UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Telephony and Telecomms

Notices

Vintage Telephony and Telecomms Vintage Telephones, Telephony and Telecomms Equipment

Closed Thread

Old 18th Jun 2020, 9:11 pm   #1
Voxophone
Hexode

Default GPO Watch Receiver Identification?

Hi All,

I can anyone identify the watch receiver shown in the images below? It came attached to a GPO 332 CB I bought, and I'm having trouble discovering what number it is. The page covering watch receivers on britishtelephones.com is somewhat sparse: https://www.britishtelephones.com/menurecw.htm

The only identifying markings I can make out are:

- 'W-18 No1B 234' on each of the receiver coils.
- 'POA' and what appears to be the number '29' on the inside of the earpiece; the number being mirrored, presumably in error.
- The diaphragm is a No12.

It would be great to hear people's thoughts on what model this might be and its purpose.

Many thanks,

Liam
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Watch Receiver 1.jpg
Views:	200
Size:	85.8 KB
ID:	208838   Click image for larger version

Name:	Watch Receiver 2.jpg
Views:	201
Size:	168.0 KB
ID:	208839   Click image for larger version

Name:	Watch Receiver 3.jpg
Views:	203
Size:	154.2 KB
ID:	208840   Click image for larger version

Name:	Watch Receiver 4.jpg
Views:	205
Size:	164.2 KB
ID:	208841  
Old 19th Jun 2020, 2:04 pm   #2
Pellseinydd
Heptode

Default Re: GPO Watch Receiver Identification?

It is a 'Receiver, Watch 1B' later replaced by the Bakelite 'Receivers Watch No 6L...' which came in Black, Red, Green and Ivory.

The '234' indicates it was the first version, 'W-18' that they were made by 'Western Electric' in 1918.' It would have had a 'Diaphragm No 12' according to the GPO 'Vocabulary of Engineering Stores' from nearly 80 years ago. The earcap should be an 'Earpiece No 2' (similar to those fitted to Bell receivers on candlestick phones but without the 'groove') according to the 'Vocab of Stores' . Used with 'Cord Instrument 2/22A, Brown 33inch' - virtually the same as the receiver cord on a 'candlestick' Tele 2 or 150 which was a 'Cord Instrument 2/22B Brown 33 inch' (don't ask what the difference is - can't be much!).

According to 'Vocabulary of Stores' could be used with 'Hooks, Receiver E' on switchboard positions, 'Hooks Receiver H' on wall telephones, or 'Hooks Receiver D' on Telephones No 2 or 4.

Ratebook doesn't mention it but could probably be used with 'Hooks Receiver L' fitted to 'pyramid' type Bakelite telephones or 'Hook Receiver X' on 300 type telephones.

Last edited by Pellseinydd; 19th Jun 2020 at 2:09 pm.
Old 19th Jun 2020, 2:21 pm   #3
Dave757
Heptode

Hi,

Many years ago, a friend of mine who dealt in radio equipment,
bought a quantity of these, having seen 'Receivers- Watch' on the boxes.
Well, he thought they were the type of watches used on the likes of the
19 Set and the R107, and after all, the boxes were the right sort of size and weight.
You can imagine his disappointment when he opened one!

Kind regards
Dave
Old 22nd Jun 2020, 8:50 pm   #4
Voxophone
Hexode

Thanks both for your replies.

I can confirm that the watch receiver did come with a hook for use with the 300 series. I believe it is the 'X' type.

Interestingly, the resistance of the watch receiver coils measures at around 40 Ohms, rather than the 150 Ohms mentioned on the link above; however, it does work fine when connected up to the telephone line. I might try disconnecting it from the 300 series to make sure there are no parallel components influencing the result.

Kind regards,

Liam
Old 22nd Jun 2020, 11:10 pm   #5
Pellseinydd
Heptode

Quote:
Originally Posted by Voxophone View Post
Thanks both for your replies.

I can confirm that the watch receiver did come with a hook for use with the 300 series. I believe it is the 'X' type.

Interestingly, the resistance of the watch receiver coils measures at around 40 Ohms, rather than the 150 Ohms mentioned on the link above; however, it does work fine when connected up to the telephone line. I might try disconnecting it from the 300 series to make sure there are no parallel components influencing the result.

Kind regards,

Liam
Forgot to mention there are pictures of the hooks for the pyramid and 300 type phones on Bob's website
Closed Thread