UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 19th Dec 2018, 5:12 pm   #1
johnwhal78
Retired Dormant Member

Default HMV 102 270-D Motor, Speed Issue

I have been asked to take a look at another HMV 102 gramophone. The issue being is that it plays at a inconsistent speed, sometimes going slightly faster, sometimes slightly slower.

The question is, is this likely to be an issue with the governor pad not being adjusted correctly, or is this an issue with a weak main spring, or indeed any other issue?

My own 102 is awaiting a new main spring (see other thread) which I hope to fit after Christmas

John
Old 19th Dec 2018, 6:28 pm   #2
Techman
Dekatron

Default Re: HMV 102 270-D Motor, Speed Issue

The advice given in this recent thread pretty much covers the problem you describe:-
https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...d.php?t=151117

Be very careful when you come to replace the spring in your own gramophone motor and don't skimp on eye protection etc.
Old 19th Dec 2018, 7:40 pm   #3
johnwhal78
Retired Dormant Member

Thanks for the response Techman - The governor plate slides free enough.

I was wondering if the spring needed changing?
Old 19th Dec 2018, 8:50 pm   #4
Techman
Dekatron

If the governor plate is sliding freely as described in the thread linked to, then it sounds very much like the spring needs removing from the barrel for cleaning and re-greasing. They sometimes make clunking noises as they're wound and as they unwind, and struggle to play a full record properly if the grease has partially solidified within.

It's worth making sure that the governor brake pad is oiled and that the general gearing and bearings are also lubricated.
Closed Thread