UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Hints, Tips and Solutions (Do NOT post requests for help here)

Notices

Hints, Tips and Solutions (Do NOT post requests for help here) If you have any useful general hints and tips for vintage technology repair and restoration, please share them here. PLEASE DO NOT POST REQUESTS FOR HELP HERE!

Closed Thread

Old 27th Aug 2020, 8:44 am   #1
jamesinnewcastl
Heptode

Default Restoring a Tektronix Transparent Dial Text

Hi All

I have just revived my Tektronix 475 scope, but to my horror most of the text on the CH2 attenuator dial had rubbed off somehow and seemed to be falling off as I watched! After some thought I reproduced the text using Microsoft Visio and printed it onto a clear 'water transfer' sheet. After cleaning the back of the dial I stuck the transfer sheet to the rear using a clear glue (Balsa wood model tissue glue in fact). Letting the glue dry it was into water to slip off the backing sheet. Voila! I think it looks quite good and possibly applicable to other transparent dials? The Visio file and/or spare transfers are available if anyone wants them.

Cheers
James
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Img_5636.jpg
Views:	200
Size:	51.4 KB
ID:	214371   Click image for larger version

Name:	Img_5639.jpg
Views:	210
Size:	50.8 KB
ID:	214372   Click image for larger version

Name:	Img_5642.jpg
Views:	188
Size:	72.3 KB
ID:	214373  
Old 27th Aug 2020, 8:48 am   #2
jamesinnewcastl
Heptode

Default Re: Restoring a Tektronix Transparent Dial Text

Incidentally - Replacing the nuts on the back of the attenuator assembly looked like a nightmare given the zero space available for fingers. But, offering the nut up on the end of a magnetised screwdriver lets you engage the first few threads easily!

James
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Img_5603.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	75.9 KB
ID:	214375  
Old 27th Aug 2020, 9:26 am   #3
ajgriff
Nonode

That's an impressive result. My 465B has a similar problem so I've been pondering possible solutions for a while and never really come up with anything likely to be satisfactory. The scale is slightly different but at least I know what to do now. Thank you.

Alan
Old 27th Aug 2020, 10:48 am   #4
Goldie99
Heptode

Excellent result ! It may be a little 'fiddlier' (?), but I think if you 'flip & rotate' the text, before printing the water transfers, you should be able to just apply the transfers directly to the back of the knob without having to glue them. A light varnish spray would then seal them for long term use.

Alan
Old 27th Aug 2020, 11:18 am   #5
ajgriff
Nonode

My understanding is that James used the glue to ensure accurate positioning of the transfer on the rear face of the bezel. From past experience of using transfers I found that it can be very difficult to achieve positional accuracy as the transfer normally has to slide off the backing paper. I'm sure James will be able to clarify.

Alan
Old 27th Aug 2020, 12:15 pm   #6
Goldie99
Heptode

Well, I did say 'fiddlier' - I'm sure it would take a bit (lot) of practice & patience, but it should work.

I've done it at the opposite end of the scale, e.g, the 'Mission 700' text in the photo is a varnish sealed waterslide transfer I used restoring some speakers a while back. It measures about 150mm long, so accurate positioning without breaking it was challenging. The original vinyl sticker was too damaged to re-use.

Just another option anyway.

Alan

Name:	IMG_20200827_115706.jpg
Views:	147
Size:	72.2 KB
ID:	214397
Old 27th Aug 2020, 12:30 pm   #7
ajgriff
Nonode

Beautifully done! Your hand is obviously steadier than mine.

Alan
Old 27th Aug 2020, 2:01 pm   #8
jamesinnewcastl
Heptode

Hi Chaps

In fact I had hoped that I could just use the transfer directly but 'mirror' in Visio doesn't mirror text it only mirrors graphic lines, etc. An option was to save as a png or similar and mirror that but the resolution starts to degrade.

So the stick and slide was my second choice but it works OK. It does have the advantage that you don't get those panic moments with a sliding transfer where they buckle and you have to start over!

I could have varnished the back too but I don't have any here!

Cheers
James
Old 27th Aug 2020, 5:01 pm   #9
ajgriff
Nonode

Time for me to buy some clear decal paper (only have white in stock) and start experimenting I think. It would be good to get the 465B up to scratch. Thank you both for providing motivation.

Alan
Old 27th Aug 2020, 5:39 pm   #10

In days past you could get mirror image Letrast, what a boon.

Old 28th Aug 2020, 1:44 am   #11
Jolly 7
Octode

Hi James
Thanks for the great ideas. I use Android quite a lot, so looked up alternatives to Visio and found the website app.diagrams.net, where you can create and download labels for printing. There are plenty of free templates to use and adding text/ numerics in whatever orientation you wish is also very easy.
Will PM you for the spare transfers, they might come in handy for something.
Old 29th Aug 2020, 10:52 pm   #12
ajgriff
Nonode

Thanks to inspiration provided by James and Alan I've been having a go at creating a water slide transfer for the badly worn CH1 attenuator dial on my 465B. However, I don't have Visio and am reluctant to start a new software learning curve so decided to try scanning the good CH2 dial. The scan is shown in the first image below.

After a great deal of work in GIMP I've so far managed to create the draft shown in the second attachment. Although it's by no means perfect I'm hoping it'll produce an acceptable outcome in view of the small size of the actual numerals. The third image is the 'mirror' and the high resolution version of this will be used to create the transfer. At the moment I'm waiting for the clear water slide paper to arrive.

Alan
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Scale 2c.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	31.3 KB
ID:	214599   Click image for larger version

Name:	Scale 2a.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	66.9 KB
ID:	214600   Click image for larger version

Name:	Scale 2b.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	66.8 KB
ID:	214601  
Old 8th Sep 2020, 1:34 pm   #13
ColinTheAmpMan1
Octode

Is it possible that one of you talented and good folk could produce a similar solution to damaged attenuator dial for the Tek 468? The scope has digital storage and the knobs have extra figuring on the transparent skirt. It has the "normal" black-on-transparent numbering of 50 down to 5m, but then has a further three positions which are for storage display and which are transparent on a black background. I can provide a scan and I'm sure that the Manual will provide further details.

TIA, Colin.
Old 9th Sep 2020, 9:28 am   #14
ajgriff
Nonode

PM sent to Colin.

Alan
Old 9th Sep 2020, 10:57 pm   #15
jamesinnewcastl
Heptode

Another, slightly harder as I had to cut-out the text in the black window area!

James
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Image2.png
Views:	88
Size:	5.6 KB
ID:	215341  
Old 13th Sep 2020, 8:32 pm   #16
Chris55000
Nonode

Hi!

The lettering originally used on many Tektronix Dials of this vintage is Univers 57, and if anybody would like to do a more accurate restoration of these dials and lettering, please PM me with an email address and I'll send a Univers TTF package free – these fonts are available free for personal use, it's just recognising them!

Chris Williams
Old 13th Sep 2020, 9:35 pm   #17
ajgriff
Nonode

Many thanks for that information regarding the Univers 57 font Chris. One of the reasons I went for the scanning approach was to replicate the font as I didn't think I'd be able to track down the correct type. Since I've now managed to sort out the knob skirt using the scan I may as well attach a photo of the result alongside the original screen printed example.

Alan
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Tek Att Scale.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	183.9 KB
ID:	215610  
Old 15th Sep 2020, 10:15 am   #18
Pamphonica
Nonode

Just for info, I went a slightly different route when I (also) discovered that Tektronix dial lettering is water soluble (!).
I used Galva to recreate the dial, then printed it on standard overhead transparency plastic film using a laser printer. I then cut it out and stuck it under the now clear dial. It worked a treat and was not at all fiddly.
My Galva file for the Tek 2215 dial is attached. It's just a text file but galva files all end .dat.

-Jeremy
Old 15th Sep 2020, 10:18 am   #19
Pamphonica
Nonode

Try again...
Just rename this file as .dat and Galva will open it.
(Galva is freeware, available here: http://www.f5bu.fr/galva-about/)
Attached Files
File Type: txt Tek 2215 Voltage Scale.txt (1.9 KB, 80 views)
Old 15th Sep 2020, 12:35 pm   #20
ajgriff
Nonode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pamphonica View Post
I used Galva to recreate the dial, then printed it on standard overhead transparency plastic film using a laser printer. I then cut it out and stuck it under the now clear dial. It worked a treat and was not at all fiddly.
I'm interested in this approach as one of the problems with decals is the rather faint numerals which result. Although this is acceptable in the sense that the scale is legible against Tek silver facias it is very obviously less dark than the original screen printing. Also I wonder what type of glue Jeremy used?

I've thought about the possibility of trying printable self adhesive transparent labels/sheets but these are relatively expensive in relation to the small number needed. Does anyone have any experience of using these in this or a similar context?

I'd like to recreate my 465B dial scale from scratch using Galva, Visio, Gimp or the like but until now hadn't been able to source the correct font. However, Chris is now resolving that challenge for me.

Alan
Closed Thread