UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items

Notices

Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items For discussions about other vintage (over 25 years old) electrical and electromechanical household items. See the sticky thread for details.

Closed Thread

Old 6th Apr 2015, 3:32 am   #1
avocollector
Heptode

Default Line Filter for old hedge trimmer

I have an old, German make, Hugo Freund Motorheckenschere (mains electric hedge trimmer) model EL-HE-220 - probably from the 50/60's at the latest. Was happily using it when BANG and on disassembly the line filter caps seem to have detonated (as caps sometimes do). They appear to be one cap (O.05 uF) connected between phase and neutral and two caps (2500pf) one connected between the phase and earth and one between neutral and earth. Thumbnail pics below.

As it's still a grunty little machine I'd like to save can you knowledgeable lot tell me if a straight out cap replacement should be OK (assuming motor still ok) and any specific type of caps I must use.

Note the amusingly helpful note at the bottom of the nameplate 'Nicht benutzen bei regen = Don't use in the rain'. Sadly Hugo Freund has been taken over and closed in 2005
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1672.jpg
Views:	309
Size:	77.7 KB
ID:	106580   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1673.jpg
Views:	293
Size:	80.2 KB
ID:	106581   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1674.jpg
Views:	304
Size:	57.7 KB
ID:	106582   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1675.jpg
Views:	282
Size:	60.1 KB
ID:	106583   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1676.jpg
Views:	304
Size:	80.6 KB
ID:	106584  

Old 6th Apr 2015, 7:15 am   #2
Radio Wrangler

Default Re: Line filter for old hdge trimmer

The symbol next to the helpful hint at the bottom right is the FTZ rf interference suppression approval mark.

David
Old 6th Apr 2015, 7:39 am   #3
julie_m
Dekatron

That just looks like a standard delta-capacitor with a 50 nF capacitor working in class X and two 2.5 nF capacitors working in class Y. Nearest modern preferred values available would be 47 nF and 2.2 nF. Of course, the hedge trimmer will work perfectly without these capacitors -- but other people's MW, LW and SW radios might not!
Old 6th Apr 2015, 8:46 am   #4
mark pirate
Dekatron

Maybe the cap has been replaced before, I see a date code of 4/67 on it.
I notice the mains voltage is 220v, I expect running on 240v finally killed off the cap!

Mark
Old 6th Apr 2015, 8:49 am   #5
David G4EBT
Dekatron

Unusually these days, Maplin of all people have what you need, and not too expensive either!

A Delta Suppression Filter, consisting of one 0.1uF, plus two .047 plus 2.2M resistor:

http://www.maplin.co.uk/p/delta-supp...n-filter-rg21x

(£3.29).
Old 6th Apr 2015, 9:01 am   #6
julie_m
Dekatron

Interference suppressor capacitors work by absorbing the energy present in the noise spikes on the mains, converting it to heat. The relentless stream of noise bursts from the brushes of a series-wound motor will eventually kill them off (often with an explosion which is theatrical enough to persuade the owner to replace the entire appliance; when in reality, a cheap and easily-replaceable part is all that has failed).
Old 6th Apr 2015, 10:50 pm   #7
David G4EBT
Dekatron

Default Re: Line Filter for old hedge trimmer

Ooops, sorry - no Maplin in NZ, so that wasn't much help as I don't think they send overseas.

Right component - wrong hemisphere!
Old 9th Apr 2015, 11:36 am   #8
Billy T
Retired Dormant Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by avocollector View Post
They appear to be one cap (O.05 uF) connected between phase and neutral and two caps (2500pf) one connected between the phase and earth and one between neutral and earth.
JayCar sell metallised polypropylene caps in 0.047 and 0.022 values rated for mains applications. I use them to replace the old RIFA caps in industrial & commercial metal detectors when they blow up. JayCar's shop is at 76-80 Adelaide Road, Mt Cook, Wellington.

You can fit them in easily, and if you get their WH-5520 Heatshrink Tubing assortment pack, for less than $20 you'll have plenty of options for insulation and protection, and a wide range of colours and sizes for future use.

Cheers

Billy
Old 12th Apr 2015, 4:51 pm   #9
avocollector
Heptode

Many and great thanks to all of you for advice, help and ideas - all greatly appreciated and a great help for this less familiar area. Also special thanks to Billy T for the local advice - perhaps now I'll be able to get the darned thing off my workbench - LOL.
Old 12th Apr 2015, 6:15 pm   #10
keithinuk
Retired Dormant Member

I have one hiding in the shed, I think the motor has had its day, I did try to find a replacement but to no avail.
It is a Black & Decker, in its original box, I did see an advert for it once, but never seen another one.
One sided blade, aluminium body from the 50's I think it is.
Closed Thread