UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > General Vintage Technology > Success Stories

Notices

Success Stories If you have successfully repaired or restored a piece of equipment, why not write up what you did and post details here. Particularly if it was interesting, unusual or challenging. PLEASE DO NOT POST REQUESTS FOR HELP HERE!

Closed Thread

Old 1st Sep 2022, 10:39 am   #1
60 oldjohn
Dekatron

Default Roberts, RT1

I switched the set on after a few years of inactivity and was greeted with a loud hiss/ buzzing sound not a station heard. Then I realised the volume control was set low. When I raised the volume, stations could be heard above the constant level of noise.

So the fault must be after the volume control, possibly a noisy transistor or resistor. The driver transistor was an OC71 which are not beyond suspicion at 64 years old. And the output are a pair of OC72. I sprayed the OC71 with freezer spray and the level of noise dropped a bit. Before I remove it I put my signal tracer on B then E of the OC71 Driver clear, no noise, then on to pin C and was "rewarded" with a loud noise. I replaced it with a NOS OC71, which worked well, but I am aware these glass transistors can fail by going noisy. It tested as 2 Diodes.

John.