UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items

Notices

Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items For discussions about other vintage (over 25 years old) electrical and electromechanical household items. See the sticky thread for details.

Closed Thread

Old 6th Apr 2015, 11:30 pm   #1
roxanne
Retired Dormant Member

Default Berry Magicoal, unknown model, asbestos?

Hi all,
I'm new here and after a bit of advice. I recently purchased this Berry's Magicoal for £20 I fell in love with it at first sight!

However when I came home I Google it to try and find out more information and found some of the models contain asbestos pads?

I'm here after going on a different forum where I was advised to throw it away, and that even the wiring could contain asbestos? I wondered if anyone knows if this model does or not as I love it, but can't stop thinking about it now �� I can't find a model number anywhere as it's usually 4 digits and everything I've found is 3. I've included a picture of the wiring as well just in case however it said nothing on the asbestos website about any of the Magicoals wiring containing asbestos.

Any advice is appreciated. I dare not go near it now ��
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2015-04-06-12-39-21.jpg
Views:	533
Size:	41.9 KB
ID:	106644   Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_2015-04-06-12-39-14.jpg
Views:	386
Size:	27.5 KB
ID:	106645   Click image for larger version

Name:	20150406_224546.jpg
Views:	411
Size:	58.7 KB
ID:	106646   Click image for larger version

Name:	20150406_224354.jpg
Views:	414
Size:	67.4 KB
ID:	106647   Click image for larger version

Name:	20150406_224320.jpg
Views:	271
Size:	50.4 KB
ID:	106648  

Old 7th Apr 2015, 8:41 am   #2
Mike Phelan
Dekatron

Default Re: Berry Magicoal, unknown model, asbestos?

Roxanne,

Welcome to the forum!

The model number looks like it's 406.

I don't know the details of this item but I think you're getting a bit too concerned about any possible asbestos problem.

It's only dangerous if disturbed, for a start.

As for the wiring, it will need replacing now with heat-resistant wiring.
Old 7th Apr 2015, 8:54 am   #3
Lucien Nunes
Rest in Peace

The internal wiring may contain asbestos as it is designed to be heat-resistant, the flex leading to the plug probably does not (although it may be rubber and need replacing due to age).

Many old electrical devices do contain asbestos, including radios and other domestic appliances, as it was a very effective material for its job. The asbestos register for my own collection runs to hundreds of items. In many cases it is not a high risk unless it is disturbed. I would avoid flexing or handling the original internal wiring in case it sheds fibres, but once the heater is in position it's unlikely you would be doing this. It's all about risk management - if the fibres don't escape, they can't cause harm.

It could be rewired internally with modern heat-resisting cable, subject to proper handling and disposal of the old cable. FWIW I am in the process of replacing some asbestos parts on a piece of old switchgear that is going to an exhibition, as this is an easier way to manage the risk than enclosing it. We are using woven-glassfibre cable which even looks the part, although it tends to fray easily.

E2A a quick Google suggests that some models of night-storage heater using the Magicoal brand (not actually Magicoal-style fires) have an asbestos pad under the thermal cutout, which obviously does not apply to your product. Storage heaters have been extensively tested and catalogued for asbestos content due to the potentially large quantity of material involved and the fact that they are part of the fixed installation of a building which puts them under different regulations.

Last edited by Lucien Nunes; 7th Apr 2015 at 9:04 am.
Old 7th Apr 2015, 9:14 am   #4
Aaamusements
Pentode

To echo what the others have said - don't panic!

Some people who are extraordinarily terrified by the dangers of asbestos are strangely comfortable with getting into a motor vehicle and traveling at ridiculous speeds in close proximity to numerous others doing the same thing. Some of whom may well be intoxicated.
I know which hazard carries a higher risk of immediate death or debilitating injury...

It's all about proportion, balance and context. Like so much of life really!
Old 7th Apr 2015, 10:54 am   #5
broadgage
Nonode

Agree that some people tend to over react to small quantities of asbestos, which is very low risk if undisturbed.
Significant numbers of people have died a most unpleasant death from asbestosis, but these cases appear to be related to substantial and long term occupational exposure and not to small amounts substantialy undisturbed in domestic appliances etc.

As an example, I have in the past handled asbestos lined fuse carriers in old electrical equipment, perhaps a dozen times over several decades. This worries me not.
If however I worked for years in the factory making this equipment, and had handled the asbestos for hours every day, then I would be most concerned.
Closed Thread