UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Television Standards Converters, Modulators etc

Notices

Television Standards Converters, Modulators etc Standards converters, modulators anything else for providing signals to vintage televisions.

Closed Thread

Old 18th Jan 2016, 3:25 pm   #21
ramblers37
Retired Dormant Member

Default Re: Vintage TV Help!!! 1958 Bang & Olufsen

Question! My RF modulator is for PAL tv system, wouldn´t that make it incorrect for a 1958 danish tv?
Old 18th Jan 2016, 4:02 pm   #22
dragonser
Heptode

Hi,
that is a very nice television receiver you have.
From looking at the instructions that come with the modulator... it is possible to change the output spacing of the sound and vision signals . This is so the modulator is compatible with different countries. It would be worth checking which output spacing has been selected. 4.5 mhz is used in mostly the Usa
the uk uses 6.0 mhz
I don't actually know what standard would be required for a Danish Tv, but I would try the 5.5 mhz sound vision spacing.
Another point which I don't yet know the answer to, if you change the sound vision spacing, has the modulator been made so that it also changes the channel allocation ? As I think different countries use different channel frequencies.
I do have a dragonsat modulator here that does cover VHF as well as UHF, and also does the different sound vision spacings .
regards Peter B
Old 18th Jan 2016, 4:08 pm   #23
Station X

Quote:
Originally Posted by ramblers37 View Post
Question! My RF modulator is for PAL tv system, wouldn´t that make it incorrect for a 1958 danish tv?
PAL is a colour television system.

What we need to know is what TV broadcasting frequencies were used in Denmark in 1958 and the number of lines the picture had.

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Old 18th Jan 2016, 4:52 pm   #24
SteveCG
Nonode

My understanding is that Denmark used the System B TV standard from the outset, so the sound vision spacing should be 5.5 MHz. I reckon that a set from that era would only cover the VHF TV bands.
Old 18th Jan 2016, 6:43 pm   #25
ramblers37
Retired Dormant Member

Yes that i also belive to be true. system B
Old 18th Jan 2016, 6:48 pm   #26
ramblers37
Retired Dormant Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonser View Post
I don't actually know what standard would be required for a Danish Tv, but I would try the 5.5 mhz sound vision spacing.
Another point which I don't yet know the answer to, if you change the sound vision spacing, has the modulator been made so that it also changes the channel allocation ? As I think different countries use different channel frequencies.
I have a friend that doesn´t have any mechanical understanding, no matter how much or simple I explain things. Today I think I know how he feels
Channel allocation? sound vision spacing? I do not know! he he. But I do recall having read that system B uses 5.5 MHz
Old 18th Jan 2016, 6:54 pm   #27
kan_turk
Hexode

I can confirm that Denmark used system 'B' - 7MHz channel spacing with sound carrier at 5.5MHz - VHF channels 2 - 4 in band 1 and channels 5 - 12 in band 3 (later when additional spectrum was required UHF channels 21 - 68 were employed using system 'G' (a variant of 'B') when colour arrived it was indeed PAL and used the existing channels
Old 18th Jan 2016, 7:07 pm   #28
ramblers37
Retired Dormant Member

So was does this mean? i need a modulator where I can set the channel spacing and also the sound carrier? is the channel spacing perhaps the same now as back then?
Questions from an ignorent! sorry
Old 18th Jan 2016, 7:37 pm   #29
dragonser
Heptode

Hi,
sorry for not making my post clearer. according to the yellow page you have shown, the modulator you can be switched for several different Tv systems, and 5.5 mhz is one of the options. you would need to hold down the channel up and channel down buttons for three seconds, then the display changes from the channel number to show the sound vision spacing. then you could check it is set to 5.5 . then power the modulator off and then back on again.
if it were me I would try setting the television to one of the channels where you get snow, and then changing the lower channel selected on the modulator and see if you get a picture and sound. I mean the channels 13 or below.
does the television work on fm radio ?
regards Peter B
Old 19th Jan 2016, 1:40 am   #30
kan_turk
Hexode

Hi - I would disregard the sound spacing for the present - it has no relevance until you get a picture - set channel to '2' by pressing button on modulator until '02' appears on readout and set TV channel selector to '2' only valid channels are 2 - 12 (there is no ch 1 or 13) use fine tuning knob (concentric with channel selector) to peak signal

Last edited by kan_turk; 19th Jan 2016 at 1:42 am. Reason: Error in original
Old 19th Jan 2016, 4:16 pm   #31
peter_sol
Octode

Sound spacing is for FM sound surely this set will be AM for the TV sound.
Old 19th Jan 2016, 5:30 pm   #32
Nuvistor
Dekatron

System B, which we think this set is would be FM at 5.5Mhz offset from the vision carrier.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Broa...vision_systems

Frank
Old 19th Jan 2016, 8:04 pm   #33
kan_turk
Hexode

I think considerable confusion has been introduced to this thread by a misunderstanding of western European TV standards and an attempt, however well meaning, to superimpose British 405 line parameters on the current issue - system 'B' used in most of western Europe including Denmark (7MHz channel spacing, neg vis modulation, FM sound spaced 5.5MHz from vision carrier - ch No.s 2 t- 4. 5 - 12) - the modulator described in post #1 is compatible with system 'B' - sorry to be so blunt but I feel that misinformation is impairing assistance to the OP - kindest regards to all, John
Old 19th Jan 2016, 11:39 pm   #34
German Dalek
Hexode

Hi,
I am just entering the discussion a little late, I own the same set.
Please contact a very good friend of mine from the Radiomuseum Ringsted (Bjarne).
You can get there all kind of help.

http://www.radiomuseum.dk/

Good luck,

German Dalek

MARC BOLAN, he was/is the real king of Pop Music!
Old 21st Jan 2016, 10:22 am   #35
Heatercathodeshort
Dekatron

A very interesting receiver. It has a look similar to our PYE V2 12" model from 1952/3. John.
Old 24th Jan 2016, 9:31 pm   #36
ramblers37
Retired Dormant Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kan_turk View Post
I think considerable confusion has been introduced to this thread by a misunderstanding of western European TV standards and an attempt, however well meaning, to superimpose British 405 line parameters on the current issue - system 'B' used in most of western Europe including Denmark (7MHz channel spacing, neg vis modulation, FM sound spaced 5.5MHz from vision carrier - ch No.s 2 t- 4. 5 - 12) - the modulator described in post #1 is compatible with system 'B' - sorry to be so blunt but I feel that misinformation is impairing assistance to the OP - kindest regards to all, John
So what is your conclusion? Should it work? I have tried channel four and five on the modulater and searched on all the channels on the tv. Is my setup correct? Good antenna signal into the mpeg4 box, SCART to the modulater, rf cable to the tv?
Old 25th Jan 2016, 2:30 am   #37
kan_turk
Hexode

Hi - I had bowed out of the discussion as I thought you had got assistance nearer to home but yes it should work - I would set the modulator and TV both to the same channel (I suggest only try ch 2 - 4 for a start as these are in the same band) a close-up pic of the channel selector on the TV would be useful - best of luck
Old 25th Jan 2016, 2:26 pm   #38
Nuvistor
Dekatron

Re post 11, Have you tried Julie's suggestion of feeding the modulator to a more modern known working analogue TV.
Once you get the modulator etc proved good you can then try it on the vintage TV.
Frank
Old 25th Jan 2016, 11:08 pm   #39
ramblers37
Retired Dormant Member

Yes i did that and it works fine.
I tried the fm radio in the set and it doesn´t work, so for now I thank you all for your help. The Bang and Olufsen is going to the mechanic
Hopefully it returns in good working order
I will post it as soon as there is any news.

Thank you all!!
Ole Skov, Denmark
Old 25th Jan 2016, 11:15 pm   #40
Nuvistor
Dekatron

Look forward to the news it is all working and some photos.

Frank
Closed Thread