UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Television Standards Converters, Modulators etc

Notices

Television Standards Converters, Modulators etc Standards converters, modulators anything else for providing signals to vintage televisions.

Closed Thread

Old 18th May 2010, 1:52 am   #1
tubesrule
Hexode

Default Aurora test card audio tone frequency

While stumbling around the web tonight I came across what appears to be an oversight on my part in my converters. When I added the audio test tone to the rev 2.x and later hardware I coded it for 1kHz which is a modern standard. I realize now that the most commonly used test tone in the early days was 440Hz. Since I will be building a new batch of converters shortly I wanted to get some thoughts on whether I should leave the tone at 1kHz or change it to 440Hz.

Darryl
Old 18th May 2010, 6:35 am   #2
Steve_P
Dekatron

Default Re: Aurora test card audio tone frequency

1 Khz tone is fine by me. It is used as a test tone just about everywhere I have worked.

In the UK, BBC1 was 1 Khz, BBC2 was 440 Hz.

Cheers,

Steve P.
Old 18th May 2010, 7:43 am   #3
ppppenguin
Retired Dormant Member

IMO 440Hz is easier on the ear. Otherwise not important.
Old 18th May 2010, 9:42 am   #4
Tazman1966
Nonode

I'm with Jeffrey B on this. 440Hz is "nicer"! As you point out, it's the more authentic of the tones - unless of course you're going to reprogram the unit with test card D as an image...
Old 18th May 2010, 1:31 pm   #5
tubesrule
Hexode

I have to say that I find 440 easier to listen to as well, but like Steve I almost expect the 1kHz since it's used just about everywhere today. This is just a firmware change so I have time to collect feedback until I'll need to program the units.

Darryl
Closed Thread