UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players

Notices

Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players Open-reel tape recorders, cassette recorders, 8-track players etc.

Closed Thread

Old 17th Aug 2017, 7:56 am   #1
AdrianA
Retired Dormant Member

Default Ferguson 3210 Reel to Reel Fast Fwd & Rewind

I have a 3210 which is in mint condition, and plays perfectly, but both the rewind and fast forward mechanisms do not function. When either of them is pressed the unit continues in PLAY mode, as the drive wheel is not being pulled away from contact, and neither of the wheels designed to move the tape reels is engaged. Does anyone have a service manual which may help me pinpoint what the likely issue with this is, or otherwise, does anyone know how it is supposed to operate on FF and REW?
Any guidance would be greatly appreciated.
Old 17th Aug 2017, 10:16 am   #2
Andrew2
Nonode

Default Re: Ferguson 3210 Reel to Reel Fast Fwd & Rewind

That is the very model I had when I were a lad (actually mine was a 3224 but AFAIR they were almost identical). The deck itself is nicely engineered and a good, stable performer, but after years of disuse various parts can seize up due to the grease hardening into a solid lump.
The reel carriers are on small diecast bushes that are meant to move a few mm to engage with the drive in FF and REW modes, but they will almost certainly be stuck. There's a fair bit of dismantling to do to remove them for cleaning, but as long as you go at it in a logical fashion you should be OK. You may need to gently heat the bearings to free them.
While you are in there you should inspect the deck for similar things going on in other parts of the deck. Chances are the rubber belts and idlers are showing signs of distress as well. Good luck, those are nice recorders.
Old 22nd Aug 2017, 3:24 am   #3
AdrianA
Retired Dormant Member

Default Re: Ferguson 3210 Reel to Reel Fast Fwd & Rewind

Thanks so much for the advice Andy.
I will tackle it in a systematic way and see how I go.
Cheers
Adrian
Closed Thread