UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc)

Notices

Vintage Audio (record players, hi-fi etc) Amplifiers, speakers, gramophones and other audio equipment.

Closed Thread

Old 12th Oct 2014, 7:25 am   #1
Zouzounis
Triode

Default HMV 2002 volume problems

I have a recent problem with my record player.
The make and model is HMV 2002.
The volume is nice and loud when it first warms up, but then after a few more minutes the volume fades and the only way to hear the music is to turn the volume DOWN. Was wondering if this needs the valves replaced?
I doubt it to be the cartridge as it is only a couple of years old.
Old 12th Oct 2014, 12:37 pm   #2
'LIVEWIRE?'
Rest in Peace

Default Re: HMV 2002 volume problems

If the sound fades after a couple of minutes, I would have thought you'd need to turn the volume control up not down. The Cartridge may only be a couple of years old, but the player is far older. The problem is unlikely to be the tubes (valves). With exceptions, they seldom fail. It's more likely to be due to faulty capacitors, especially waxed paper types, which, if not replaced can cause serious trouble, such as damage to the output valve, output transformer, and even to the mains transformer (if one is present) due to excess current being drawn
Old 12th Oct 2014, 3:20 pm   #3
Peter.N.
Dekatron

I would agree. The coupling capacitor to the grid of the output valve is probably leaky upsetting the bias and causing the valve to overheat.

Peter
Old 12th Oct 2014, 3:55 pm   #4
Herald1360
Dekatron

It won't be the coupling cap- there isn't one. It's a single UL84 amp job. It might be screen or cathode decouplers going down or just a tired rectifier.

I suspect some voltage readings when cold and warm for the UL84 would be informative if ZZ is familiar with safety when working on live chassis equipment.
.........O..Chris....O
Old 13th Oct 2014, 3:45 am   #5
Zouzounis
Triode

And nothing happens when I turn the volume up. There is no sound. If I turn the volume down eventually I do get sound coming from the speakers.

Thanks for the input guys. I think I'll have a professional look at it.
Old 13th Oct 2014, 11:46 am   #6
Peter.N.
Dekatron

Pardon my ignorance.

Peter
Closed Thread