UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players

Notices

Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players Open-reel tape recorders, cassette recorders, 8-track players etc.

Closed Thread

Old 26th Jul 2021, 3:30 pm   #1
DMcMahon
Dekatron

Default Tape Recorder Plastic Gears Lubrication

What do people do/recommend for lubricating the various plastic gears in tape recorder mechanisms, leave dry or lubricate, if lubricate with what ?

David
Old 26th Jul 2021, 3:45 pm   #2
TonyDuell
Dekatron

Default Re: Tape Recorder Plastic Gears Lubrication

Unless the service manuals says you can, do not use any mineral oil or grease on plastic gears. Suh lubricants attack some plastics.

I normally use an Electrolube product called 'Special Plastic Grease' I bought it from Maplin many years ago, a little goes a long way. I think RS sell it now, it's not cheap but worth it.

For fast-moving plastic parts, I normally use one of those PTFE-based dry film lubricants that are specified to be safe on plastic.
Old 26th Jul 2021, 4:01 pm   #3
paulsherwin

I agree you shouldn't lubricate plastic gears if this wasn't done by the manufacturer.

Although grease and oil will indeed adversely affect some plastics, I always use my trusty tube of 'Mobil Shackleton Propeller Grease' which I bought for 10p in a military surplus shop in Oxford 40 years ago. I've no idea what's in it, or what the RAF used it for, but it was obviously custom made for the MOD at some ridiculous cost. I've never had any trouble with it.
Old 26th Jul 2021, 4:04 pm   #4
Ted Kendall
Dekatron

Superlube works well on metal and plastic. Silicone based.
Old 26th Jul 2021, 4:05 pm   #5
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

The Japanese seem to have a lovely selection of lubricants which they used in videos and tape machines and CD players, with names like Hitasol and Floil.

Often dark grey or creamy white, usually not very viscous at all and good at staying put, and very long lasting.

But even when available, they cost a fortune.

I have some SPG but it seems to go sticky after a year or two in my experience.
Old 26th Jul 2021, 4:14 pm   #6
paulsherwin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted Kendall View Post
Superlube works well on metal and plastic. Silicone based.
I suspect my super duper military grease is also silicone. It certainly doesn't have that characteristic automotive grease smell, and there must be some good reason why the MOD didn't just order a few cans of Castrolease from the local motor factor.
Closed Thread