UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Websites

Notices

Websites Found an interesting website? Post the details here and share it with the rest of us. Please stick to websites that are in some way related to our hobby/interest.

Closed Thread

Old 22nd Jul 2011, 8:39 pm   #1
Colourstar
Octode

Default BBC4 doc on history of regional TV

I've just watched this and found it fascinating. Packed with archive clips including wonderfully atmospheric stock footage of greasy terraced roof tops with H-aerials. Always a winner with me!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode..._a_Local_Lens/

Steve J
Old 23rd Jul 2011, 9:38 am   #2
Andrew2
Nonode

Default Re: BBC4 doc on history of regional TV

I saw bits of this as I was doing something else, but I'll look out for a repeat. A friend of mine who worked at the Manchester studio in the early 70's has some hilarious stories from the time, such as the lack of room forcing the lights so low they were in danger of setting people's hair on fire.
Old 23rd Jul 2011, 11:04 am   #3
Station X

Interesting. Starting at 10:23 minutes in I can see my old German language teacher Geoffrey Harvey about to read the BBC local news from Norwich. It must have been a tight schedule for him, leaving school at 4:00 PM to get to the studio in time.

This would have been around 1963.

Reach for your meter before you reach for your soldering iron.
Old 23rd Jul 2011, 5:36 pm   #4
HamishBoxer
Dekatron

Still available,for those who missed it.

David
Old 23rd Jul 2011, 10:51 pm   #5
Skywave
Rest in Peace

Thumbs down Re: BBC4 doc on history of regional TV

"Regional television" of the '50s & 60's? Since when did 'regional television' only exist in the north of England? O.K., there was a fleeting mention of the midlands, Anglia and the south-west received a couple of passing references, but the southern region didn't even get a look in! 95% of the content was all about regional TV in the northern regions. At least the BBC are being consistent with their current bias towards all things oop north!

A disappointing documentary: I shouldn't have been surprised.

Al.
Old 23rd Jul 2011, 11:01 pm   #6
dave walsh
Dekatron

Location: Ramsbottom (Nr Bury) Lancs or Bexhill (Nr Hastings) Sussex.

This program is repeated at MIDNIGHT om BBC4 if anyone would like to record it
DaveW.
Old 24th Jul 2011, 8:48 pm   #7
Heatercathodeshort
Dekatron

Great programme. I always find it amazing to see 'H' aerials on the roofs of Tudor buildings! All those mid Victorian Coronation Street houses with the familiar telly aerials on the roofs! Reminds me of my Aunt's Ekco T310 in Thornaby. I'm so glad I lived through this period. John.
Old 24th Jul 2011, 11:26 pm   #8
brianc
Rest in Peace

What a fantastic program - I watched it through twice! It was specially interesting for me as I had worked in a couple of the studios shown, Birmingham's Broads Street and Norwich's news studio. They were small studios run by a small team of people who were keen to get the very best out of the equipment which, being news studios, was not necessarily the best money could buy! Also shown were the 35mm Cintel telecines, TK 3 & TK4, very much non-regional as they were located in Lime Grove Studios in Shepherds Bush, London. As an aside, those machines were originally at Alexandra Palace. The program was, for me a real nostalgia trip and it shows how TV has changed in the last 20 years - for the better??
Old 25th Jul 2011, 9:17 am   #9
AidanLunn
Heptode

Brilliant programme - brings back the memories of that feeling of having a TV service especially for people in your area.

I may be biased, but I still think Yorkshire TV had the best logo!
Old 25th Jul 2011, 10:09 am   #10
HamishBoxer
Dekatron

On again tonight BBC4.

David
Old 25th Jul 2011, 10:35 pm   #11
AidanLunn
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skywave View Post
"Regional television" of the '50s & 60's? Since when did 'regional television' only exist in the north of England? O.K., there was a fleeting mention of the midlands, Anglia and the south-west received a couple of passing references, but the southern region didn't even get a look in! 95% of the content was all about regional TV in the northern regions. At least the BBC are being consistent with their current bias towards all things oop north!

A disappointing documentary: I shouldn't have been surprised.

Al.
I don't even think the BBC cared much for the South East until the 80s.

From what I've seen of London regional TV (both ITV and BBC), it just looks like a scaled-down version of national TV, especially the news.
Closed Thread