UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players

Notices

Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players Open-reel tape recorders, cassette recorders, 8-track players etc.

Closed Thread

Old 16th Jul 2019, 4:05 pm   #1
Bradley Wright
Retired Dormant Member

Default Reps R10

I recently acquired my grandfathers old Reps R10 with heaps of tape recordings of their old parties, even my mother singing at 2 years old.

The problem is, I can't seem to get it working, when I hit play, the wheels don't turn and all I get is feed back.

PLEASE HELP
Old 16th Jul 2019, 4:54 pm   #2
paulsherwin

Default Re: Reps R10

It will need a basic relube and service at the very least, and probably a belt change. What is your level of expertise?
Old 16th Jul 2019, 5:27 pm   #3
Michael Maurice

That recorder uses a Collaro deck, but I’m not sure if its a two motor or three motor machine, either way Collar’s are complicated beasts and care is needed to strip them down, clean and relubricated them.

The rubber idlers often go hard and don’t grip properly.

The electronics will also require servicing and certain parts, mainly capacitors will need replacing.

http://www.michaelmauricerepairs.co.uk/
Old 16th Jul 2019, 10:11 pm   #4
Welsh Anorak
Dekatron

If the tapes are your primary concern, it might be worth investigating whether someone can help you transfer them onto CD, MP3 or whatever using a different recorder.

Of course if you're interested in getting your machine running again then we'll be glad to help, but as Michael says, it's not the easiest deck to work on, and we need to know how experienced you are in electronics and mechanics as both appear to need attention in your machine!
Old 17th Jul 2019, 2:08 pm   #5
Ted Kendall
Dekatron

I agree. The Reps was about the best machine ever to use the Studio deck - among other things they re-machined key deck components and used Bogen heads. Some machines also had a Prescollan (polyurethane) drive idler. Unfortunately, the last two are now a mixed blessing, as Bogen heads have a significant failure rate and the idlers are prone to turn to goo, a problem which sank the later Chilton 100S.

Best thing is to get the material transferred - I and others provide this service.
Old 17th Jul 2019, 3:49 pm   #6
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

The Collaro "Studio" deck uses three motors and this actually makes the mechanics far simpler than a one motor and belts unit. I think we can conclude the from the OP's wording he has a very lilmted experience and so this may need some 3rd party assistiance.