UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Success Stories

Notices

Success Stories If you have successfully repaired or restored a piece of equipment, why not write up what you did and post details here. Particularly if it was interesting, unusual or challenging. PLEASE DO NOT POST REQUESTS FOR HELP HERE!

Closed Thread

Old 21st Dec 2009, 3:30 pm   #1
batterymaker1
Heptode

Default 1955 General Electric 677 Transistor Radio

I've had this set for nearly twenty years, but I haven't been able to enjoy it--all because of the battery.

This is GE's first transistor radio, loosely based on the Regency TR-1.

It uses an odd battery called a 239. It was a Minimax-styled
wafer stack tapped at 9 and 13.5 volts.

In previous years, I'd tried a few solutions involving zinc-air hearing aid batteries, but the results were full of fail.

Recently, someone asked me if I could make one for his--and he was willing to offer me an outrageous sum of money to do it...

Well, I told him he didn't need to "bribe" me, as I was thinking about having another go at making a viable 239. But I told him to give me a little time, as I had other orders to fill.

So, what to do?

First, I needed the cradle. This battery is not a simple box--it's octagonal.
So, I needed an octagonal holder.

I got that by making a dummy cover and lining it with transparent tape. I then poured in liquid Alumilite. The tape lining makes a great mold-release agent.

I now had a big black octagonal chunk of plastic. I cut a top and bottom filler section, drilled out a hole in the top section to accommodate a socket,
then added a notch to both sections. A circuit board with two N cell holders was then inserted in the middle.

Each holder was a "bank" for the respective 9 and 13.5 volts. In this case, a standard A23 garage door opener battery was inserted in the 13.5 bank.
A23's are 12 volts, so the loss of 1.5 volts was minimal.

To fill the other bank, I took apart another A23. Inside are eight 1.5 button cells. I took six of these and installed them in the other bank. Both banks are tied by a common negative.

Once the socket was wired in, I tried the set out. I had to fiddle with the set's plug for a little bit, and once I had it squared away, the set came to life.

I tweaked the IF's and the Oscillator, and got it to play decently. It's far from the best, not very sensitive and very thin, wispy sound, but it is one of the first transistor sets, so with that I say it's a success.

Now to make a few more 239's, work the bugs out of them, and add that battery to my ever expanding catalog. Work, work, work...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	6751.jpg
Views:	209
Size:	111.6 KB
ID:	31175   Click image for larger version

Name:	675 inside.jpg
Views:	203
Size:	112.9 KB
ID:	31176   Click image for larger version

Name:	239 finished.jpg
Views:	195
Size:	44.7 KB
ID:	31177   Click image for larger version

Name:	239 insides.jpg
Views:	194
Size:	78.3 KB
ID:	31178   Click image for larger version

Name:	239 side.jpg
Views:	195
Size:	79.0 KB
ID:	31179  

Old 21st Dec 2009, 4:17 pm   #2
paulsherwin

Default Re: 1955 General Electric 677 Transistor Radio

Nice job as usual.

It looks as if the internal cells are actually AG13s. It might be better to build around these rather than using the door opener batteries, as you could add an extra cell to get the 13.5V (sub a couple of AG10s if space is tight) and they would probably be cheaper. You can buy AG13s in huge quantities for little money on eBay.

Paul
Old 22nd Dec 2009, 1:20 am   #3
batterymaker1
Heptode

I'll look into those other batteries.

BTW: Video is here--

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fwZFuM0w0-I
Old 22nd Dec 2009, 6:01 pm   #4
newlite4
Octode

Very nice job Bill, but it seems such a lot of effort to have to go to, you have great patience.
This problem of transistor battery obsolescence seems more commonplace in American transistor sets. This is probably because British transistor sets, which were traditionally larger and less needfull of miniaturisation, were released a few years after the US sets, by which time some battery and voltage standardisation had begun to take place.
Top job!
Neil
Old 23rd Dec 2009, 2:12 pm   #5
batterymaker1
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by newlite4 View Post
Very nice job Bill, but it seems such a lot of effort to have to go to, you have great patience.
It would only be work if it wasn't fun! Having the goal of a playing radio with the battery you created--that looks like the original--is more than halfthe fun involved.

Lots of people say I'm a workaholic when it comes to these batteries. Workaholics, at least to me, are people driven by their work, no goal in sight, just work, work, work. For me, this is recreation, good exercise on the mind. And like Red Skelton used to interject on his show,
"...and the amazing thing about all this is that we get PAID for it!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by newlite4 View Post
This problem of transistor battery obsolescence seems more commonplace in American transistor sets. This is probably because British transistor sets, which were traditionally larger and less needfull of miniaturisation, were released a few years after the US sets, by which time some battery and voltage standardisation had begun to take place.
Top job!
Neil
Somewhat, but not near as much. If you want to see a slew of obsolete transistor batteries, head to Australia. They had a full line of odd-sized 9v jobs that disappeared when Japanese sets flooded the market.

And, yes, I'm dabbling in working replicas of them....