UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment

Notices

Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment For discussions about vintage test gear and workshop equipment such as coil winders.

Closed Thread

Old 27th Jun 2020, 2:05 pm   #1
Alf Fisher
Hexode

Default Mullard HSVT Problem

All,
Since my previous post on this on 7 May last year, I have now isolated and removed the offending contact in the fixed matrix. You can see where the bakelite has charred through where it passes through the metal chassis plate.

Has anyone seen this before and found a solution. I thought it could be something that could be made by someone who was skilled with a 3D printer.

Has anyone got a donor HSVT that could provide a replacement?

Alf
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	HSVT Fixed Matrix Contact.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	38.2 KB
ID:	209576  
Old 27th Jun 2020, 5:04 pm   #2
Electronpusher0
Nonode

Default Re: Mullard HSVT Problem

Take a look at switch J 10 (see the card layout attached).
I spent a lot of time tracing the function of each switch in the matrix. (Excel sheet attached) and could not find a function for J10.
J 1 to 9 select heater secondary tappings while K 1 to 8 select the heater primary tappings.

if it really is spare you could move it.

Peter
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Card Plan.pdf (335.2 KB, 51 views)
File Type: xlsx MHSVT calcs.xlsx (17.8 KB, 47 views)
Old 27th Jun 2020, 7:56 pm   #3
Alf Fisher
Hexode

Hello Peter,

Thank you for your suggestion.
After more research and continuity checking, I found some connections on the drawing are missing - notably that of J10. J10 fixed contact is ground and J10 on the moving gate is connected to I1 through to I9 which is the rail that connects to different value resistors to get various grid bias voltages. So I reckon that J10 has the function of grounding the grid bias line when zero volts bias is required so you can now add that into your table of the contact functions. I did think of going through EVERY card to find those that used J10 but thought it would take far too long so I binned that idea!
I see you have described all these voltages in your Excel doc which is absolutely fantastic.

I made a similar template to yours where I scanned a card and on the image, I copied the images of holes into every location and labelled them with their identifying letters/numbers and then printed and laminated it. Then laying any card on top enables you to read the positions through the holes the same as yours.

Alf

Last edited by Alf Fisher; 27th Jun 2020 at 8:01 pm. Reason: Th last paragraph needed rewriting.
Old 27th Jun 2020, 9:03 pm   #4
Electronpusher0
Nonode

Thanks Alf, I will add that to my Excel sheet.

Peter
Old 27th Jun 2020, 9:39 pm   #5
frankmcvey
Rest in Peace

Hi Alf,

A forum member, Ti Pwun, was offering a 3d printing service for items such as knobs and Hacker grills etc. I haven't seen him around for some time, but you could try messaging him. If he can help, he'll require the old one as a pattern.

Cheers,

Frank
Old 27th Jun 2020, 10:08 pm   #6
Freya
Octode

I found the exact same pin go in mine five years ago, it was in much worse condition than yours. A friend (now deceased) made a replacement on his lathe from PTFE bar.
Old 28th Jun 2020, 12:30 pm   #7
Alf Fisher
Hexode

Thanks for your replies guys and interesting to hear that you Stephen had the same problem. I thought more people would have had trouble given the numbers of HSVTs that are around in the hands of the likes of us.

I had a think which can be a dangerous thing! It doesn't need to be as complicated as the original as it is fixed. Its the moving gate ones that are spring loaded. The original bush has quite a wide square opening that narrows down to slot at the end which must be very difficult to do. A simple bush with something like a filed down 4BA round head screw would do the job.
I'll try Ti Pwun and see what he says.

Cheers,
Alf
Old 28th Jun 2020, 2:10 pm   #8
PJL
Dekatron

Yes, T10 in my calculator confirms it is used to set 0V on the grid.
Old 29th Jun 2020, 1:10 pm   #9
Alf Fisher
Hexode

Hi PJL,
I assume you mean J10.

Alf
Old 29th Jun 2020, 1:12 pm   #10
Alf Fisher
Hexode

Hi again P,

What is your calculator and how does it work.
Alf
Closed Thread