UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment

Notices

Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment For discussions about vintage test gear and workshop equipment such as coil winders.

Closed Thread

Old 29th Jul 2021, 2:25 pm   #1
HECTOR63
Banned

Default Vinyl Turntable test parts

We are looking to make a bench kit up of various guages records etc for general kingd of Project,Rega etc so we can service most turntables and perform function check of stylus and alignments etc-any recomendations fro past experiences? I already have 2 wow and flutter meters plus scopes etc so that sides covered in case required.
Old 29th Jul 2021, 3:22 pm   #2
G6ONEDave
Octode

Default Re: Viynl Turntable test parts

A printed card, metal or plastic strobe disc to sit on the turntable to test speed and perhaps a balance weight gauge for checking the tracking weight of the pick-up assy (stylus, cartridge, tone arm etc). A few spare centre spindles would not go amiss either.

Dave
Old 30th Jul 2021, 10:19 am   #3
HECTOR63
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by G6ONEDave View Post
A printed card, metal or plastic strobe disc to sit on the turntable to test speed and perhaps a balance weight gauge for checking the tracking weight of the pick-up assy (stylus, cartridge, tone arm etc). A few spare centre spindles would not go amiss either.

Dave
Thanks Dave parts noted and listed for shopping any good sources of suppliers? I have looked at the Clear Audio project kit but that a tad expensive for what it covers IMO! But parts from rega and project but must be universal as I never know whats coming in at any one time.At the moment Im getting ready to check out a B&o Beogram 1003.Really like these aswell simple and superb design and the catridge as usual totally unique for its day in terms of physical designs.I have been looking around Analogue Seduction as they are pretty hot on parts but just on a bit of a budget to learn from and then when more tables come in we can up the test facilities for estimates and wear and tear advices.
Old 30th Jul 2021, 4:42 pm   #4
Reelman
Octode

Perhaps a spirit level, a couple of spare head shells (with appropriate screws) and a set of “tails” that connect the cartridge to the arm. A copy of the HiFi News test record?

Peter
Old 31st Jul 2021, 2:37 pm   #5
HECTOR63
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reelman View Post
Perhaps a spirit level, a couple of spare head shells (with appropriate screws) and a set of “tails” that connect the cartridge to the arm. A copy of the HiFi News test record?

Peter
Many thanks Peter,yes added to the list-we are budgeting for about £250 initially and ongoing additions once some work is recovered to expand on the budget.But its a work in progress and will put us in a better stead for the future with exepriences etc to follow.
Old 1st Aug 2021, 6:20 pm   #6
G6ONEDave
Octode

There were some of those printed strobe cards supplied with various hi-fi mags back in the day. You could probably download one to print out but you need to be careful with sizing otherwise it might lie to you re the correct speed. Something else to add to the list is some 45rpm record centres, as the centre hole often wears with a lot of use, which can cause record slippage on the turntable.

Sorry I forgot about the spare headshell carriers, surprising as I do have that covered myself.

Dave
Old 1st Aug 2021, 6:25 pm   #7
Cobaltblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by G6ONEDave View Post
There were some of those printed strobe cards supplied with various hi-fi mags back in the day. You could probably download one to print out but you need to be careful with sizing otherwise it might lie to you re the correct speed.

Dave
Err isn't it just the number of "spokes" or colour change that matter on the strobe disc.

Cheers

Mike T
Old 1st Aug 2021, 6:26 pm   #8
TonyDuell
Dekatron

Surely the thing that matters with a strobe disk is that it has the right number of marks around the circle, not how big that circle is.

Last edited by TonyDuell; 1st Aug 2021 at 6:27 pm. Reason: Posts crossed.
Old 2nd Aug 2021, 8:36 am   #9
wd40addict
Octode

https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...d.php?t=176263
Old 2nd Aug 2021, 11:26 am   #10
Uncle Bulgaria
Nonode

Default Re: Vinyl Turntable test parts

Perhaps you want to make up a protractor to use for visual tracking and alignment checks, or for setting up cartridges to a client's specific requirements. These ones do Loefgren B and Baerwald.
Old 2nd Aug 2021, 1:08 pm   #11
Hartley118
Nonode

Checking stylus condition needs a microscope - say at least x80 magnification with suitable lighting.

Martin
Old 2nd Aug 2021, 1:13 pm   #12
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

A cheap, digital stylus force gauge is very worthwhile.

But probably probably the most important thing is EXPERIENCE
Old 2nd Aug 2021, 3:25 pm   #13
G6ONEDave
Octode

I mentioned about being careful with sizing, perhaps the wrong word there. It depends on how the image is created i.e. if from a photo or scan, often the edges of the image can be slightly distorted. This could produce uneven spaces between the lines or even slightly bent lines, either of which will prevent the strobe from being as effective as it should be.

This was from an article that I read many years ago but try as I have, I can't remember which magazine it was mentioned in. My thought as a solution if in any doubt is to scan the strobe with a sheet of graph paper behind it. That way once at the print stage the image can be correctly scaled. Once printed onto light card, cut out the strobe disc from the reference graph backing and cut a centre hole. I'll try to post an example later if I get chance, if I can locate my strobe disc in the workshop.

Dave
Old 3rd Aug 2021, 2:09 am   #14
QQVO6/40
Hexode

G'day everyone.

Be careful with download strobe sheets as those intended for the USA (60Hz power) will not work for us here in Australia or the UK (50Hz power).
Also make sure that your mains power for the strobe light is pure 50Hz. I had some weird results here till I worked out that with so much solar power from adjoining properties plus Zelweger tones there was a lot of harmonics on the incoming mains power. It was playing games with the small neon lamp for the strobe. Speed checks in the early hours of the morning were accurate because no solar so no inverters / harmonics.
Just my 2d worth from personal experience.

Cheers all.
Robert. VK2ZWZ
Old 3rd Aug 2021, 4:36 am   #15
TonyDuell
Dekatron

I think I've mentioned it before but I built a white-LED strobe lamp that gives either 100 or 120 flashes per second to use with either 50Hz or 60Hz strobe disks. I originally built it for setting the spindle speed on floppy disk drives but it would probably be OK for record turntables too.

The timing is based on one of those 4-pin crystal oscillator cans, I would have thought that was accurate enough.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Stroboscope_50Hz_60Hz.pdf (368.1 KB, 54 views)
Old 3rd Aug 2021, 7:51 am   #16
Ted Kendall
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickthedentist View Post
A cheap, digital stylus force gauge is very worthwhile.

But probably probably the most important thing is EXPERIENCE
Hear, hear - preferably not obtained at the expense of paying customers.

Garrard and Goldring made very effective strobe discs which show up from time to time.
Old 3rd Aug 2021, 11:26 am   #17
G6ONEDave
Octode

Here's the scan of the larger strobe disc and a guide jig for the correct setting down of the stylus. Hope they are of help.

Dave
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	turntable strobe.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	72.1 KB
ID:	238752  
Old 3rd Aug 2021, 11:46 am   #18
G6ONEDave
Octode

Forgot to do the instructions for the alignment protractor. This alignment protractor was originally provided by Practical Hi-Fi and the copyright was held by IPC Magazines Ltd 1980. It is printed on a plastic sheet.

The backing graph paper is 1cm squares with 1mm sub squares.

How to use
Ideally the sides of the pickup cartridge should be parallel to the horizontal lines of the protractor when the stylus tip is placed on either of the two alignment points (the centres of the cross within the circles). This can be acheived by checking the alignment at both points, then moving the cartridge forwards or backwards and also twisting it laterally within the headshell and re-checking as necessary. For headshells which obscure the cartridge sides, the front of the cartridge can be aligned with the lines provided. If it proves impossible to achieve alignment at both points, then line up at the inner position and get the outer one as close to correct as possible.

With some arms there is limited headshell adjustment, but sometimes the arm base position can be altered to achieve alignment as outlined above.

Other adjustments
Don't forget to ensure that the sides of the cartridge as seen from the front, are verticle to the record. The arm should also be near enough parallel to the record surface as viewed from the side. If not, spacers between cartridge and headshell, or an alteration in arm pivot height (where provided for) may be required.

Hope posts 17 and 18 are of help and I provide it with no connection to the original authors/copyright holders.
Old 3rd Aug 2021, 12:05 pm   #19
HECTOR63
Banned

Please accept my sincerest thanks to all that have replied with ideas and leads,yes the strobe situation will be a Hardware one for me with disc and strobe light and have some ideas on wish list as i go along.Managed to get some great information from Linn manuals aswell in various PDF forms with bits and pecies to take direction from.Point also seriously noted at 'Not at the expense of the customer' Too right aswellMy thoughts are always with that and this is personal investement to my project undertakings and experieneces that will never justify charging onto the customer everytime its part of the job I need to be able to apply to so thats that and always will be
Also great advice on the microscope I shall take a look into that information and again once I have some kit list ready to purchase I shall come back and update with whats on its way plenty to look at aswell.
Old 3rd Aug 2021, 5:30 pm   #20
chriswood1900
Octode

One thing I have found useful was a small mirror around the thickness of a LP which you can place on the platter lower the cartridge and look at the cartridge/stylus from various angles to check the alignment.
Closed Thread