UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Radio (domestic)

Notices

Vintage Radio (domestic) Domestic vintage radio (wireless) receivers only.

Closed Thread

Old 27th May 2016, 12:47 pm   #161
DonaldStott
Octode

Default Re: Philips B3G63A

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwdrive View Post
I'm looking at a non Trader manual, volume inner, tone outer, on/off by a switch on the main push switch bank and not combined with the volume control as shown in the Trader sheet.
That's exactly like mine - especially the on/off switch functionality.

Any links to the non Trader manual?
Old 27th May 2016, 12:55 pm   #162
ms660
Dekatron

The manual for your radio is listed in the instant download section of this forum, I'm not sure whether it's a Trader sheet or other type.

So far as I understand it posting links to a manual that's available via the forums download service is in breach of forum rules, that's why I didn't post the link to the one I was looking at.

I think posting a link via PM might ok, I'm not absolutely sure though, I'll post the link to you via a PM, if I get rapped on the knuckles then I'll take that as a no no for the future.

I'll PM you with the link shortly.

Lawrence.
Old 27th May 2016, 3:33 pm   #163
AC/HL
Dekatron

Take your pick!
http://www.service-data.com/section.php/6031/1/b3g63a
Old 26th Jul 2016, 10:13 am   #164
brian_mk
Tetrode

I have a Technics FM tuner from the 70s/80s connected into my HiFi system.

I live in Milton Keynes, so I used to get analogue TV + FM radio through an underground coax cable.
After the analogue TV switch off, the cable system was ripped out to recover the copper. I installed a digital TV aerial in the loft, which works fine.
However I also lost my FM radio signal.

There is not enough room in the loft to install a VHF Yagi array and I didn't fancy climbing a ladder to fix an external aerial to the gable end of the house.
So I decided to try a simple FM dipole based on the article here:-
http://www.northcountryradio.com/Articles/fmdip.htm

It seemed to work reasonably well when I tested it in the living room connected to the tuner with about 3m of 75 Ohm coax.

To install it in the loft meant running about 12->15m of coax up the outside wall.
I mounted the dipole high up in the loft, just below the ridge.

I found the signal level was actually worse than when it was located downstairs.

I was also surprised to find the signal level was higher when I disconnected the dipole leaving just the 15m coax!

By repositioning the dipole lower down in the loft below the rafters, I managed to get about the same signal level as I had downstairs.

I know that installing an aerial in a loft is not ideal, but I did expect a higher signal compared with downstairs even when taking into account cable loss.

Can anyone explain why I get a reasonable signal from just the feeder coax with the dipole disconnected?

I believe 15m of RG6 coax has a loss of about 1dB at 100 MHz.

I also tried adding a balun, made by coiling a few turns of the feeder cable close to the dipole. It made little difference.
Old 26th Jul 2016, 11:43 am   #165
SteveCG
Nonode

brian_mk,

I'd be inclined to suspect your coax or the connection from your coax to your tuner. Any decent coax should be a very good shield to incoming signals. But not all coaxes are decent !

First things first - are you sure you have the tuner connections as intended? Quite a few tuners had provision for 75 Ohm unbalanced (for use with coax cable connected aerials) and also for 300 Ohm balanced (twin feeder type aerials). Can you let us know what your tuner has please?
Old 21st Aug 2016, 2:40 pm   #166
DonaldStott
Octode

Where can I buy some Lada Cream (or similar) touch up paint for those areas on the front of the cabinet that need some attention?

Tried Humbrol Enamel paints but the shade of cream is either too light or too green!
Old 21st Aug 2016, 2:52 pm   #167
Paul Stenning
Administrator

Halfords.

Paul Stenning
Forum Admin/Owner and BVWS Webmaster
Old 21st Aug 2016, 3:06 pm   #168
DonaldStott
Octode

Thanks Paul - I've already looked at their Halfords Lada Cream Car Spray Paint 300ml and was hoping I could find a scratch/chip repair product?

300ml of spray paint is overkill for what I need but will maybe just have to do - it won't break the Bank at £6.99
Old 1st Sep 2016, 1:19 pm   #169
DonaldStott
Octode

I eventually just bought the Lada Cream from Halfords and spay painted the relevant sections on the front panel of the set, with some judicious and extensive use of masking tape. Looking really good now - pictures later.

Apologies but all the component parts of the Radio have been at the back of a cupboard for a few months and I'm finally freeing up some time to complete the final re-assembly - hurrah you all cheer, at last!

In an attempt to reduce the "brightness" in the Tone Control I connected a 0.001uF capacitor across C61 on the Trader sheet – this had a marginal effect. The Tone Control revolves about 300 degrees in total and I still have the situation where I only have to turn the Tone Control about 20-30 degrees to “normalise” the sound – the other 270-280 degrees are too harsh and brittle?

Is this the best I can expect or is there anything else I can try – I can live with it but feel I can perhaps give this old set one last push?
Old 1st Sep 2016, 1:26 pm   #170
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

The 0.001 mf is a bit low in value to have much effect. Try a 0.005mf or experiment with values in between. Edward
Old 1st Sep 2016, 5:31 pm   #171
DonaldStott
Octode

Thanks Edward - what Voltage and Capacitor type should I be looking for?
Old 3rd Sep 2016, 11:42 am   #172
DonaldStott
Octode

Just ordered up some 630v, 0.005uF Capacitors from my trusty source at Cricklewood Electronics.

Connected one across C61 on the Tone Control and Wow! what a difference that made.

Tone is now "normalised" about half way round and overall sound is warmer and less sibilant!

Big thanks to Edward for that advice - perhaps someone can explain what fitting a higher value capacitor has actually done to achieve this result.
Old 3rd Sep 2016, 2:27 pm   #173
ms660
Dekatron

A simplified explanation ignoring the resistance and impedance of a capacitor:

Capacitors have reactance (X) given in ohms, it's called capacitive reactance (Xc)

The value of Xc (in ohms) decreases as the frequency is increased.

You connected the capacitor across the tone control (500k) That 0.005uf capacitor has a reactance of approx 6.3kohms at 5kHz, at 8kHz it's reactance has decreased to approx 4kohms and so on.

In effect the tone controls high resistance has been shunted by a comparatively low value reactance for the frequencies concerned.

Hope this helps.

Lawrence.
Old 3rd Sep 2016, 6:26 pm   #174
DonaldStott
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by pwdrive View Post
Capacitors have reactance (X) given in ohms, it's called capacitive reactance (Xc)

The value of Xc (in ohms) decreases as the frequency is increased.
Thanks Lawrence for the explanation - the fog has lifted and it all makes perfect sense.
Old 4th Sep 2016, 2:21 pm   #175
DonaldStott
Octode

Finished ... at last !!!!!!!

Some photos below and one from a different angle just to show off the restored Bakelite case.

Still got a slight background hum but I'll sort that out later - some earthing/dipole issue?

As usual I've got two bits left over - a small metal plate with a screw that resembles those used for attaching the speaker baffle board and a metal tube with a slit that would fit over a valve, but why? Anyone got any ideas??
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20160905_125729.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	119.0 KB
ID:	129607   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20160905_124541.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	97.8 KB
ID:	129608   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20160905_125812.jpg
Views:	101
Size:	84.3 KB
ID:	129609   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20160905_131832.jpg
Views:	126
Size:	28.8 KB
ID:	129610  
Old 4th Sep 2016, 2:46 pm   #176
ms660
Dekatron

According to the parts list in the book o'words there's a screen for V2, the valve socket part numbers for V1 & V2 are the same but are different to the other valve sockets so with luck V2 valve socket is shrouded to take the screen.

Lawrence.
Old 4th Sep 2016, 8:21 pm   #177
DonaldStott
Octode

Thanks again Lawrence - you're becoming my go to guy for any questions!

What is the "book o'words" of which you speak - I've got Trader Service Sheet 1374 and the document in the PM you sent me earlier, but can't find any reference to this??

Anyway I note your helpful advice on the shroud/screen for V2 but I'm a bit concerned with excessive heat build up by putting a metal tube around a valve?
Old 4th Sep 2016, 9:53 pm   #178
ms660
Dekatron

It's in the parts list under "Valveholders, etc."

Lawrence.
Old 4th Sep 2016, 10:16 pm   #179
Edward Huggins
Dekatron

Noting the photos posted earlier under #175, I can see a new 6.5" 8 ohm (or 4 ohm?) replacement speaker. I think the original would have been a 7" (typically Philips!) 5 ohm unit. Edward
Old 4th Sep 2016, 10:53 pm   #180
DonaldStott
Octode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edward Huggins View Post
Noting the photos posted earlier under #175, I can see a new 6.5" 8 ohm (or 4 ohm?) replacement speaker. I think the original would have been a 7" (typically Philips!) 5 ohm unit. Edward
See #154 above.
Closed Thread