UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 14th Jun 2019, 5:00 pm   #41
Al (astral highway)
Dekatron

Default Re: Garrard AT-6 stereo cartridge, or whole headshell replacement?

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter_sol View Post
The problem with the ceramic cartridges is lower output...
This has been discussed many times.
The best solution is a preamp of high input impedance possibly using a FET transistor.

Sure Peter, nothing new here... but this thread isn't about the relative properties of ceramic vs crystal cartridges; there is indeed plenty of info on the forum about this.

If you read through my last post (no 38) it summarises what's relevant.

The only remaining query was whether moisture damage and the BSR X5M is an issue. This has no been answered by Techman and Edward and only when I receive the cartridge will I know.

Last edited by Al (astral highway); 14th Jun 2019 at 5:15 pm.
Old 15th Jun 2019, 8:26 am   #42
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

Default Re: Garrard AT-6 stereo cartridge, or whole headshell replacement?

It's unlikely that the BSR X5M cartridge is any more, or less, prone to moisture ingress than any other crystal element carridge. The only thing to be aware of is that any that are now sold as NOS, could have been manufactured 25-30 years ago..