UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 25th Jul 2005, 4:37 pm   #1
Pete_kaye
Octode

Default Another DAC90A

I have what appears to be an excellent white version It is extremely good at picking up all stations on LW and Mw >trouble is ..it seems too loud to me .The top gets warmer than I would expect although there is no damage to thge cabinet.When turned up to half vol it is fine but then it seems to be straining itself and the speakerand starts to distort with the panel bulbs dimming and flickering.I have put new 6V ,0.1 A bulbs in and basically cleaned it and removed the original plug and hardwired a mains lead to the volume control.Yes the dropper resistor is set to 240 V.Is the heater current too high ?I cannot measure it with a DC meter only.Any thoughts?
Old 25th Jul 2005, 5:30 pm   #2
Nickthedentist
Dekatron

Default Re: Another DAC90A

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete_kaye
Is the heater current too high ?I cannot measure it with a DC meter only.
Even with the cheapest multimeter, you should be able to measure the AC voltage across one section of the dropper, and then use Ohms law to calculate the current flowing.

If the current is right, then maybe the lack of power reserve might be due to the smoothing electrolytics becoming low in value.

Don't forget that these run pretty hot at the best of times.

Nick.
Old 25th Jul 2005, 5:33 pm   #3
Sideband
Dekatron

The scale lamps should be 3.5v at .15amp. As the lamps are in the neutral return lead, they must be rated correctly for correct operation of the set.

The sets do run hot but it would be advisable to, at the very least, change the coupling capacitor to the grid of the UL41 output valve. Very common for this to be leaky and will cause the output valve to draw excessive current, get hotter and give distorted sound. UL41s are getting expensive and more difficult to find so preserving good originals or ensuring that new ones are not overrun is even more important. The mains suppressor capacitor should be changed for safety. For reliable operation, all the old 'waxies' should be changed and you will have a good, dependable radio.

I repaired one of these recently and did not have any problems with flickering lights so check the points mentioned above.

Rich.

You beat me to it Nick! Good point about the smoothing cap...I forgot to mention it!! Also worth checking the HT in case it is low. Should be about 205v on the cathode of the rectifier.

Last edited by Sideband; 25th Jul 2005 at 5:40 pm.
Old 8th Aug 2005, 4:46 pm   #4
Pete_kaye
Octode

Thanks for the advice .I have used the ideas and checked the current through the dropper resistor .It starts at .11A then quickly settles down to .099A (bulbs go bright,dim ,bright)and is unaffected by volume setting.I had already replaced the capacitor suggested in a previous post but it made no difference .I have since noticed that the distortion only occurs on a loud station and the flickering too.If I tune off then there is no effect .I am coming to the conclusion that the problem is mechanical and maybe the bulbs /speaker are loose. I will check it out soon.
Old 8th Aug 2005, 7:29 pm   #5
Aerodyne
Octode

The excellent replies above should be heeded: this doesn't sound like a mechanical fault, rather one of the HT voltage fluctuating probably due to a low emission rectifier or low capacitance smoothing and reservoir caps. The output valve itself might just be the culprit, but I doubt it very much - I'd expect low volume with distortion when vol control is advanced, in that case.
-Tony
Old 18th Aug 2005, 2:56 pm   #6
Pete_kaye
Octode

Latest news is that the original problem has gone after all wax caps replaced.Only remaining problem is now the bulbs are not bright enough even though new and 6v ,0.1A .I have measured res across shunt resistor and reading is 75R(same as its nominal reading) and voltage drop is 3V suggesting
0.04A through it(using cheap multimeteron 200AC ) which I think about right,but surely resistance of the shunt and 2 bulbs in parallel should be about 10 R,each bulb is 6R. I'm confused!! Could it be poor joints ? Shorting one bulb makes the other one come on bright
Old 18th Aug 2005, 3:12 pm   #7
G0PKH - Pete
Retired Dormant Member

Hi Pete.

As Richard said earlier in the thread.

Quote:
The scale lamps should be 3.5v at .15amp. As the lamps are in the neutral return lead, they must be rated correctly for correct operation of the set.
I would suggest you change them from the 6v .1 A you appear to be using.

Pete
Old 1st Sep 2005, 1:09 pm   #8
Pete_kaye
Octode

I have now tried the suggested bulbs(3.5 v,0.15A) which I picked up very cheaply (NOS)and can get more if anyone wants some . Unfortunately ,it made the bulbs even dimmer , as I expected. These have a resistance of 2.5 R while the originals were 5R(rated as 6.3V,0.1A).It seems to me that the current can't get through.I have measured the voltage as stated earlier and calculations don't make sense giving a current of 0.6A.I have tested all bulbs on a separate power supply at the voltages marked and they are fine.I am using a Maplin's cheap multimeter .Could this be the problem ? Incidentally I have used these same 6V bulbs in another Dac90A and they were fine .
Old 1st Sep 2005, 1:28 pm   #9
ppppenguin
Retired Dormant Member

When measuring bulb resistance please remember that it can be considerably lower when cold (ie with a multimeter) than when hot (ie running normally). This also applies to ordinary mains voltage bulbs.
Old 1st Sep 2005, 1:45 pm   #10
Kat Manton
Retired Dormant Member

Best bet is to calculate the resistance from the bulb rating:

Taking your 6.3V 0.1A bulbs as an example, the resistance when running at their rated current is 6.3 / 0.1 = 63R ( R = V/I )

At voltages/currents other than that marked on the bulb this will vary; if you've got two meters available (or a variable PSU with a meter on and a multimeter, etc) you can crank up the voltage from zero to the rated maximum, measure current and plot a graph to determine the charateristics of the bulb.

Kat.
Closed Thread