UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > General Vintage Technology Discussions

Notices

General Vintage Technology Discussions For general discussions about vintage radio and other vintage electronics etc.

Closed Thread

Old 1st Sep 2022, 10:58 pm   #101
Doghouse Riley
No Longer a Member

Default Re: The repair shop. 31 August 2022.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward Huggins View Post
Did anyone here see the TV programme last night with the Radiogram restoration? There was a Guy working on a BSR UA14 autochanger.
I saw that.
As with other similar restorations, there was "obviously" no need to change any valves, capacitors, or resistors.
Or more likely the producer considers the inclusion of that sort of work not as interesting to viewers as scraping some paint off the cabinet.

He made a bit of a fuss about the turntable jockeywheel. I doubt if there was any need to make one. But it's a task "they could share." They like to do a lot of that sort of, "team building inclusivity."

I didn't find any difficulty obtaining one from a spares supplier for one of my fifty-odd year-old jukeboxes.

The history of the radiogram was typical. In the sixties in my early 20s, I managed a radio & TV store in Edmonton North London.
We had a lot of West Indian customers. Most were young men who had come over to work on the tube or buses. Many lived in sparsely furnished one room bed-sits.
For many, their first major purchase would be a Bluespot radiogram, the one with the cocktail cabinet. They'd buy it on the drip. From memory, they were 105 guineas as such items were priced in those days. That's more than two and a half grand in today's money.

They were very good payers.

Over time I've seen them repair two fifties jukeboxes.

I think the objective is just to get them working. They spend a lot of time on the cosmetics. They obviously spend little time on the amplifier and none on the speakers.

With both "reveals," they sounded no better than a Dansette record player.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	sddefault.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	34.1 KB
ID:	264106  

Last edited by Doghouse Riley; 1st Sep 2022 at 11:05 pm.
Old 2nd Sep 2022, 8:26 am   #102
stevehertz
Dekatron

Default Re: The Repair Shop. BBC TV programme.

Don't take it too seriously, it's entertainment for the masses, not a YouTube step by step tutorial on how to restore a radiogram. You also have to consider repetition Vis a Vis previous similar restorations, and the very limited time for each 'job' on the show, with the accent on the word show. Us lot on here can be technical and factual till the cows come home, but we are not makers and producers of TV programmes, and 'ner the twain shall meet. They make the things, they sell the things and the viewing figures and remakes show - certainly in this case - they're getting it right. Just like all programmes, there will be those who think that they're not, and that's quite normal.
Old 2nd Sep 2022, 8:52 am   #103
The Philpott
Dekatron

As already mentioned by others, it is after all titled The Repair Shop rather than Restoration Shop (although the fact that the former title has a more rounded sound to it must have been a factor- and you have to have a rounded title, that's absolutely 'key' as a project manager would say..)

Multi-disciplined jobs are a great idea- i see things that are outside my skill set, comfort zone and/or knowledge.

Dave

Dave
Old 2nd Sep 2022, 10:04 am   #104
Doghouse Riley
No Longer a Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevehertz View Post
Don't take it too seriously, it's entertainment for the masses, not a YouTube step by step tutorial on how to restore a radiogram. You also have to consider repetition Vis a Vis previous similar restorations, and the very limited time for each 'job' on the show, with the accent on the word show. Us lot on here can be technical and factual till the cows come home, but we are not makers and producers of TV programmes, and 'ner the twain shall meet. They make the things, they sell the things and the viewing figures and remakes show - certainly in this case - they're getting it right. Just like all programmes, there will be those who think that they're not, and that's quite normal.

My point was that the BBC, as often, think their target audience is more stupid and have poor attention spans, than in reality. It ain't "Blue Peter."
Old 2nd Sep 2022, 10:27 am   #105
Restoration73
Nonode

It's not aimed at us - in six years there has not been the repair of a 405 or 625 telly, or
a VCR. We should be grateful it is free of automotive subjects, perhaps with the exception of
steam or electric models.

It differs from BP in that there are no live elephants on set.
Old 2nd Sep 2022, 11:19 am   #106
Doghouse Riley
No Longer a Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Restoration73 View Post
It's not aimed at us - in six years there has not been the repair of a 405 or 625 telly, or
a VCR. We should be grateful it is free of automotive subjects, perhaps with the exception of
steam or electric models.

It differs from BP in that there are no live elephants on set.
Who's "Us?"

Anyone with a bit of common sense?
This programme goes out at 8.00pm for supposedly adult audiences.

I'd add..

Just mentioning, "It was necessary to check out the various valves, capacitors and resistors, for deterioration and replace where necessary, to prevent the thing possibly catching fire after regular use six months down the line," would have sent viewers to sleep or made them switch to another chanel.

Suprising ommission by the BBC who are at pains to demonstrate good elf n' safety practices on this programme.

Instead.

"Just show them the dial cord being replaced."

See? "Visual."

Last edited by Doghouse Riley; 2nd Sep 2022 at 11:26 am.
Old 2nd Sep 2022, 11:34 am   #107
Valvepower
Octode

Hi,

I used to watch the Repair Shop seeing as ‘just’ light entertainment in the evening and not being an in-depth tutorial as regards repairs etc., which has to be put in byte sized digestible lumps for mass evening TV viewing.

However, of late I’ve completely stopped looking at the Repair Shop as I was really, really struggling with the high emotional content, especially after the passing of both my parents within three months of each other a couple of years ago.

I do miss watching Steve, Mark, Dominic, Will, Kirsten and of course the Bear Ladies, but the ’ole head space stuff must come first!

Terry
Old 2nd Sep 2022, 12:42 pm   #108
stitch1
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valvepower View Post
Hi,

I used to watch the Repair Shop seeing as ‘just’ light entertainment in the evening and not being an in-depth tutorial as regards repairs etc., which has to be put in byte sized digestible lumps for mass evening TV viewing.

However, of late I’ve completely stopped looking at the Repair Shop as I was really, really struggling with the high emotional content, especially after the passing of both my parents within three months of each other a couple of years ago.

I do miss watching Steve, Mark, Dominic, Will, Kirsten and of course the Bear Ladies, but the ’ole head space stuff must come first!

Terry
I record it and fast-forward past most of the emotional content. I don’t suppose I'm the target audience but find the skilled restorations very entertaining.

John

John
Old 2nd Sep 2022, 1:05 pm   #109
Paul Stenning
Administrator

Likewise, I'm not that interested in the stories etc. However the stories and reveals are a big part of the show's appeal.

I am in The Repair Shop - Friendly Fans Facebook group, and a lot of the discussion there is about the stories and the experts rather than the specifics of the restorations (other than general admiration of their work).

Paul Stenning
Forum Admin/Owner and BVWS Webmaster
Old 2nd Sep 2022, 1:31 pm   #110
Doghouse Riley
No Longer a Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stitch1 View Post
Quote:
Hi,

Terry
I record it and fast-forward past most of the emotional content. I don’t suppose I'm the target audience but find the skilled restorations very entertaining.

John

John
I wasn't going to mention it, but as that particular "box" has been opened, I'm aware that the "emotional content" has been expanded over the years. I think a lot of the increased interest in the programme is because of that.
As well as the "reveal," we now have a few minutes of the owner's tearful monologue to camera outside the workshop. By then I've moved on to the next item.

What's the betting some of these repairs go straight back in the cupboard where they've spent the last fifty years?

I do skip through some, there's just so many teddy bears you can suffer.

And an old wallet. Seriously?

I wasn't surprised that we got "Windrush" and "Indian Independence, " in the same programme. The objective, to raise some interesting talking points?

I was impressed with the repair last week of the dog that flipped pancakes.
Old 2nd Sep 2022, 1:57 pm   #111
Valvepower
Octode

Hi,

Strangely I feel guilty for fast forwarding through the emotional reveals and the angst – I know it really sounds silly and daft, but I feel it’s showing no respect for the folks situation and emotions. I suppose seeking the help of a Councillor (I don’t mind admitting to it) gives me a slightly different take on, or feeling towards the reveals…

I have respect for the experts, but of late the emotions of the reveals have just got in the way of watching the show and appreciating the work of the restorers.

Regards
Terry
Old 2nd Sep 2022, 2:12 pm   #112
Doghouse Riley
No Longer a Member

Quote:
Hi,

Strangely I feel guilty for fast forwarding through the emotional reveals and the angst – I know it really sounds silly and daft, but I feel it’s showing no respect for the folks situation and emotions. I suppose seeking the help of a Councillor (I don’t mind admitting to it) gives me a slightly different take on, or feeling towards the reveals…

I have respect for the experts, but of late the emotions of the reveals have just got in the way of watching the show and appreciating the work of the restorers.

Regards
Terry
In these "emotionally charged situations," one wonders which "take," they used. It is reality TV after all.
Old 2nd Sep 2022, 2:22 pm   #113
stevehertz
Dekatron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doghouse Riley View Post
Quote:

My point was that the BBC, as often, think their target audience is more stupid and have poor attention spans, than in reality. It ain't "Blue Peter."
I have to disagree, here, the "target audience" is as wide as a gate. In general the vast majority of viewers will not know enough about the workings of a radiogram to take onboard, or even be interested in more in-depth explanations of the restoration than was shown. That doesn't make them stupid. I could be watching a medical programme and if they went into any real depth about such I'd probably lose track, that doesn't make me stupid, or that I have a short attention span. I think you'll find that the BBC, perhaps more than any organisation in the world, 'know their audience'. And in saying that, of course in any programme there is a peak in the middle of the viewers watching regarding their level of understanding. There has to be a balance on all programmes that are even vaguely technical between being entertaining and interesting (which they have to be), and understandable. I would wager that even at the umbrella level they went into on that restoration, there would still have been many who 'lost contact' when he said, for example, 'I'm bringing the voltage up slowly'.
Old 2nd Sep 2022, 2:43 pm   #114
Doghouse Riley
No Longer a Member

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

I have to disagree, here, the "target audience" is as wide as a gate. In general the vast majority of viewers will not know enough about the workings of a radiogram to take onboard, or even be interested in more in-depth explanations of the restoration than was shown. That doesn't make them stupid. I could be watching a medical programme and if they went into any real depth about such I'd probably lose track, that doesn't make me stupid, or that I have a short attention span. I think you'll find that the BBC, perhaps more than any organisation in the world, 'know their audience'. And in saying that, of course in any programme there is a peak in the middle of the viewers watching regarding their level of understanding. There has to be a balance on all programmes that are even vaguely technical between being entertaining and interesting (which they have to be), and understandable. I would wager that even at the umbrella level they went into on that restoration, there would still have been many who 'lost contact' when he said, for example, 'I'm bringing the voltage up slowly'.
Hmm..

You're talking to the converted.
The object of the exercise, is that when a programme is about a particular subject much of it is pitched at a dumbed down level that will hopefully attract viewers who would not normally be interested. It's all about chasing ratings.

But it's about what level of intelligence the BBC perceive of that of their audience.

In my opinion they treat them as dumber than they are.

That's why in many programmes they keep switching from one subject to the next, "perceived limited attention span," can be the main reason.

In some programmes, particularly those fronted by "the usual suspects."

They tell you what they are going to show you.
Show you.
Move on to something else.
Then come back a couple of minutes later and remind you what they showed you.
It's so unnecessary.

Yes the BBC know their audience.

They use the term "navigate" when attempting to direct people towards what they want them to watch. A bit of an insult in my opinion.
Old 2nd Sep 2022, 2:59 pm   #115
Welsh Anorak
Dekatron

Two old radio mantras come to mind..

"Tell them you're going to tell them, tell them, then tell them you've told them"
and "Never over-estimate the intelligence of your audience".
Old 2nd Sep 2022, 3:14 pm   #116
ms660
Dekatron

A lot of the posts in this thread remind me of the four those.

1) Those that know.

2) Those that don't know.

3) Those that don't know that they don't know.

4) Those that don't give a rats either ways.

Lawrence.
Old 2nd Sep 2022, 3:15 pm   #117
PaulR
Dekatron

At least he didn't rip out the internals and substitute a modern amp. The mat on original similar turntables I have come across has gone rock hard but no mention was made of that. I also wondered about the suitability of the replaced idler wheel as it almost stopped when the record dropped. The original seemed to be warped.

I don't find the electronic repairs to be particularly interesting as I think "I could do that" I envy the lovely equipment the clock repairer has " I will just turn one up on the lathe" and the resources generally available. I could never repair ceramics, paintings, leather or wooden items to the standards shown which are very high but maybe others who do it as a hobby feel about those as I do about the electronics items.

I am under no illusions that this is the first time the restorers have seen the items or that they and their stories aren't carefully vetted before being accepted but I find the programme interesting and entertaining.
Old 2nd Sep 2022, 3:18 pm   #118
Doghouse Riley
No Longer a Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulR View Post
At least he didn't rip out the internals and substitute a modern amp. The mat on original similar turntables I have come across has gone rock hard but no mention was made of that. I also wondered about the suitability of the replaced idler wheel as it almost stopped when the record dropped. The original seemed to be warped.

I don't find the electronic repairs to be particularly interesting as I think "I could do that" I envy the lovely equipment the clock repairer has " I will just turn one up on the lathe" and the resources generally available. I could never repair ceramics, paintings, leather or wooden items to the standards shown which are very high but maybe others who do it as a hobby feel about those as I do about the electronics items.

I am under no illusions that this is the first time the restorers have seen the items or that they and their stories aren't carefully vetted before being accepted but I find the programme interesting and entertaining.
Yes it's easy to forget that everything has to fit into a one hour show.

it amuses me that after someone brings in a project, sometimes a bit of necessary equipment shows up in the barn that wasn't there before!

"How do they do that?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by ms660 View Post

1) Those that know.

Lawrence.
Thanks for that wonderful insight, you've added much to a topic in which you've obviously no interest.

"I blame Facebook."
Old 2nd Sep 2022, 3:45 pm   #119
stevehertz
Dekatron

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Hmm..

You're talking to the converted.
The object of the exercise, is that when a programme is about a particular subject much of it is pitched at a dumbed down level that will hopefully attract viewers who would not normally be interested. It's all about chasing ratings.

But it's about what level of intelligence the BBC perceive of that of their audience.

In my opinion they treat them as dumber than they are.

That's why in many programmes they keep switching from one subject to the next, "perceived limited attention span," can be the main reason.

In some programmes, particularly those fronted by "the usual suspects."

They tell you what they are going to show you.
Show you.
Move on to something else.
Then come back a couple of minutes later and remind you what they showed you.
It's so unnecessary.

Yes the BBC know their audience.

They use the term "navigate" when attempting to direct people towards what they want them to watch. A bit of an insult in my opinion.
Well yes, we are talking about a new generation of people who have been indoctrinated with 'entertainment' that is aimed more below the waist than it is cerebral. That's just the way it is I'm afraid, blame a certain country for that, mentioning no names. You only have to look at the amount of rubbish, so called reality shows that are shown on TV that are more boring than watching paint dry, and more gutter worthy too - I'm not referring to the BBC or any other organisation now, just in general. And so, to some extent, the vast majority of programmes these days have to 'tip their hat' to this style if they are to attain decent viewing figures. But to me, the Repair Shop is a lovely, homely programme that gives me a warm feeling and yes, I learn something about restoration from every show. The emotional side is nice too, to see people appreciating the amazing work that has been done on their items, taking them back to times past, metaphorically touching the hands of loved ones since deceased, the tears of joy. Nowt wrong with that, life isn't all about stats, science and maths, it's a cold person who lives in world governed by solid objects and eschews emotions.
Old 2nd Sep 2022, 3:50 pm   #120
ms660
Dekatron

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ms660 View Post

1) Those that know.

Lawrence.
Thanks for that wonderful insight, you've added much to a topic in which you've obviously no interest.
But sometimes I do when I correct some on here for the lack of observation/not paying attention before criticising Mr. Stuckey (no names mentioned)

When I've watched it I've actually quite liked the program and I don't get what all the moans/fuss is about, after all it's only TV program.

The program makers seem to have done a good job targeting the market audience, not only have they got the attention of their usual viewers they've also got the attention of the most critical it would seem...which has got to be a win win for them so far as eyes on screens goes.

Lawrence.
Closed Thread