UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players

Notices

Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players Open-reel tape recorders, cassette recorders, 8-track players etc.

Closed Thread

Old 7th Jun 2020, 11:41 am   #61
DMcMahon
Dekatron

Default Re: Grundig TK245 overhaul

Do not really know about the ghost recordings, possibly may be print through from another track.

Normally it is not necessary to test heads for continuity, the only time one might want to do it, is if recording/playback/erase does not work at all and after other diagnostics yield no clues, then checking the respective head (s) to make sure not open circuit is then useful.

Some service manuals will state a DC resistance value or an AC impedance (at a particular frequency) for the various heads, would not pay too much attention to the stated values verses the actual measured values, the most important thing is not being open circuit.

Some people may advise/warn against doing this but normally there should be no risk especially if using a digital test meter. There is the risk of possibly magnetizing the head which may affect sound quality but I have never experienced this and using a head de-magnetizer post head continuity checks would address that possibility.
Old 7th Jun 2020, 11:56 am   #62
DMcMahon
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reelman View Post
If the belts are fabric one side and rubber the other then they are similar to the ones used on Telefunken recorders made more than 10 years previously, eg KL65. I have a feeling that they were quite loose but it was 40+ years ago that I worked on one! Looking at a picture on the Radiomuseum’s site confirms it but also shows a spring loaded jockey? wheel to maintain tension.
Daft Isn’t it, I can still remember whilst working on it listening to Alan Freeman’s Saturday afternoon show with Colin Blunstone as the live artist. But I digress.....sorry.

Peter
Quite a few years back now, I remember seeing Colin Blunstone in one of the 60s music revival shows with Chris Farlowe, Long John Baldry, P J Proby and others, it was very good. Must have been longer than I remembered as Long John Baldry died in 2005.
Old 7th Jun 2020, 12:05 pm   #63
Panrock
Nonode

All the belts and 'wheels' are original in my Grundig, though I cleaned their working surfaces with thinners to remove any glossy coatings (maybe this was 'naughty'?) and the spooling and take-up are now working fine.

Steve