UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items

Notices

Other Vintage Household Electrical or Electromechanical Items For discussions about other vintage (over 25 years old) electrical and electromechanical household items. See the sticky thread for details.

Closed Thread

Old 21st Aug 2017, 8:52 pm   #1
russell_w_b
Dekatron

Default Yet Another Torch...

I was given this today by a friend who'd had it in his locker for years: a 'parts-bin' Ever Ready handlamp fitted with NiCds instead of two 996 lantern batteries.

I suspect it's been 'nobbled' as there's space for four cells instead of the two that're in there. Given the heat-shrunk joints on the charging lead and inside, I'm guessing someone has made a 'Frankentorch' with the gizzards of an old Pifco after the original NiCds failed.

It works, though!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	lamp_01.jpg
Views:	221
Size:	198.8 KB
ID:	148202   Click image for larger version

Name:	lamp_02.jpg
Views:	219
Size:	169.1 KB
ID:	148203   Click image for larger version

Name:	lamp_03.jpg
Views:	200
Size:	175.0 KB
ID:	148204  

Russell W. B.
G4YLI.
Old 21st Aug 2017, 10:38 pm   #2
McMurdo
Dekatron

Default Re: Yet Another Torch...

I've got one the same, just 2 batteries. I think they were sold through argos. Maybe the 4-cell version was reserved for more upmarket retailers!
I bought mine new and it was never modified, looks just like yours.

I think the base can also be exchanged for a deeper one to accomodate 2 non-rechargable PJ996 batteries. There are mouldings in the top bit to accept self tappers to hold the appropriate brass busbars and contacts in place.

PS My auntie has a version with 6V yuasa lead acid battery and a 1/4in jack plug charging arrangement, but the moulding is the same. In this case there's a sticker on it which says 'manufacturerd by Clulite' or someone like that. I changed its battery about 10 years ago. That one, being a 6V version, has the PJ996 busbars fitted, and flying leads soldered to those. Again it was like that from new.

Last edited by McMurdo; 21st Aug 2017 at 10:51 pm. Reason: added a bit at the end
Old 21st Aug 2017, 11:10 pm   #3
russell_w_b
Dekatron

Default Re: Yet Another Torch...

Quote:
Originally Posted by McMurdo View Post
s a version with 6V yuasa lead acid battery and a 1/4in jack plug charging arrangement, but the moulding is the same. In this case there's a sticker on it which says 'manufacturerd by Clulite' or someone like that. I changed its battery about 10 years ago. That one, being a 6V version, has the PJ996 busbars fitted, and flying leads soldered to those. Again it was like that from new.
I have a 'traditional' 2 x PJ996 version which I've modified to Yuasa, used in conjunction with a wall-wart managed lead-acid charger. I've recently fitted an LED replacement to it. Sounds like my method is similar to that of Cluson Engineering, apart from me using foam packing wedged either side of the battery, perhaps.

Cluson seem to offer modifed COTS torches in their economy 'Clulite' range. The popular Cluliter Classic seems to be based on a nondescript Chinese torch moulding from years ago.

Russell W. B.
G4YLI.
Old 22nd Aug 2017, 6:53 pm   #4
Tractorfan
Dekatron

Location: St. Frajou, l'Isle en Dodon, Haute Garonne, France.(Previously: Ellesmere Port, Cheshire, UK.)
Smile Re: Yet Another Torch...

Hi,
I have two of the 2x996 type, one bought in my teenage, and the other I bought yesterday.
The hospital boiler house I worked in back in the early 70s had a rechargeable version with a shallow battery box, Ni-Cad cells and a built-in charger which connected to the mains via a miniature Bulgin plug. I seem to remember that the battery didn't last an awfully long time and the light wasn't as good as my own torch.
Cheers, Pete.