UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Clubs, Groups and Societies

Notices

Clubs, Groups and Societies For discussions about various clubs, groups and societies relating to our hobbies, such as the BVWS (incl RetroTechUK), BATC, RSGB, APTS, CLPGS, THG, TCC, BECG, MCR21 etc. This is NOT an official forum for any of these organisations.

Closed Thread

Old 30th Aug 2022, 2:04 pm   #1
GrimJosef
Dekatron

Default Tonight 30th Aug 2022 - Prom celebrating 100 years of BBC radio

Very short notice, for which I apologise, but tonight's prom concert (live at 20:00 on Radio 3, televised at 20:00 on BBC Four on Friday) will include This New Noise - a piece specially commissioned to mark 100 years of BBC radio https://www.bbc.co.uk/events/e69z3d.

The composers and performers are Public Service Broadcasting who have been doing this kind of thing for a while now. They're very capable musicians and I have to say, having seen their The Race To Space piece live, they can put on a very entertaining show.

Cheers,

GJ

(Mods: while I have no involvement with this concert whatsoever, if advertising broadcast shows is beyond the remit of this sub-forum then please just delete this.)
Old 30th Aug 2022, 9:29 pm   #2
cliff2903
Pentode

Default Re: Tonight 30th Aug 2022 - Prom celebrating 100 years of BBC radio

I will be glued to BBC4 on Friday, I've seen this band a few times and they are excellent.

https://youtu.be/1-kkivsjbE0

(Please delete if not allowed)
Old 3rd Sep 2022, 2:54 pm   #3
Welsh Anorak
Dekatron

We watched/listened to it last night and really enjoyed it. I've always liked PSB since Inform-Educate-Entertain came out. Never seen them live, unfortunately, but I've heard they put on a grest show.

Clearly great believers in the BBC - well, I suppose there's a clue in their name!

Nice to see an old wireless being brought on by two be-capped gentlemen in brown overalls to an enthusiastic round of applause.
Old 3rd Sep 2022, 6:35 pm   #4
Valvepower
Octode

Hi,

I know J. Willgoose, and he is real Gentleman and his passion for Wireless and the BBC is genuine and heartfelt... J. is not unfamiliar to the world of Broadcast

I met J. when PSB had just released the Spitfire 12” single and The War Room LP on Bandcamp as I was looking for some well recorded ‘modern’ vinyl to work on the design of a Phono amplifier.

It transpired J's first 'proper' guitar amplifier was a Roost 'Session master' combo, which I could have built or tested when I was working at Roost in the 1970’s. J. still has the amplifier, although it’s now strictly for studio use because of it advancing years.

Wrigglesworth is one cracking drummer…

Terry
Old 4th Sep 2022, 5:23 pm   #5
dave walsh
Dekatron

Location: Ramsbottom (Nr Bury) Lancs or Bexhill (Nr Hastings) Sussex.

There's another thread from Friday night "Proms PSB Mystery" but it's ended up parked at the very end of the first sticky [not anachronisms] in the General Vintage Section somehow. I think the Mods are sorting it. Good to here comments about the event, as well as the RAP Radio ID!

Dave W
Old 6th Sep 2022, 1:04 am   #6
dave walsh
Dekatron

Location: Ramsbottom (Nr Bury) Lancs or Bexhill (Nr Hastings) Sussex.

There is a very good review of this exceptional PSB Radio Proms event "This New Night" [which was actually on the 2nd of September] by Terry Marland. Coincidentally he's from ROCK AT NIGHT [Wales]. The Times also covered it with what seems to be contrasting views but it's hard to tell as they have a pop up asking for money in order to to continue. The Times.. I ask you which is a National Icon [like the BBC] not some fly by night digital channel or tabloid rubbish. Mind you, they also got it all wrong when Dylan went electric at Royal Albert Hall in the sixties, describing the loudness and the drummer with his "awful fortissimo on the beat" You could guess the accent of the reviewer!

Dave W

Last edited by dave walsh; 6th Sep 2022 at 1:22 am.
Closed Thread