UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 19th Dec 2018, 4:27 am   #1
teetoon
Heptode

Default Keith Richards and Quad

I was looking at some pictures celebrating the 75th birthday of Keith Richards and this picture caught my eye.
There appears to be a pair of Quad mono blocks in the garden, upside down even . I thought about asking him but I'm sure he wouldn't remember.
It was apparently 1973.
Anyone else recognise them ?

David.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	keith richards Quad amp.jpg
Views:	451
Size:	37.4 KB
ID:	174883  
Old 19th Dec 2018, 5:43 am   #2
Argus25
No Longer a Member

Default Re: Keith Richards and Quad

Actually I think he might remember, because I think that whole photo was staged to look like a natural snapshot.

The objects are laid about with a more disorderly look than one might expect for normal mess, including the amps put there probably upside down. The chair on wheels looks awfully uncomfortable, you wouldn't sit in it for long. Also there is someone (a lady probably) standing in the doorway almost deliberately out of sight watching the photo being taken. Maybe it was supposed to represent a scene where a man and his stuff were thrown out out the house by an angry girlfriend and the man was philosophical about it. It might have been an idea for an album cover.

With all the preparation for that photo and the work to make it look like that, and what looks like a lady in the doorway, I think he may just well remember that. You should ask him, if you can get his email.
Old 19th Dec 2018, 10:50 am   #3
Herald1360
Dekatron

They look more like 303 stereo power amps than monoblocks. Spent a while trying to find any trace of a pair of Quad IIs.
.........O..Chris....O
Old 19th Dec 2018, 11:07 am   #4
Sideband
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Argus25 View Post
Also there is someone (a lady probably) standing in the doorway almost deliberately out of sight watching the photo being taken.
It may well have been Anita Pallenberg (ooooh!) since they were together for some time until the 80's
Old 19th Dec 2018, 11:54 am   #5
dave walsh
Dekatron

Location: Ramsbottom (Nr Bury) Lancs or Bexhill (Nr Hastings) Sussex.

Interesting David-thanks for posting the photo! Yes I'm pretty sure he wouldn't remember. During an Arena [BBC2] interview in the 80's, there was a reference to him being in the Chicago Projects looking for "supplies" and carrying a gun for protection. Amazed-they asked "Weren't you worried Keith?" His eyes rolled and he replied in his characteristic dazed drawl.. "When you're on that stuff you don't worry about anything!!!"

Whatever those amps are, I don't think they'd be chucked in the front garden these days, whatever the occasion. Great band in the early days. More a Corporate Juggernaught now!

Dave W

Last edited by dave walsh; 19th Dec 2018 at 12:04 pm.
Old 19th Dec 2018, 12:06 pm   #6
eaglework
Pentode

They look like Quad 303's to me and if not they are the spitting image of one I own in the 80's.
My student union used them as PA amps and I spent many a happy hour removing dried on beer and other detritus to keep them going.
Jon
Old 19th Dec 2018, 2:00 pm   #7
GrimJosef
Dekatron

They could be 50Ds or 50Es which were monoblocks of course. These are hard to distinguish from 303s if you can't see the end plate.

Cheers,

GJ
Old 19th Dec 2018, 2:54 pm   #8
paulsherwin

I agree the photo looks posed.
Old 19th Dec 2018, 4:52 pm   #9
dolphin
Diode

Well it's definitely Keith posing (when is he not!) but these are things rescued from Redlands, his house in Sussex, when it was badly damaged by fire. There are other photos online showing a similar disarray of random items.
Max
Old 19th Dec 2018, 5:02 pm   #10
stevehertz
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by dolphin View Post
Well it's definitely Keith posing (when is he not!) but these are things rescued from Redlands, his house in Sussex, when it was badly damaged by fire. There are other photos online showing a similar disarray of random items.
Max
If this is the case then I would say that the photo has not been staged, you're simply looking at the stuff that has been taken from the house and chucked on to the lawn in the aftermath/sort out. Even without this 'evidence' I would have doubted that it had been staged anyway, there's just something about it.
Old 19th Dec 2018, 5:26 pm   #11
Nuvistor
Dekatron

I somehow think he won’t remember but he has given up the hard drink and the drugs stopped a long time ago, good luck to him.
https://www.theguardian.com/music/20...fed-up-with-it
Old 19th Dec 2018, 6:57 pm   #12
crackle
Rest in Peace

In the doorway is what looks like a hat stand with a coat on it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Image1.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	68.7 KB
ID:	174908  
Old 19th Dec 2018, 8:00 pm   #13
ms660
Dekatron

He's on the dissection line of the angle between the two upturned amplifiers, looks like the leopards paw is pointing to the knife.

Lawrence.
Old 19th Dec 2018, 9:36 pm   #14
teetoon
Heptode

Hey, great response chaps.

Max (dolphin) is spot on with the fire at Redlands story. I've done a search and found Keith did have a couple of fires there, one which destroyed the roof and upstairs.
Redlands is a thatched property surrounded by a moat that Keith bought in 1966 for £20,000. Plenty online about it.

As for the amps. They are most likely Quad 50 mono blocks (after doing online searches) as the 50 E and 50 D have very distinctive multipin connectors in the middle.
Keith's also look as though they have the larger Bulgin mains input.
They do ofcourse look very much like a 303 as Quad used the same cabinet construction.

The amps were probably upside down to dry out maybe .

David.
Closed Thread