UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Amateur and Military Radio

Notices

Vintage Amateur and Military Radio Amateur/military receivers and transmitters, morse, and any other related vintage comms equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 28th Sep 2020, 9:34 am   #1
Scimitar
Heptode

Default RTTY contacts sought on S12 AFSK

I have been putting out many CQ calls on the AFSK calling frequency for some time with zero response. My coverage is fairly extensive, from Gloucester to about 100 miles radius and down as far as the Isle of Wight.

Some of the time I am blocked by a selfish bunch from the Black country who have adopted S12 as their "community" channel so northern stations may not hear me when they are on. (Polite requests to them were met with "tuff")

I can use 45.45 or 50 Baud and would appreciate any contacts evenings and weekends. I am negotiating to start up the GB2ATG service once again, but seeds I have sown have yet to germinate!

Currently using an Arduino system because I have yet to locate a 444 at a reasonable price.
Old 28th Sep 2020, 5:59 pm   #2
Graham G3ZVT
Dekatron

Default Re: RTTY contacts sought on S12 AFSK

145.300 Mhz in new money.
AFSK presumably.
Old 28th Sep 2020, 7:27 pm   #3
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

I don't see why you should have any expectation of a 'reserved' frequency for FSK RTTY (which, it has to be said, is really very much a 'legacy' mode); given the spectacularly-low occupancy of 2M these days it shouldn't be hard to find a clear frequency for a pre-arranged sked - though I suspect that the number of UK 2M stations with RTTY capability could these days be counted on the fingers-and-thumbs of a "Norfolk Hand".

[The same applies to 300/1200-baud Packet-radio - it was a big thing back in the 90s but now it's entirely extinct]
Old 28th Sep 2020, 7:37 pm   #4
Scimitar
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by G6Tanuki View Post
I don't see why you should have any expectation of a 'reserved' frequency for FSK RTTY (which, it has to be said, is really very much a 'legacy' mode); given the spectacularly-low occupancy of 2M these days it shouldn't be hard to find a clear frequency for a pre-arranged sked - though I suspect that the number of UK 2M stations with RTTY capability could these days be counted on the fingers-and-thumbs of a "Norfolk Hand".
Except that it was designated as a CALLING and working channel. It where other station EXPECT to hear other RTTY stations calling. I could turn your argument on its head and point out that there are plenty of available channels for people to use in *their* preferred way without selfishly stamping on the ONLY nominated channel for a particular mode.

I am asking for other stations so that the activity can be increased a bit, there are plenty out there as a brief listen on HF will prove. It is something of a "chicken and egg" situation; nobody hears any activity, so nobody bothers calling. I am hoping to change that.
Old 29th Sep 2020, 9:23 am   #5
G3VKM_Roger
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scimitar View Post
I have been putting out many CQ calls on the AFSK calling frequency for some time with zero response. My coverage is fairly extensive, from Gloucester to about 100 miles radius and down as far as the Isle of Wight.

Some of the time I am blocked by a selfish bunch from the Black country who have adopted S12 as their "community" channel so northern stations may not hear me when they are on. (Polite requests to them were met with "tuff")

I can use 45.45 or 50 Baud and would appreciate any contacts evenings and weekends. I am negotiating to start up the GB2ATG service once again, but seeds I have sown have yet to germinate!

Currently using an Arduino system because I have yet to locate a 444 at a reasonable price.
I have a PK232 which I can put on RTTY given a day or two to find the cables in the loft and hook it up! It's a long haul for a 2 metre QSO on any mode (I'm in Norfolk) but if we get a few lifts it might be possible.

Roger
Old 29th Sep 2020, 10:07 am   #6
Scimitar
Heptode

It's worth a try Roger. I can point a vertical beam in your direction but I think that we may be pushing our luck!
Closed Thread