UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Clubs, Groups and Societies

Notices

Clubs, Groups and Societies For discussions about various clubs, groups and societies relating to our hobbies, such as the BVWS (incl RetroTechUK), BATC, RSGB, APTS, CLPGS, THG, TCC, BECG, MCR21 etc. This is NOT an official forum for any of these organisations.

Closed Thread

Old 12th Apr 2019, 10:54 am   #1
high_vacuum_house
Octode

Smile Hack Green bunker sale 14 April

Good morning,
I have been mulling over whether to go along to the Hack Green bunker sale which is this Sunday. I have never been to this event and was wandering if anyone here has any past experience of this event I.e the event size, type and age of the equipment for sale (I.e vintage radio and test equipment or more 1990’s obsolete computer stuff) and wether it is indoors if the weather is poor. Just concerned as it mentions vehicle parts for sale and it’s quite a long drive out from Rugby to find not much interesting vintage electronic equipment.
Many thanks,
Christopher Capener
Old 12th Apr 2019, 11:03 am   #2
MrBungle
Dekatron

Default Re: Hack Green bunker sale 14 April

There's Kempton on as well which I will be going to. Approximately the same time and distance in the opposite direction. http://radiofairs.org.uk/

That's mostly 80s, 90s test gear, new amateur radio stuff, random junk.
Old 12th Apr 2019, 12:02 pm   #3
Dave Moll
Dekatron

What a shame I'm otherwise engaged on Sunday (THG meet at Avoncroft - everyone seems to have picked the same date!) The Hack Green site, being not far from J16 of the M6 is one of the more accessible events for me, and possibly of interest depending on what they mean by "communications equipment". I didn't know of its existence until I saw Chris's post, so I'll have to look out for next year's sale if it succeeds in avoiding the same date as Avoncroft and Golborne in April 2020.
Old 12th Apr 2019, 1:19 pm   #4
McMurdo
Dekatron

It's held mainly indoors for the radio stuff in a sort of big modern 'shed' they call the hangar, with a selection of outdoor stalls selling the usual military surplus stuff, clothing, equipment etc.. Lots of interesting things to rifle through, domestic radios, components, microphones and speakers, racks of fascinating MOD expensive-looking equipment, old walkie talkies and cb paraphernalia, rolls of cable, that sort of thing. Last time I went there was an outdoor stall with literally buckets full of bulbs, croc clips, jack plugs, indicators etc.

Hack Green itself is an interesting place to visit, so it's a full day out by the time you've been over the stalls and then had a wander around the nuclear bunker and gazed at the rotating radar which they usually have going for these events.

You pay once for the fair and then again for the bunker, or whichever you choose. Free parking right next to the place. Tea & cakes available in the hangar and then a full-blown restaurant in the bunker.

Old 12th Apr 2019, 4:25 pm   #5
Dave757
Heptode

Hi

I had a stall there on a couple of occasions four or five years ago, and I found trade very brisk.
Other than that I can't add anything to McMurdo's description.

Kind regards
Dave
Old 12th Apr 2019, 6:14 pm   #6
Dave Moll
Dekatron

I may well give it a try next year if it does manage to avoid clashing.
Old 12th Apr 2019, 8:33 pm   #7
high_vacuum_house
Octode

Good evening,
Many thanks for your replies, It certainly sounds promising, I might be tempted to go along. At least it sounds like there will be a decent percentage of vintage electronics and test equipment and not too many old MOD tin hats, mess tins, old forces vehicle bits and old computer tat

Christopher Capener
Old 13th Apr 2019, 3:56 pm   #8
dave walsh
Dekatron

Location: Ramsbottom (Nr Bury) Lancs or Bexhill (Nr Hastings) Sussex.

I've never got there Chris, even from Manchester. If you go it will be interesting to hear the feedback!

Dave
Old 13th Apr 2019, 9:30 pm   #9
factory
Octode

It varies a lot for the type of stuff on the stalls, all depends on what people bring.
There is a video of the 2014 rally on youtube:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qbJ_KyQAgoI
I'm sure there was a more recent video, but as it was posted on social media it is impossible to find again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by McMurdo View Post
Tea & cakes available in the hangar and then a full-blown restaurant in the bunker.
Note: the cafe in the bunker is only accessible if you pay the entrance fee for the bunker, I found this out the second time I went (I did go round the first time I went, it's well worth a look round if you haven't been before).

David
Old 13th Apr 2019, 9:35 pm   #10
MrBungle
Dekatron

If it’s like kelvedon hatch bunker it’d be a good day out. Unless you have MrsBungle who dashed back to the car due to the claustrophobia. Or was that a blessing. Haven’t decided yet
Old 14th Apr 2019, 11:53 am   #11
high_vacuum_house
Octode

Good afternoon,
Unfortunately I couldn’t get there today. I have been feeling unwell last night and could not get much sleep. I was rather tired with a bad headache this morning and didn’t fancy risking a 1 1/2 hour drive each way. It’s a pity as the weather is good today. I will have to try to get there next year.

Christopher Capener
Old 14th Apr 2019, 4:03 pm   #12
sexton_mallard
Hexode

I visited today and had an interesting time. I picked up an ammeter, some ferrite rings and a CB PSU. It was exactly like Kevin (McMurdo) described above with lots of components on sale. I toured the bunker as well which contains (I believe) part of the Criggion VLF transmitter along with loads of transmission and other telecomms gear.

Less snakes...more ladders!
Old 14th Apr 2019, 7:31 pm   #13
factory
Octode

I spent a couple of hours there, bought a small HP 3311A function gen and a HW Sullivan AC test set from the Stoke club stall, I forgot to go back to look at the book stall which was busy.
I asked on the way out, they have changed to once a year for this event, also I didn't know that the Stoke radio club run the sale.

David
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SAM_3420a.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	84.0 KB
ID:	181350   Click image for larger version

Name:	SAM_3423a.jpg
Views:	130
Size:	64.2 KB
ID:	181351  
Old 14th Apr 2019, 9:44 pm   #14
MrBungle
Dekatron

Wish I’d gone there instead now. Kempton was rubbish!
Old 15th Apr 2019, 12:59 am   #15
Dave757
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by factory View Post
There is a video of the 2014 rally on youtube:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qbJ_KyQAgoI
I'm sure there was a more recent video, but as it was posted on social media it is impossible to find again.
Hi,

Many thanks for the video, That was one of the rallies where I had a stall. Sadly as my stall was at the far end of the centre island
I'm not on it, but my mate Bill, G6VJR was taking a walk round, and he is.

Kind regards
Dave
Old 19th Apr 2019, 10:10 pm   #16
russell_w_b
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBungle View Post
If it’s like kelvedon hatch bunker it’d be a good day out.
Kelvedon Hatch is a deep one -a former ROTOR station. But Hack Green was built in the Thatcher era and is only partly below ground. I'm sure Mrs Bungle would love it there as it's relatively airy, what with the ex-Marconi radar transmitter cabinets and parts of the former VLF Rugby transmitter.

Usual standby plant / ventilation / studio infrastructure too: well worth a visit. Vintage Land-Rover fanatics will love the place on the road in - they're stacked about four high!

Russell W. B.
G4YLI.
Old 19th Apr 2019, 10:21 pm   #17
MrBungle
Dekatron

Ooooh sold on all points. Had a series III, 90 and 110 so may just qualify for that. Thanks for the tip off

I'm starting to think I might be a stereotype
Old 20th Apr 2019, 11:04 am   #18
short wave
Pentode

Hack Green is a rally i try never to miss (only 1 when the beast from the east visited)There are 2 per year but October this year is canceled due to clashing events at H-G.
I can recomend it if you like older stuff
Old 22nd Apr 2019, 6:42 pm   #19
McMurdo
Dekatron

for the record, the hack green bunker was constructed as part of the ROTOR project in the 1950's and modernised in the 80's to form an RGHQ centre (regional government accomodation).

(source: Hack green website)

either way, there are several levels full of equipment to explore both 'in period' and 'brought it' as part of the museum collection; so once you've been around the stalls a few times there's the rest of the day taken care of if you're concerned about it being worth while travelling any great distance.