UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Websites

Notices

Websites Found an interesting website? Post the details here and share it with the rest of us. Please stick to websites that are in some way related to our hobby/interest.

Closed Thread

Old 30th Jan 2011, 8:30 pm   #1
oldticktock
Retired Dormant Member

Default Rediffusion

Here's one for the North East lads, http://www.rediffusion.info/NorthEast/

Interesting photos around the region and a nice one of the Newton Aycliffe workshop, is that a telequipment scope on the bench bottom bench right side? Hey Malc is that where you worked?

A fascinating read and going to the Main website, there's a wealth of information

Last edited by oldticktock; 30th Jan 2011 at 8:40 pm.
Old 31st Jan 2011, 11:40 am   #2
MALC SCOTT
Octode

Default Re: Rediffusion

Yes, that is where i worked for 10 years. The photo is of the network workshop where all of the repeaters and systems equipment were serviced.
The chap standing up is Ron Land, the depot manager.
Old 31st Jan 2011, 12:08 pm   #3
oldticktock
Retired Dormant Member

Great stuff Malc, thought It must have been your place from the chats we've had, nice to have names to faces too.

I like the work bench areas they look very well thought out and the circular bit on the lower bench, I guess that's so you can easily spin the set around. Go on then what's the set that's showing testcard F?

Great website and seeing the Refiffusion Chevette vans too. I clearly remember playing around one of my mates around 71/72 his dad had a Rediffusion transit always remember the logo and peeking inside seeing all cool bits n pieces.

Chris
Old 31st Jan 2011, 12:37 pm   #4
MALC SCOTT
Octode

The set is a Rediffusion MK10 cable set. These were used as monitors to check on the quality of the stations which were piped out to Newton Aycliffe and Darlington. They were never switched off. Later, when colour was piped out, we used dual standard GEC ctv sets as monitors. They were the same as a normal aerial set, but the i/f deck was replaced with an s/f panel and they had no tuner fitted. These were built for Rediffusion by Gec and were rented out in vast numbers. They proved to be very reliable sets for the time, producing very good colour pictures. In the control room there was a bank of cable sets monitoring BBC1, BBC2, Tyne tees and Yorkshire 24/7.