UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Hints, Tips and Solutions (Do NOT post requests for help here)

Notices

Hints, Tips and Solutions (Do NOT post requests for help here) If you have any useful general hints and tips for vintage technology repair and restoration, please share them here. PLEASE DO NOT POST REQUESTS FOR HELP HERE!

Closed Thread

Old 14th Oct 2017, 3:05 pm   #1
llama
Octode

Default 1/2" adaptor for Chinese cartridges

I have a couple of these for experimentation really. Looking at the base closely with an eyeglass I can't see an easy way to furnish a clip-in fixing. I remember someone used the supplied stylus guard as a mounting but I'd like to keep that available to guard the stylus. A look in my box of scrap cart bits didn't produce anything promising at all.

Measuring the slot in its base I find it is 5mm wide and about 13mm long. I decided to make a U-shape-plus-flanges adaptor to go into the cart's base and made up the one shown in the first picture very quickly. The 7mm dimension is approximate.

Casting around for suitable material I decided to use some light gauge ally - the "sleeve" around the top of a wine bottle after you've unscrewed the cap. A quick slit with a craft knife and it's off. I used wallpaper scissors to cut off the rippled section and the rest easily flattens. Drinks cans may provide the ally but I think the wine ally is a slightly tougher gauge. I used the scissors to cut myself a 13mm wide strip and then shaped it with fine-nose pliers.

Having checked it fitted the cart slot I measured 1/2" across the flanges centred on the U-shape and just twizzled a 2mm drill bit in my fingers to make suitable holes and then trimmed the flanges leaving a little land beyond the fixing holes. Using rather finer scissors I made the holes into slots.

I then super-glued the U-shape into the cart slot and left it to harden, followed by an application of hot-melt to partly fill the slot with this new bracket embedded. It was easy to fit it into a standard head-shell as shown. The white blob is the stylus guard and the whole lot is resting on bubble-wrap.

Hope this idea is useful to others.
Graham
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	RBbracket.jpg
Views:	176
Size:	25.1 KB
ID:	150740   Click image for larger version

Name:	RBcart-2sm.jpg
Views:	211
Size:	63.1 KB
ID:	150741