UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players

Notices

Vintage Tape (Audio), Cassette, Wire and Magnetic Disc Recorders and Players Open-reel tape recorders, cassette recorders, 8-track players etc.

Closed Thread

Old 13th Sep 2019, 3:09 pm   #1
CHRIS_F
Tetrode

Default Lubricate Capstan

Hi Guys,

I’ve had to remove the capstan wheels on my boom box , the old belts are just black rubber mush, should I lubricate the capstan shaft on re fitting? If so what should I use, I know a lot of people have very different ideas what to use but I have some power steering oils, Clipper shaver oil 2 stroke oil and some motor oil, will any of these be any good?

Thanks,
Chris.
Old 13th Sep 2019, 10:44 pm   #2
emeritus
Dekatron

Default Re: Lubricate Capstan

The specified lubricant for bearings in the Philips service manual for my 1970's Philips cassette deck is W 20-50 engine oil.
Old 14th Sep 2019, 10:46 am   #3
crackle
Rest in Peace

I would very sparingly use a light sewing machine oil which will absorb into the sintered bearing nicely.
Mike
Old 14th Sep 2019, 5:49 pm   #4
ben
Dekatron

There is often a thin plastic washer or c-clip that fits on the capstan on the heads/spool side. This is important as it can stop oil creeping up and getting onto the tape or pinch roller.

On that note, be sure to wipe the capstan shaft with alcohol tissue before attempting to try a tape!
Old 14th Sep 2019, 9:24 pm   #5
CHRIS_F
Tetrode

Thanks guys, I actually lost one of those washers, took me ages to find it I thought it had pinged off my tweezers but it actually just dropped down into the grease on the button assembly, but all sorted now apart from the clutch assembly keeps popping off :-(
Closed Thread