UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items

Notices

Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items For discussions about other vintage (over 25 years old) electrical and electromechanical household items. See the sticky thread for details.

Closed Thread

Old 14th Feb 2019, 6:55 pm   #1
mark_in_manc
Octode

Default K2 kettle - adjusting trip switch?

Hi folks

Before I pull my kettle apart, does anyone know off-hand how to ease off the (bi-metallic?) switch so as to render it a bit less enthusiastic to switch off?

cheers
Mark
Old 14th Feb 2019, 7:35 pm   #2
mike_newcomb
Rest in Peace

Default Re: K2 kettle - adjusting trip switch?

Hi Mark,
is this a Russell Hobbs?
I have a RH K3P.

Be warned, with mine:
a) spares are rare. impossible to find.
b) element can lose Chrome Plating if descaler is used to much.

Some photos would be nice to see.
Regards - Mike
Old 14th Feb 2019, 11:52 pm   #3
ajgriff
Nonode

If I remember correctly, switch-off when the water boils is achieved with a plunger activated by the build of steam pressure. It doesn't work if the lid is left off. If the kettle starts to boil dry and overheat a bi-metallic strip (part of the element housing) takes over.

The point at which the pressure switch operates can be adjusted by trial and error via a small screw once the whole switch housing has been removed. Some dismantling of the mechanism is required. I'll take some pictures when I have a moment.

If you start to dismantle things you'll almost certainly need a new one of these:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vintage-R...jE6Q:rk:1:pf:0

Hope this of some help.

Alan
Old 15th Feb 2019, 8:29 am   #4
mark_in_manc
Octode

Thanks for your replies, folks. Alan - I'd appreciate it if you have time to go into more detail about how the switch comes apart. I took the screw out above the red switch and tried to gently pry the (bakelite?) housing, but it was all looking a bit aged and brittle and I rather lost my nerve and put the screw back in again!

Looks like I ought to buy a gasket (what I can see of mine looks...friable!) whilst they are available, and see if I can copy it in normal rubber sheet. I have supplies of rubber sheet, not that I'm into rubber
Old 15th Feb 2019, 10:00 am   #5
barrymagrec
Octode

We have a Russel Hobbs - probably a K2. When it was bought new 35 odd years ago it was a bit touchy on switch off so I unscrewed the cover to look and it appeared the rocker mechanism wasn`t properly seated in its groove. I refitted it and it has been no trouble since.
Old 15th Feb 2019, 10:18 am   #6
ajgriff
Nonode

It's been a while since I took one of these apart Mark, so forgive me if my memory is a bit hazy.

The outer cover around the red toggle to which you refer should release quite easily with the single screw removed. Just a little gentle levering with a small screwdriver required. Once removed you will have access to the three fixings which hold the switch assembly in place against the gasket and therefore the kettle body.

First you'll need to remove the two screws at the top which hold the back of the handle in place. Next undo the two set screws either side of the toggle which go right through the switch housing, the body of the kettle and screw into the MAX indicator plate. These two are relatively easy to remove.

The challenge comes with the bottom fixing which is part of the element earth pin assembly. I can't remember the name of the fixing type but it's one of those round nuts with slots either side of a central bolt. There's a special tool for undoing these but I used an old pair of engineers' calipers gripped with pliers. Not easy!

Once you've released these three fixings the switch housing pulls away complete with gasket remains. You'll then have access to the switch mechanism itself. I should be able to take some pictures later on today and will post again.

Alan

PS All much easier if barrymagrec's suggestion proves fruitful as there'll be no need to remove the switch housing.

Last edited by ajgriff; 15th Feb 2019 at 10:25 am.
Old 15th Feb 2019, 7:10 pm   #7
ajgriff
Nonode

Some photos as promised. Before dismantling anything it's worth checking the tightness of the two screws at 'D' in the first photo as this can affect the point of steam pressure activation. Nice easy fix! Otherwise I hope the following notes will help:

K2 P1 - 'A' indicates the two screws for releasing the back of the handle. 'B' is the location of the two screws which go through to the MAX plate. 'C' is the location of the awkward special purpose nut. Apparently it is possible to modify an old screwdriver of suitable size by filing a notch in the blade in order to facilitate undoing this nut but I've not tried it.

K2 P2 - The awkward nut is circled. By the way, it's not necessary to remove the element in order to release the switch housing.

K2 P3 - The reverse side of the switch with the ends of the two screws mentioned at the start of this post circled. When undone the actuator spring (strip in the middle) can be lifted free and its adjustment screw will become accessible.

Finally, a word of warning. It's tempting to slacken the line of three larger screws across the centre of the switch (first photo) as it looks like an easy way to get at the actuator. Do so at your peril as the whole mechanism kind of falls apart and is very difficult to get back together.

Good luck Mark and let us know how you get on.

Alan
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	K2 P1.JPG
Views:	874
Size:	172.3 KB
ID:	178451   Click image for larger version

Name:	K2 P2.JPG
Views:	674
Size:	167.5 KB
ID:	178452   Click image for larger version

Name:	K2 P3.JPG
Views:	760
Size:	166.8 KB
ID:	178453  
Old 15th Feb 2019, 8:50 pm   #8
mark_in_manc
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajgriff View Post
Finally, a word of warning. It's tempting to slacken the line of three larger screws across the centre of the switch (first photo) as it looks like an easy way to get at the actuator. Do so at your peril as the whole mechanism kind of falls apart and is very difficult to get back together.
Alan, that's fantastic - thanks very much for taking the trouble to take those photos and write it up so clearly. If that info is already on the internet, I couldn't find it! Your last point - which I quote above - rewards my better self who wanted to put a question up on here rather than plough in regardless, which is what most of me wanted to do

I'm down to Essex with the kids to visit my parents for a few days tomorrow - I'll get more involved again when I return at the end of the week, by which time I hope the gasket (template) will have arrived. If you'd like me to make you a couple of copy gaskets, PM me.

cheers
Mark
Old 15th Feb 2019, 10:33 pm   #9
kirstyd
Heptode

I have one of these [wedding present in 1977] and i love the way it gently [and quietly]switches off just as the first plume of steam comes from the spout unlike modern kettles that seem to boil like mad shake violently and make a hell of a row for what seems like ages before finally switching off .The Russell Hobs has got to be the best electric kettle ever
Old 15th Feb 2019, 11:34 pm   #10
ajgriff
Nonode

Completely agree and they were made to last. Every home should have one. Mine (the one in bits) has a less exalted background as it came from a boot sale. Sadly, it has a leaking seam which is why it's in pieces awaiting repair. Just haven't got round to acquiring the lead-free silver solder yet (2 years on).

Referring to Mark's point, it is strange that despite the vast amount of information on the Internet there are some obvious things that don't seem to have been given an airing yet. Obvious to me anyway!

Alan
Old 16th Feb 2019, 12:44 pm   #11
The Philpott
Dekatron

Compare that assembly to a modern Strix one and see how far we (haven't) come.

I recall that proper kettles from my childhood only expired from lack of spares rather than economy of design.
Dave
Old 16th Feb 2019, 12:56 pm   #12
Refugee
Dekatron

I agree about the spares.
We keep a spare kettle that cost not much more than the postage for a single component.
We have an Aldi one for every day use and it stops in a timely manner when it boils and has only been out of service for a short while after overfilling.
We were given a Russel Hobbs kettle that leaked around the seam. It ended up in the bin after a couple of goes at fixing it.
Old 16th Feb 2019, 7:32 pm   #13
julie_m
Dekatron

The water in Derby is so rich in calcium, the limescale builds up to the point where it just cracks off from thermal shock. It's an amazing thought that every flake of limescale in every kettle, every washing machine, every immersion heater and every combi boiler plate-to-plate heat exchanger in Derby used to be part of a mountain somewhere in the Peak District.

My last kettle was a skip find (I just happened to know where I could borrow a multimeter from very nearby to check the element for continuity, otherwise I'd have left it there) and only died recently due to the element pins not making proper contact with the base connector unless it was positioned precisely. Eventually its own vibration from steam bubbles forming and bursting got to be enough to loosen it before it tripped. I replaced it with a cheapo one from Wilko. (Inner sad cow Julie timed the first three boilings that have to be thrown away to get rid of any chemical taste, and used the fact that the specific heat capacity of water is 4200, so 70W * 1 minute = 1 litre * 1 degree C rise, to work out that the kettle was drawing more than the nominal 2kW; the mains voltage must have been up that night.)