UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment

Notices

Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment For discussions about vintage test gear and workshop equipment such as coil winders.

Closed Thread

Old 14th Jun 2019, 12:19 pm   #1
ColinTheAmpMan1
Octode

Default Vici VC480C+ milliohm-meter

Does anyone have any knowledge of these milliohm-meters? They cost somewhere around £60 from various sources (generally Hong Kong), have a low range of 20 milliohms, 3 1/2 digit display and Kelvin connections. To me they look rather like they have come from the same manufacturer as the Victor VC60B+ digital insulation tester. I have a Victor VC60B+ and find it very useful and a well-made piece of kit.

I notice that the price of many milliohm-meters is pretty high and so I am wondering if this is a bargain or not.

Any ideas?

Colin.
Old 23rd Jun 2019, 6:53 pm   #2
ColinTheAmpMan1
Octode

Default Re: Vici Vc480c+ milliohm-meter

I'm surprised that no-one has purchased one of these yet.
Colin.
Old 24th Jun 2019, 1:39 pm   #3
ekjdm14
Banned

Default Re: Vici Vc480c+ milliohm-meter

Not got any experience of the meter in question, but I do own a Vici VC97+ DMM which I find very good indeed for the price point. Prior to this one, purchased about 4 years ago, I had it's predecessor the "Vichy" VC97 & only replaced it due to losing the thing!

As long as you go in eyes-open and don't believe some of the marketing spiel/blatant lies (I.E. my meter is marked "CAT II/1000V" & the leads stamped "CAT III/1000V"), they seem to make decent quality equipment for a good price.

Do be aware though that Chinese manufacturers are copying the copycats, in that very similarly named companies are marketing similar looking products with widely varying quality, I have a "Hulko" 936D soldering station that's really nicely made & recently ended up with a replacement/spare "Hykko" iron that looked almost home-made & doesn't work!. The one spelled Vici is OK in my book though.
Old 13th Jul 2019, 5:46 pm   #4
ColinTheAmpMan1
Octode

Default Re: Vici VC480C+ milliohm-meter

Well, I bought one of these and it arrived a couple of days ago. I will give some more observations as and when I gain more experience of it.

It uses Kelvin probes and is powered by six AA batteries (supplied). One odd thing is that the battery-compartment could house eight batteries, but there are no contacts for the other two. Mine came with a Chinese operation manual, which was about as much use as an ashtray on a motorbike, but "Chinglish" manuals are available on the web.
Its ranges are 20 mOhm, 200 mOhm, 2 Ohm, 20 Ohm 200 Ohm and 2 kOhm. Accuracy on all the ranges is stated to be +/- 0.5% and resolution to be 0.01 mOhm on the 20 mOhm range, 0.1 mOhm on 200 mOhm, 1 mOhm on 2 Ohm, 10 mOhm on 20 Ohm, 100 mOhm on 200 Ohm range and 1 Ohm on 2 kOhm range. The accuracy of 0.5% could be better, but I'm sure there would be a significant cost consideration. There is a "HOLD" button which is useful with dodgy connections and a switchable (on/off) backlight. It is perhaps a shame that the "Zero Adj." pot is only a one-turn type and that it is virtually in the same plane as the front-panel, but what do you expect for £60.99?

The manual suggests that "it is an ideal instrument to be used for contact resistance measurements of power resistor, motor coils, transformers, PCB boards, cables, antenna, communication equipments, electric machines, electrical facilities, etc.". Time will tell.

Colin.
Closed Thread