UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment

Notices

Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment For discussions about vintage test gear and workshop equipment such as coil winders.

Closed Thread

Old 25th May 2020, 6:39 pm   #41
HBWOODY
Pentode

Default Re: AVO valve tester meter servicing

Martin I should have mentioned that the original MK3 meter (no swamp resistor)is dead (coil is shorted). The meter referred to in my more recent posts is a meter from a CT160 which is in need of a neg grid pot. I was determined to get the meter back to specification to enable correct calibration of the Mk3.
The original 10k shunt measured 43K so is about to be replaced with a new 10K resistor.
I now have a new problem to sort out. When I switch on the MK3 the needle on the meter does not rise to the SET position in fact it does not rise at all. I checked the heater, anode volts which are good but when moving on to set the neg grid volts I do not get the expected volts so I tomorrow I will have to check out that part of the circuit.
Old 25th May 2020, 6:48 pm   #42
Dekatron
Octode

Thanks, that explains a lot. Had me confused for a while there!
Old 26th May 2020, 7:40 am   #43
Station X

Quote:
Originally Posted by HBWOODY View Post
Martin I should have mentioned that the original MK3 meter (no swamp resistor)is dead (coil is shorted). The meter referred to in my more recent posts is a meter from a CT160 which is in need of a neg grid pot. I was determined to get the meter back to specification to enable correct calibration of the Mk3.
To be clear, this thread is about an ex CT160 meter, with a swamp resistor which is to be used in a VCM MK3??

Quote:
Originally Posted by HBWOODY View Post
The original 10k shunt measured 43k so is about to be replaced with a new 10K resistor.
That's an awfully big change in value for a 10k resistor. I would suggest testing the meter disconnected from the tester with a new 10k resistor wired directly across the series combination of the movement (2269R) swamp resistor (675R) and correction resistor (306R) a total of 3250R, to make sure it has an FSD of 39.75uA. That way the meter can be given a clean bill of health and you'll know that any tester faults aren't down to the meter.

Quote:
I now have a new problem to sort out. When I switch on the MK3 the needle on the meter does not rise to the SET position in fact it does not rise at all. I checked the heater, anode volts which are good but when moving on to set the neg grid volts I do not get the expected volts so I tomorrow I will have to check out that part of the circuit.
Please discuss this in another thread, it's confusing the issue.

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Old 26th May 2020, 9:58 am   #44
HBWOODY
Pentode

Graham have done what you suggested and get FSD at 40uA, is that close enough? I will start a new thread about the fault which has turned up.
Old 26th May 2020, 10:01 am   #45
Station X

Yes. 40uA is good enough to proceed with testing.

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Closed Thread