UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment

Notices

Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment For discussions about vintage test gear and workshop equipment such as coil winders.

Closed Thread

Old 21st May 2020, 5:29 pm   #1
Alf Fisher
Hexode

Default Mullard HS Valve Tester Unsatisfactory feature

My MHSVT has the usual cover that holds the card index but IMHO the way it is attached is not ideal and I'm wondering if anyone has a better method of fixing it.

The only thing holding it weakly in place are a pair of little Terry clips around the rear of the chrome handles. When you open the cover, the weight of it causes it to fall backwards and detach the Terry clips.
If you happen to have a card in the slot it would be snapped off!

Is mine the only one like this or has anyone got a mod to make the card index remain in place and usable when the cover is opened.

Alf
Old 21st May 2020, 5:37 pm   #2
Horris
Hexode

Default Re: Mullard HS Valve Tester Unsatisfactory feature

Mine does the same.To cure it I put a small cable tie across the backs of the Terry clips

Dave
Old 21st May 2020, 6:57 pm   #3
Electronpusher0
Nonode

To be honest I do not bother fixing mine at all. When not in use it just sits on top keeping the dust off. When in use I lift if off and put aside.

Peter
Old 23rd May 2020, 4:55 pm   #4
Alf Fisher
Hexode

Thanks for your replies guys.

I thought about it for a bit and then decided a modification was in order so I bought a couple of M10 x 20 mm aluminium spacers off eBay.

On the bracket, I drilled out the pop rivets and removed the little Terry clips opening the holes to 5 mm. Then I drilled and tapped 2BA holes in the side of the spacers and its really solid. I'm very pleased with the result as you will see from the photo.

Alf
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Cover Fixing Mod.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	33.2 KB
ID:	206559  

Last edited by Alf Fisher; 23rd May 2020 at 4:57 pm. Reason: Inserted missing words
Old 23rd May 2020, 5:11 pm   #5
PJL
Dekatron

Later models get rid of the lid altogether and put the list on a vertical pullout drawer.
Closed Thread