UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Components and Circuits

Notices

Components and Circuits For discussions about component types, alternatives and availability, circuit configurations and modifications etc. Discussions here should be of a general nature and not about specific sets.

Closed Thread

Old 27th Nov 2022, 2:41 pm   #21
GrimJosef
Dekatron

Default Re: Output transformer HT connection.

A sort-of hybrid solution if you want to stick to a smaller valve rectifier is to generate the output valves' anode HT using solid-state rectification but everything else, including their screen grid HT, using a valve rectifier. The slow warm-up of the valve rectifier can protect the output valves' cathodes from a high electric field at switch-on via the screening action of the screen grids. The valves do need to be able to survive a large anode to screen voltage briefly though. And you do need two HT filters, of course.

Cheers,

GJ
Old 27th Nov 2022, 3:59 pm   #22
Diabolical Artificer
Dekatron

Thanks again all. I'll do some experiments at some point but the consensus seems to be connect the OPT CT after the choke.

Andy.
Old 27th Nov 2022, 10:08 pm   #23
joebog1
Banned

Using valve rectifiers today is a bit of a problem unless you already have decent ones available.
Modern rectifiers are not as reliable as the genuine article. I used buy up every valve rect that I could find providing it was NIB. VERY hard to find these days and for those that are out there, some are as expensive as a very good quality 50 watt output transformer.
So, me, the audiophool purist has changed over to sand rectifiers. Fast recovery in large currents are cheap and plentiful. I still use capacitors across them though just to make sure.
If you have "delicate " output valves a soft start and HT delay are very easy and cheap to organise.

Just my two bobs worth.

Joe
Closed Thread