UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 22nd Oct 2017, 9:12 pm   #1
JanKnight63
Retired Dormant Member

Default PAM 710 radio

Hi everyone.

I'm new to the forum & would be very grateful for any advice although I am not a radio buff. My mother passed away earlier this year and I am in the process of winding up her estate. I have in my possession a PAM 710 radio which was purchased by my father new in 1956. I have the original brochure for it and hoping to turn up the receipt. He used to listen to it regularly up to his death in 2004, usually The Archers, but currently it is not working. I suspect with new batteries in it would probably go but so far have not been able to open the cover and don't want to do any damage. It is a little dusty but otherwise in pretty good condition.

I am aware this is now a very rare radio of some value and it does of course have some sentimental value to my sister & myself. I am unsure as to the best thing to do with it i.e.. get it restored and sell it, donate as a museum piece or hang on to it.

I would very much appreciate any thoughts from the experts and will take some pictures in the next few days.

Thank you, Jan.
Old 22nd Oct 2017, 10:48 pm   #2
'LIVEWIRE?'
Rest in Peace

Default Re: PAM 710 radio

The Trader Service data for the PAM710 is available for £1.99 from the VRSD Link at the top of this page. It should include notes on how to open the case, and what battery(ies) it takes. Be aware that some types & sizes of battery used in early transistor radios are no longer available. Other members may be able to specifically answer your questions.
Old 23rd Oct 2017, 12:21 am   #3
AC/HL
Dekatron

Surprisingly, as this was the first UK transistor radio, the batteries are still available (U2, now known as a D cell, or large torch cell). Chances are that it will work, but given the value of this radio it should be either sold as seen (with an accurate description of it's condition) or restored by an experienced Engineer. It's value is in the hundreds of pounds, so you're right to be careful.
Old 23rd Oct 2017, 7:31 pm   #4
JanKnight63
Retired Dormant Member

Pics added

Thank you for your replies.
I have put batteries in ( I remembered how my Dad used to do it ) & it is alive, but not picking up anything discernible. I certainly won't mess with it at all as would have no idea what would need doing.
If anyone has recommendations as to who to get to look at it that would be helpful, I'm in Norfolk & would want to take it along personally.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5291.jpg
Views:	182
Size:	92.3 KB
ID:	151258   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5292.jpg
Views:	189
Size:	77.4 KB
ID:	151259   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5295.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	87.9 KB
ID:	151260   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5296.jpg
Views:	183
Size:	107.8 KB
ID:	151261   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5297.jpg
Views:	158
Size:	98.3 KB
ID:	151262  

Old 23rd Oct 2017, 8:51 pm   #5
Sideband
Dekatron

Yes whatever you do don't mess with it! It's your radio to do with as you wish but it IS a valuable set. There are only few of these around in good original condition so either keep it as it is or sell it but get an idea of the price by looking at sold samples on eBay.

Probably no harm in trying the set with new batteries (D cells).
Old 23rd Oct 2017, 9:06 pm   #6
AC/HL
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanKnight63 View Post
If anyone has recommendations as to who to get to look at it that would be helpful, I'm in Norfolk & would want to take it along personally.
Make a post in this section: https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...play.php?f=145.
Old 23rd Oct 2017, 9:38 pm   #7
paulsherwin

There's a good chance that all this radio needs is a squirt of Servisol 10 switch cleaner in the wavechange switch contacts, followed by a bit of vigorous switch operation. You can buy Servisol in Maplins or online. Don't be tempted to use WD40.
Old 23rd Oct 2017, 10:31 pm   #8
turretslug
Dekatron

Bit of a pre-emptive warning: If you do hang onto the radio for any length of time, bear in mind that Duracell batteries have earned themselves a rather poor reputation for leaking corrosive fluid over the last few years, they're certainly not as trustworthy as they once were. Something to keep an eye on, it would be a shame if this noteworthy survivor became damaged this way.
Old 24th Oct 2017, 7:52 am   #9
JanKnight63
Retired Dormant Member

Thank you guys
I won't be squirting anything in as not qualified! I will remove the Duracells if we decide to hang on to it too.
Old 24th Oct 2017, 11:52 am   #10
AC/HL
Dekatron

Regardless of make, it's good practice to remove batteries in any equipment not used for long periods.
Closed Thread