UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Telephony and Telecomms

Notices

Vintage Telephony and Telecomms Vintage Telephones, Telephony and Telecomms Equipment

Closed Thread

Old 4th Jul 2017, 9:13 pm   #1
Eidolon
Hexode

Default Bell Stowaway Phone

Well, that was unexpected -

My former neighbour, who works in a SKipyard just poppped round, and dropped me off a boxed American Bell Stowaway phone. Rather nice, solid oak box that opens up to reveal a touch-tone phone inside. Dated 1980 from information on the box.

The cables that were boxed in with it were different to UK standard.

Is it possible to get this phone working here in the UK, or is the system incompatible? Thanks

One like this: http://www.paul-f.com/Recollections/stowaway.jpg

Last edited by Eidolon; 4th Jul 2017 at 9:15 pm. Reason: .
Old 4th Jul 2017, 9:24 pm   #2
TonyDuell
Dekatron

Default Re: Bell Stowaway Phone

I assume the cable ends in a normal 6p4c plug, the telephone is, I think, too modern to have the old, large, square 4-pin plug.

In which case all you need is a simple adapter like Maplin AR34M (although I suspect that price is rather high). It is simply a matter of getting the 2 telephone wires (middle 2 contacts of the 6p4c plug) onto the right contacts (outer 2) of the BT Plug 431A.
Old 4th Jul 2017, 10:29 pm   #3
Graham G3ZVT
Dekatron

Agreed.
And a spare ADSL filter makes an ideal adaptor!
Old 19th Jul 2017, 11:00 pm   #4
Eidolon
Hexode

So can it just be plugged into the ASDL port in the adaptor without any alterations to the adaptor being made? I have one, used for my internet, but i'd be very tempted to just try it out to see if this phone works.
Old 20th Jul 2017, 12:26 am   #5
hamid_1
Heptode

Yes that's right, just plug the Bell phone into the modem socket on your ADSL filter. It will work without any modifications.

Bear in mind that if you have ADSL broadband on your home phone line, you really need to plug the phone into a spare ADSL filter, then plug the spare filter into the phone socket of an existing filter. This is because the modem socket on the ADSL splitter is not filtered, only the BT phone socket is. Plugging a spare ADSL filter into the phone socket of an existing filter will make both its BT phone and modem sockets filtered.

If you plug your Bell phone into the modem port of an ADSL filter directly on your BT wall socket, without using an additional filter, the phone will be unfiltered. You may hear a buzzing noise in your phone's earpiece, and your broadband may slow down or disconnect while you are using the phone. No damage will be done, but it will soon become inconvenient to use the phone without a second filter. You can do this as a quick test to see if it works, if successful then get another filter or US to UK adaptor for permanent use. Spare ADSL filters are easy to come by. Millions are given away with routers and BT Home Hubs. Ask a friend, neighbour or work colleague if they have a spare one lying around.
Closed Thread