UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 25th Apr 2017, 5:18 pm   #1
Timvintage
Pentode

Default Distortion on Grundig Concert Boy

Hi everyone, I have a Grundig concert boy, which has a lovely tone, however, the sound starts to distort, particularly the base, once you start to turn the volume up past a low level. I read somewhere on the forum that this problem can be sorted by putting some felt somewhere inside the case, can anyone give some more information on this please? I'm wondering exactly where to put the felt? Any help would be very much appreciated, the more info the better, thank you very much, Tim
Old 25th Apr 2017, 6:02 pm   #2
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

Default Re: Distortion on Grundig Concert Boy

Are you trying to describe an acoustic resonance or electronic distortion? These should not need any acoustic treatment using felt and I suspect that the output transistor voltages need testing. When you say "base", I assume you mean Bass not the bottom of the cabinet?
Old 25th Apr 2017, 10:09 pm   #3
Mike Noble
Pentode

Default Re: Distortion on Grundig Concert Boy

I have a Concert Boy which started to distort as the volume was increased and was cured by replacing the bridge rectifier. In fact the rectifier must have been faulty for a while to a lesser degree as after changing the rectifier I needed to reduce the Bass setting.
Closed Thread