UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Old 12th Feb 2007, 3:13 pm   #21
G8DLG
Retired Dormant Member

Default Re: Bbc Radio 4 Distortion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Cooper View Post
Believe me, it isn't all beer and skittles at DEI. I often wonder that it sounds as good as it does... But then, if you're troubled by minor shortcomings of this nature, then you shouldn't be listening to LW/MW. It has never been sold as a quality service.
Very interesting stuff! If it has never been sold as a quality service,why has the audio quality always been good?
Here, to listen to BBC R4 means LW,cant get the MW transmissions,the other route is with VHF,but this distortion is also here as well,although it is listenable ( most times).
Theres not a lot of any use to listen to these days on our vintage sets,many will not have VHF either.
The R4 problem seems only with speech,strangely, music comes over as very good,with crystal clear high notes,(as far as the receiver's bandwidth will allow) so it would appear not to be a transmitter fault.It is disgusting that BBC complaints will not even answer emails sent regarding this problem,any replies which I did get some time ago gave instructions not to use LW!
G8DLG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th Feb 2007, 3:30 pm   #22
Steve_P
Dekatron

The complaints dept. is probably staffed by underlings with the instruction to 'tell them all to go away' etc. - they often are. But an instruction not to use Long Wave... that's a bit much!

Ray - I know what you mean mate. Lots of people from the BBC Transmitter Dept - I was one myself but was ill and left pretty soon - feel the same way. And now I wonder about the new intake!

I suggested that a Reserve Aerial for Droitwich was put up when I was there! It was a pity they knocked Dodford down - would have done there if not at Daventry.

I'd tend to Write (The old way!) to somebody very high up. The chances are that they wouldn't know about such instructions as the ones you were given. If I was such a person I would be horrified! And I'd look into the Sibilance too. I am pretty sure there's a fault that nobody can find.

Another letter - just a matter of finding the right person...

Cheers,

Steve P
Old 12th Feb 2007, 4:02 pm   #23
mickjjo
Rest in Peace

http://tx.mb21.co.uk/gallery/droitwich/index.asp

It must be all those sheep grazing around the masts that give Radio 4 that "woolly" sound.... . Sorry! .

Regards, Mick.
mickjjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th Feb 2007, 5:55 pm   #24
evingar
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve_P View Post
But an instruction not to use Long Wave... that's a bit much!
Quite !
Not everyone can get the VHF service, I can't really - very hissy and distorted

The reason the LW is service is continued is probabbly becuase of its excellent coverage - especially out to sea !
Old 12th Feb 2007, 6:23 pm   #25
HMV 1120
Hexode

I think there would be a few groans if they discontinued the shipping forecast!
Then again, marine VHF seems to be quieter - more and more are using their mobile phone! what with satelight and digital, It wouldn't surprise me if we have to fight for the LW service in the future... just think of the maintenance costs for those antenna's!
Old 12th Feb 2007, 6:38 pm   #26
ppppenguin
Retired Dormant Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by evingar View Post
The reason the LW is service is continued is probabbly becuase of its excellent coverage - especially out to sea !
Isn't it also meant to be the the last resort service in case of nuclear war or other huge disaster? I don't think we'd mind the distortion then, it would just be fortunate for all 12 of us surviving population of the UK to be able to hear an immaculate BBC accent intoning the news.

LW reception is pretty poor on all the sets I regularly use so it's VHF for me. My car radio is awful on LW and not much better on MW.
ppppenguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th Feb 2007, 8:33 pm   #27
Steve_P
Dekatron

There are 2 faults here me thinks. First, the Radio 4 sssssibilance, which appears to be a problem at Broadcasting House. Secondly, the Antenna at Droitwich.

The first one to solve is the Radio 4 Sibilance problem. Letter going off soon there - will keep everyone posted.

Funny you should mention Nuclear War, Jeffrey. When I was at Droitwich, a complete underground living area was built, and even the food rations were there. And the tapes were all ready to go - cases locked but everything was there. 'When you hear the Air Attack warning....'

It was a bit creepy at first. Thing is, after the bomb had dropped, the aerials would be gone....

Right - lets get back onto the topic in question before the topic gets closed....

Cheers,

Steve P
Old 12th Feb 2007, 9:37 pm   #28
Skywave
Rest in Peace

Arrow Re: Bbc Radio 4 Distortion

Quote:
Castle Crown Comms or whatever you are called now
Used to be called Crown Castle. Sites now owned by National Grid Wireless.

Al / Skywave.
Skywave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th Feb 2007, 8:29 pm   #29
G8DLG
Retired Dormant Member

Quote:
Letter going off soon there - will keep everyone posted
Steve, Do you have the address that can be displayed here,since I would also like to send them a letter,and I am sure others would also do the same.The more complaints they get the more likely to get this VERY TECHNICAL? problem sorted.
It must be a bit embarrassing for the BBC when you think of Droitwich, the one and only national and emergency transmitter for GB
G8DLG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th Mar 2007, 10:41 pm   #30
Hybrid tellies
Nonode

Location: 1966-1976 Coverack in Cornwall and Helston Cornwall. 1976-present Bristol/Bath area.

I was listening to an interesting programme on Radio 4 earliar today all about Yelow Russians and the shame of post war Norway. The audio quality from the Droitwich transmitter on 198Khz was up to the usual standard ie marred by lots of sibilants when just before the midday shipping forcast there was a few complete breaks in transmission. When it came back up the audio quality was even worse .
I wonder if the BBC has given up on this once important transmission. I suppose in this age of all things digital it is not surprising that those at the beeb are turning their back on these analogue dinasoars. So it is probably no point in complaining to them even if anyone knew how to contact them anymore.
Old 10th Mar 2007, 10:52 pm   #31
Dickie
Octode

I was listening to the same programme on R4 but on VHF (from Wrotham) and it had the same sibilance problem. Which all points to a Broadcasting House issue.

Richard, BVWS member
Dickie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd Aug 2012, 1:16 pm   #32
Heatercathodeshort
Dekatron

Default Radio 4 LW or other suspected transmitter issues.

Is Radio 4 Long wave off air? I cannot pick anything other than a very weak signal. John
Heatercathodeshort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd Aug 2012, 1:26 pm   #33
Darren-UK
Retired Dormant Member

Default Re: No Radio 4 Long wave?

http://www.radioandtvhelp.co.uk/temp...tcode=SW1A+1AA Scroll down for Droitwich. Note the site requires entry of a Postcode if you wish to check for problems other than with BBC R4 LW from Droitwich.

Problems can be reported here:-

https://faq.external.bbc.co.uk/templ...terferencePage
Darren-UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th Jul 2013, 8:00 pm   #34
Paul Stenning
Administrator

Default Re: Radio 4 LW or other suspected transmitter issues.

For the MSF time signal outages please see http://www.npl.co.uk/science-technol...me/msf-outages

Paul Stenning
Forum Admin/Owner and BVWS Webmaster
Paul Stenning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th Nov 2013, 10:08 am   #35
PaulR
Dekatron

Default R4 198 kHz. Sibilance back?

I switched on my bedside radio last night and the sibilance seems to be back on 198. Has anyone else noticed this?
PaulR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th Nov 2013, 2:47 pm   #36
electrogram
Heptode

Default Re: R4 198 Sibilance back?

Yes, I thought there was a slight deterioration 3/4 weeks ago but on switching on at about 6.00pm yesterday it was obviously considerably worse still. What is going on ?
electrogram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th Nov 2013, 2:53 pm   #37

Yup, they're back...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	198khz 9-11-2013.jpg
Views:	255
Size:	127.0 KB
ID:	85885  
Old 9th Nov 2013, 11:25 pm   #38
Aub
Nonode

Yes, I noticed it yesterday. Not sure if it was my ears, but it didn't seem quite as bad as before, but still noticeable.

Cheers

Aub
Old 8th Jan 2014, 7:00 pm   #39
Paul Stenning
Administrator

Default Re: Radio 4 LW or other suspected transmitter issues.

A good place to discuss technical issues with radio transmissions etc is this section at Digital Spy.

Paul Stenning
Forum Admin/Owner and BVWS Webmaster
Paul Stenning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th Jan 2014, 5:11 pm   #40
Andrew2
Nonode

Very bad last night and today, a very noticeable lack of top and splashy esses. By comparison the French stations on LW sound almost like HiFi! Surely it can't be hard....
I'd attach a clip (if that's possible), but it probably wouldn't be allowed.