UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Telephony and Telecomms

Notices

Vintage Telephony and Telecomms Vintage Telephones, Telephony and Telecomms Equipment

Closed Thread

Old 27th Aug 2017, 9:49 pm   #1
oldmoley1
Tetrode

Default BT Norstar CCU

I recently acquired a BT Meridian system, the power light of which flashes rapidly on and off when the CCU is switched on. Connected phones show flashing lights against the various function buttons, but these do not eventually go out, as I believe they should. There is no dial tone, but there is a very faint clicking in time with the flashing power light.

Has anyone any idea of what might be wrong?
Old 27th Aug 2017, 10:18 pm   #2
McMurdo
Dekatron

Default Re: BT Norstar CCU

Sounds like the PSU's tripping, either age-related (capacitors etc) or something's pulling it down. ISTR the Norstar phones show all the LCD indicators briefly when powering up and then go out.
Old 27th Aug 2017, 10:21 pm   #3
oldmoley1
Tetrode

Many thanks. I'm no expert, but did wonder whether a dodgy capacitor might be playing a part. Looks like I'll have to open the old girl up....
Old 28th Aug 2017, 6:13 pm   #4
AndiiT
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by McMurdo View Post
... ISTR the Norstar phones show all the LCD indicators briefly when powering up and then go out...
I would agree with this, I'm sure that the one and only Norstar I ever did battle with had a "moment' where all the indicators lit up briefly during power up then settled down.

I would also agree with the comments about a dodgy capacitor more than likely in the power supply section, these units are now approaching twenty five to thirty years of age.

Regards

Andrew
Closed Thread