UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Success Stories

Notices

Success Stories If you have successfully repaired or restored a piece of equipment, why not write up what you did and post details here. Particularly if it was interesting, unusual or challenging. PLEASE DO NOT POST REQUESTS FOR HELP HERE!

Closed Thread

Old 26th Feb 2010, 9:02 pm   #1
howard
Nonode

Default 1954 HMV 1360 AC/DC mains 5 valve MW/LW/SW table radio

Hello again,

Here is another £2 set that I bought at the Cowbit auction late last year. This HMV 1360 was scruffy so I bought it to break as I need a loudspeaker for my similar HMV 1131 .... but alas the loudspeakers differ.So I then asked the forum whether it was worth restoring and the response was a resounding affirmative so I've restored it.

https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...ad.php?t=47386

I could only find an R&TVS service sheet for this model which is available here ....

http://www.service-data.com/section.php/3697/1

I gather from the sheet that this radio was usually fitted with barretter except for early examples which had a mains dropper, and this one has a dropper - shucks, I've always wanted a set with a barretter. It has the usual valves as fitted to most early 1950s AC/DC sets but with GEC labels, X142 (UCH42), W142 (UF41), DH142 (UBC41), N142 (UL41) and U142 (UY41).

Someone had already had a go at replacing the capacitors in this set, by cutting out the caps but leaving the wires in place and then soldering new capacitors to the original wires. There's nothing wrong with that approach if the soldering is done well but one had already come apart so LW didn't work. The capacitors were also tiny so I replaced the lot again including the wires, with chunkier polyesters. It worked well after that with good HT/LT and a non leaky N142 (UL41) and it was well aligned, possibly by its previous owner.

The case on the set was very matt so I wiped it down and polished it with Brasso and it came up a lot better although it's still a touch matt. I repolished and revarnished the brass knob trims and removed and cleaned the glass dial. Most of the badge on top was missing so I removed it and had a waterslide replica made up, fitted it and that finished the set off nicely.

I'm glad I restored this HMV, it looks nice and it works very well with excellent sensitivity and manages to pick up just about everything on all wavebands with just its internal aerial. It sounds very good too, and I do like its perspex knobs which all light up.

Howard
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	HMV_1360_complete 001.jpg
Views:	354
Size:	54.3 KB
ID:	32948   Click image for larger version

Name:	HMV_1360_complete_inside 001.jpg
Views:	349
Size:	55.7 KB
ID:	32949   Click image for larger version

Name:	HMV_1360_chassis_under_after 001.jpg
Views:	299
Size:	52.8 KB
ID:	32950   Click image for larger version

Name:	HMV_1360_old_bits 001.jpg
Views:	274
Size:	14.6 KB
ID:	32951  
Old 26th Feb 2010, 11:08 pm   #2
Steve_P
Dekatron

Default Re: 1954 HMV 1360 AC/DC mains 5 valve MW/LW/SW table radio

I've got one with a Baretter in.

There are several sets that look like this with different valve layouts inside. Including a VHF one (I think.)

One has an EL85 on the output which some clown had put an EL84 in. If you get one of those sets then don't do that....

Cheers,

Steve P.
Old 26th Feb 2010, 11:53 pm   #3
howard
Nonode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_P View Post
I've got one with a Baretter in.
There are several sets that look like this with different valve layouts inside. Including a VHF one (I think.) ..........
Steve P.
The VHF version is the HMV 1131, that's the one which was going to have the loudspeaker out of this.

Pic of the set below with its knobs lit up, I've not seen a set with this feature before. I'll do a pic of its replica badge (which is excellent) in the morning hopefully in the sunshine .....

Howard
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	HMV_1360_knobs_lit 001.jpg
Views:	275
Size:	35.2 KB
ID:	32957  
Old 27th Feb 2010, 2:02 am   #4
Tim
Dekatron

I used to have one of the ones with VHF on(MW,LW,VHF 1132?) and did indeed use an EL85(or at least the MOV equivalent). ISTR it had very few wax caps, but very fragile knobs, and a tone control on the side. I never had the time to get mine going, but it looked a good set.
Another spendid job howard!
Old 27th Feb 2010, 2:45 pm   #5
howard
Nonode

Hello again,

Here is the replica HMV badge which is unobtainable from usual radio spares outlets. The quality of the central 'Nipper' image is superb and the outer text has been redrawn as per the original wording and font. It may be possible to accomodate different sizes and wording.

The chap who made it for me will supply these for a reasonable sum, send me a PM for details.

Howard
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	HMV_repro_badge 001.jpg
Views:	237
Size:	20.3 KB
ID:	32975  

Last edited by howard; 27th Feb 2010 at 2:50 pm.
Old 27th Feb 2010, 5:04 pm   #6
fidobsa
Retired Dormant Member

I've just ordered a load of capacitors for my HMV 1125 but could not find the sort I wanted. I had hoped to get the sand coloured tubular polyester type that was around in the '70s but they seem to no longer make those. Where did you get the capacitors for the 1360?
Old 28th Feb 2010, 12:53 pm   #7
howard
Nonode

Quote:
Originally Posted by fidobsa View Post
I've just ordered a load of capacitors for my HMV 1125 but could not find the sort I wanted. I had hoped to get the sand coloured tubular polyester type that was around in the '70s but they seem to no longer make those. Where did you get the capacitors for the 1360?
If you look at the pic of the underside of the chassis, the pale yellow capacitors are Vishay and LCR brands which were obtained from Farnells. The darker yellow capacitors are from JustRadios in Canada - those have capacitances which aren't available here nowadays eg: 0.05uF but you can get Vishays with capacitances from Farnells which are near enough eg: 0.047uF. I usually use 630 volt rated capacitors to replace paper capacitors but check for any with a higher voltage rating than that before ordering, Farnells and Justradios both carry 1000 volt capacitors and higher. I have used a 1500v LCR capacitor on the choke on the top of the chassis. The mains filter capacitor situated right next to the large smoothing capacitor is a 275 volt AC class X2 from Maplins.

Howard

Last edited by howard; 28th Feb 2010 at 1:10 pm.
Old 28th Feb 2010, 1:39 pm   #8
fidobsa
Retired Dormant Member

Thanks Howard. I did wonder why a couple of capacitors in my set were listed as 1000 volt whereas most don't specify a voltage. Not all the ones I ordered were high voltage so I will measure AC and DC voltages across the old ones before I risk changing them.
Old 28th Feb 2010, 9:25 pm   #9
howard
Nonode

Hello Fidobsa,

I have in fact fitted three 1000-1500v capacitors in the HMV 1360, plus the class X2 275v mains filter capacitor.

Howard
Closed Thread