ireland, UK.

Hello again, glad to see that my info is of use. I must add that I have seen theese units on other sites with an XLR connector below the speaker. The unit I stripped had the 5 pin din socket on the side opposite the aerial connector, so obviously there were variations of the transportable unit, any I saw in my working life with Philips were the ones with the din socket.

Dave
Closed Thread