UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Websites

Notices

Websites Found an interesting website? Post the details here and share it with the rest of us. Please stick to websites that are in some way related to our hobby/interest.

Closed Thread

Old 15th Mar 2018, 3:07 am   #1
Terry_VK5TM
Nonode

Default Denco coil former 3D print

Not really sure where this should go, so, as it is a website link, I put it here.

There was/were some postings about DIY Denco coil formers a little while ago and while looking for something completely different, I came across this 3d printed version:-

http://213.114.131.21/3d/denco_sub_01.htm

Don't be put of by the numbers (ip address) as the site address, it belongs to Harry Lythall - SM0VPO, a well known experimenter in electronics and is safe.
Old 15th Mar 2018, 10:07 am   #2
MrBungle
Dekatron

Default Re: Denco coil former 3d print

That's rather good. I'm building up reasons to buy a 3d printer and this is yet another one!
Old 15th Mar 2018, 12:29 pm   #3
'LIVEWIRE?'
Rest in Peace

Default Re: Denco coil former 3D print

The only problem with those coils is that they (presumably) won't plug into a noval (B9A) valve-holder as did the original Green, Red , Yellow, Blue & White Denco Coils. I guess nowadays,though, soldering them to veroboard would be preferred by constructors.
Old 15th Mar 2018, 12:34 pm   #4
G6Tanuki
Dekatron

Fascinating! I wonder what the dielectric-properties are of the typical 3D-printer 'glue sticks' ?? Some kinds of plastic can be horribly RF-lossy [I've seen plastic tube of unknown provenance used to make 'traps' for antennas which has collapsed totally if challenged with 100 Watts of RF]

From memory, the original Denco coils had Polystyrene formers. They were never really good enough for stable HF-band VFOs.
Old 15th Mar 2018, 1:25 pm   #5
bobskie
Hexode

I recently got myself a 3d printer and have designed and printed a few useful things such as hoover parts. In the vintage radio hobby I was thinking replacement knobs would be a possibility and this is a very good idea too. I am however not very good at CAD so it's difficult but I'm learning slowly. Fortunately the community has a lot of designs ready made to occupy my time.
Old 15th Mar 2018, 2:29 pm   #6

To make a B9A 'plug' could one print around pins stuck in a socket?

Old 15th Mar 2018, 11:18 pm   #7
bobskie
Hexode

Unfortunately this wouldn't work as the print head would hit the pins as it moved back and forth building up the layers. It would probably be possible to make an interference fit, maybe with a dab of glue to hold them in place. The accuracy of the 3d printer frequently amazes me, I can even get a working screw thread out of it.

Cameron
Old 16th Mar 2018, 12:37 am   #8
Terry_VK5TM
Nonode

Default Re: Denco coil former 3d print

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBungle View Post
That's rather good. I'm building up reasons to buy a 3d printer and this is yet another one!
I'm looking for the space to put out what I already have.
The 3 axis cnc and small lathe are still in their boxes from 8 years ago (every time we move, the house we move into gets smaller and smaller).

Wonder if I can get the local Mens Shed to invest in a 3d printer?
Old 16th Mar 2018, 6:43 pm   #9
SiriusHardware
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by 'LIVEWIRE?' View Post
The only problem with those coils is that they (presumably) won't plug into a noval (B9A) valve-holder as did the original Green, Red , Yellow, Blue & White Denco Coils.
I have quite a few 70s era books, especially in the Babani range, all of which depend on the continuing availability of Denco coils for their projects. Should have built them while I had the chance. :-(

In reality though, with AM broadcasting so much in decline now I would, sadly, be very unlikely to start a scratchbuild project like that now even if the Denco ranges of front end, oscillator and IFT coils were still widely available.
Old 18th Mar 2018, 9:25 pm   #10
Anthony Thomas
Hexode

Birket has had B9A and B7G plugs until recently.
Closed Thread