UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > General Vintage Technology Discussions

Notices

General Vintage Technology Discussions For general discussions about vintage radio and other vintage electronics etc.

Closed Thread

Old 9th Oct 2017, 9:24 pm   #21
russell_w_b
Dekatron

Default Re: Decent quality desk magnifier lamp

Mine came from a hobbyist's needlework shop (as a crimbo pressie) and was supplied with a clear incandescent ES lamp covered in blue lacquer for a 'daylight' colour temperature (I've had it a while now). It was supplied with a weighted base and a desk clamp. It isn't as good as the things we use at work with the circular fluorescent tubes in, but it's more than adequate - especially now I've fitted it with an LED bulb replacement.

My point is that you don't necessarily need an electronics / tool outlet to find such a thing.

Russell W. B.
G4YLI.
Old 9th Oct 2017, 10:52 pm   #22
MrBungle
Dekatron

By the way if you do get one of these, hot snot a load of copper coins to it. Cheap and easy way to make the base heavier
Old 10th Oct 2017, 10:28 am   #23
WaveyDipole
Nonode

The lamp arrived yesterday in a significantly oversized box, but no UK adapter so can't use the lamp yet. Its quite a bit bigger than the Maplin version and better made. The desk clamp is certainly much heftier and it seems to stay in position. On the downside, unlike with the Maplin version, there seems to be no lateral adjustment, only tilt and rotation. There is a seal over a couple of the screws so unfortunately I can't easily open it without voiding warranty. I'm now awaiting the arrival of the adapter so that I can try the lamp. One wonders why it could not have been sent in the same package. There was plenty of space in it!
Old 10th Oct 2017, 11:31 am   #24
TonyDuell
Dekatron

I assume it has a Europlug and that it's moulded as part of the power supply, so you can't cut it off and fit a BS1363 13A plug (which is what I would do if it was just a plug rather than mess around with adapters).

In which case, dare I suggest a screwdriver in the earth hole of a 13A socket to open the shutters and stick the Europlug in the live and neutral holes. If I do this, I do it on an unplugged extension lead, then plug the extension lead into the wall. Just in case.

And if it were mine, once I'd checked it worked I wouldn't care about the warranty. I'd open it up. I've never claimed under warranty yet, it's normally quicker and cheaper just to fix the problem on something like this.
Old 10th Oct 2017, 8:47 pm   #25
WaveyDipole
Nonode

I just got an email from Amazon to say that the adapter is on its way, but the invoice is rather weird:

Item Subtotal: £4.95
Postage & Packing: £0.06
Free Shipping: -£0.06
UK Adaptor for free: -£0.24
Total: £4.71
Paid by Visa: £4.71

When I paid for the lamp, the adapter was added and then deducted as a free item. However on checking the invoice for the lamp, it seems they deducted it from that invoice and have now invoiced it as a separate chargeable item. The total charged is still correct but this with its 0.06p postage and packing added and then deducted and 0.24p 'Uk adaptor for free' item seems a strange way to invoice it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyDuell View Post
I assume it has a Europlug and that it's moulded as part of the power supply, so you can't cut it off and fit a BS1363 13A plug (which is what I would do if it was just a plug rather than mess around with adapters).
In which case, dare I suggest a screwdriver in the earth hole of a 13A socket to open the shutters and stick the Europlug in the live and neutral holes. If I do this, I do it on an unplugged extension lead, then plug the extension lead into the wall. Just in case.

And if it were mine, once I'd checked it worked I wouldn't care about the warranty. I'd open it up. I've never claimed under warranty yet, it's normally quicker and cheaper just to fix the problem on something like this.[/QUOTE]

Yes it does have a moulded Europlug but there is no external power supply brick. It is just moulded on to the end of the mains flex. I could have cut off the Europlug and fitted a UK plug, but in the event of a problem I could not then send it back, so I was reluctant to do that. I generally would NOT bypass socket safety in the manner described, but just for the purpose of a brief test and talking appropriate precautions I gave it a go. The plug went in to a point where it got very tight, leaving the last 2-3mm of pin length still exposed. Something metallic could still get into the gap and cause a short so I would definitely not run it in this manner. This is just for the purpose of a brief test and for the purposes of disclaimer, it is NOT recommended to bypass socket safety in this manner and I will not be held responsible for injury or damage to persons or goods resulting to anyone who chooses to do so.

The lamp does work just fine but rather than a continuously variable level control, there appear to be 5 distinct brightness levels from dim to extremely bright, which is adequate enough. Hopefully the adapter will be here in a day or two.

Last edited by WaveyDipole; 10th Oct 2017 at 9:10 pm.
Old 10th Oct 2017, 9:26 pm   #26
WaveyDipole
Nonode

Quote:
See my comments above. I missed the 30min timeout to edit the post and add the quote.

Quote:
And if it were mine, once I'd checked it worked I wouldn't care about the warranty. I'd open it up. I've never claimed under warranty yet, it's normally quicker and cheaper just to fix the problem on something like this.
I generally tend to agree. Perhaps my mentioning the warranty was a bit mis-leading. As this was a new purchase, if it were faulty on delivery (which I now know it isn't) I would have wanted to return it. If it fails within the return period, I would also want to return it and not give the vendor any reason to reject the return. Beyond this, I have no problem with opening it up and repairing it if need be. As you say, probably quicker and cheaper to do so.
Old 10th Oct 2017, 9:52 pm   #27
julie_m
Dekatron

You can get neat, semi-permanent adaptors that screw over a Euro plug and convert it to fit a BS1363 socket, with an externally-accessed holder for a 3A fuse. Definitely better than the usual "deathdaptors" supplied with imported equipment fitted with non-UK plugs! I almost wonder if it wasn't better in the days before pre-fitted plugs, when an appliance came with bare wire ends and you were expected to fit your own plug .....
Old 11th Oct 2017, 5:19 am   #28
TonyDuell
Dekatron

Sorry I wasn't clear. I meant to open the socket shutters and stick the Europlug into the 13A socket FOR TESTING ONLY. I certainly wouldn't use something like that all the time, but I would do it just to make sure it works.

After that I might use an adapter, more likely I'd cut the plug off and fit a BS1363 one.
Old 11th Oct 2017, 6:31 am   #29
mole42uk
Nonode

I bought a similar lamp from RS and it arrived fitted with a moulded UK plug.
The adjustable brightness is perhaps the least useful feature, mine is always used on full.
I’ve owned mine for about 18 months and it’s vey good, reliable and useful.
Of course, it’s a little cheaper these days!

Index:
recursive loop: see recursive loop
Old 11th Oct 2017, 10:20 am   #30
DCBassman
Triode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldie99 View Post
Just checked to see if mine was still available - barely, it's end of life, and then a bit... but I did find one online, at a very good price (I have no connection to, or interest in, lighting-direct).

https://www.lighting-direct.co.uk/op...CABEgIDs_D_BwE

I've been using one of those for about 7-8 years, it's still working perfectly, and I'll be using it for years to come - just watch the flip down lens cover doesn't close on your nose...

Maybe one to consider anyway.
These are the 'lab standard' designs and will last forever. The price on this link is a small fraction of what they used to cost, and I'd have no hesitation in recommending this model. Used them for decades and never saw anything better.
Old 11th Oct 2017, 12:30 pm   #31
DonaldStott
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCBassman View Post
These are the 'lab standard' designs and will last forever. The price on this link is a small fraction of what they used to cost, and I'd have no hesitation in recommending this model. Used them for decades and never saw anything better.
This is an Illuminated Magnifier Light, with 1.5 x magnifying strength - surely that's not enough for a lot of the detailed work we need to do??
Old 11th Oct 2017, 1:48 pm   #32
Boater Sam
Banned

Location: Middlewich, Cheshire, UK. & Winter in the Philippines.

Lidl special magnifier. Mine is glued magnetically on to a 10lbs iron weight, it stays put now.
I agree the lens is somewhat variable in focal length depending on your viewing angle but in some ways its an advantage once you get used to it.
Old 11th Oct 2017, 1:54 pm   #33
WaveyDipole
Nonode

Quote:
Originally Posted by julie_m View Post
You can get neat, semi-permanent adaptors that screw over a Euro plug and convert it to fit a BS1363 socket, with an externally-accessed holder for a 3A fuse. Definitely better than the usual "deathdaptors" supplied with imported equipment fitted with non-UK plugs! I almost wonder if it wasn't better in the days before pre-fitted plugs, when an appliance came with bare wire ends and you were expected to fit your own plug .....
The adapter arrived today. It has the prongs shielded partway as it ought to be but the plastic looks a bit cheap and the top half does not sit flush with the bottom half on the corners opposite the screws. It appears to be made by German manufacturer Wentronic gmbH, but on the other side shows 'Made in China'. I guess the 'goobay' branding kind of gives the game away! What concerns me most is that although it is fused, the fuse is a 20mm glass fuse rather than the expected BS ceramic one. Naturally the supplied fuse was rated 13A so I had to replace it with a 2A one I had to hand. It does the job, but I'm not sure how safe it is and whether the CE mark is worth its weight in ink or whether it falls into the category of 'deathdaptors'. At some point I think I will fit a proper UK plug.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Adapter-01.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	44.8 KB
ID:	150600   Click image for larger version

Name:	Adapter-02.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	43.8 KB
ID:	150601   Click image for larger version

Name:	Adapter-03.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	40.6 KB
ID:	150602   Click image for larger version

Name:	Adapter-04.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	36.6 KB
ID:	150603  

Last edited by WaveyDipole; 11th Oct 2017 at 2:16 pm.
Old 11th Oct 2017, 8:10 pm   #34
AC/HL
Dekatron

I recently came across one of these on a friend's CD player: http://www.powerconnections.co.uk/co...rotouk_cp1.htm
OK if you'd rather not cut off the plug, apparently CPC stock them.
Old 11th Oct 2017, 9:46 pm   #35
julie_m
Dekatron

That's the same thing I meant in post #27, above.

The adaptor shown in post #33 looks a bit dodgy to me. The shroud around the socket suggests it should have top and bottom Earth bars for a Schuko plug or a protruding Earth pin for a French plug, but the plug has a plastic earth pin so they would not be connected to anything.

Why are properly Earthed Schuko to BS1363 adaptors so hard to come by?
Old 11th Oct 2017, 10:35 pm   #36
MrBungle
Dekatron

They are available, just quite expensive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC/HL View Post
I recently came across one of these on a friend's CD player: http://www.powerconnections.co.uk/co...rotouk_cp1.htm
OK if you'd rather not cut off the plug, apparently CPC stock them.
I can recommend the CPC ones. My wife dropped the removable one on her her hair straighteners down the toilet and fished it out with a fork and both of them went in the bin.

CPC one clamps on to the cable. Well engineered.
Old 12th Oct 2017, 10:25 am   #37
WaveyDipole
Nonode

Quote:
Originally Posted by julie_m View Post
That's the same thing I meant in post #27, above.

The adaptor shown in post #33 looks a bit dodgy to me....
Thanks for confirming that. I am wondering whether to send it back as not up to British Standard regulations and therefore not suitable for use in the UK. Otherwise its going in the bin.

Thanks for the links to the PowerConnections adapter. Being sourced from Germany, the plug on this lamp has a rounded lip and there is an equivalent PowerConnections adapter to fit this type as well. I managed to find one at both CPC and RS:

http://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/mains-...rters/7839574/
http://cpc.farnell.com/powerconnecti...13a/dp/PL06738

There is no postage fee when ordering from RS so although the adapter was costlier from RS (£1.90 ex VAT vs £1.44 ex VAT), the total worked out at £2.18 from RS vs £4.73 from CPC, so I have now placed an order with RS.

BTW can anyone suggest how one might plug one of these into a wall socket without electrocuting oneself?
http://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/mains-...rters/2604682/
Presumably once plugged in, the prongs on all sides become live? Anyway, I digress.
Old 12th Oct 2017, 12:48 pm   #38
julie_m
Dekatron

If the lamp has a proper Schuko plug with edge Earth contacts, then that non-Earthed adaptor is unsuitable. If it's just a high-power two-pin plug with a shaped plastic disc to prevent insertion in a low-power socket, then the adaptor is suitable for it, but not necessarily for anything else.

I'm guessing the "Travel Star" adaptor has an integral rotary switch mechanism to select which pins are connected to the socket, all the others being disconnected. It still doesn't pass an Earth connection through, though, even if used in an Earthed socket. Which is Not Good.
Old 13th Oct 2017, 5:17 pm   #39
WaveyDipole
Nonode

The adapter from RS arrived today. This is built a lot better and I am much happier with it. Thanks.
Closed Thread