UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Powered By Google Custom Search Vintage Radio and TV Service Data

Go Back   UK Vintage Radio Repair and Restoration Discussion Forum > Specific Vintage Equipment > Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment

Notices

Vintage Test Gear and Workshop Equipment For discussions about vintage test gear and workshop equipment such as coil winders.

Closed Thread

Old 30th Jun 2020, 1:28 pm   #1
Manx Nick
Pentode

Default Oscilloscope No. 11 A.A. Predictor

Hi folks,

A kind friend just gave me this beast, I wonder can anyone tell me what it can do and what it was used for?

I believe its something to do with an Anti Aircraft Gun?

It seems in very good condition but someone has put tape over the original dial paintwork, I assume as it had worn away.

There are some hefty valves in there! I haven't turned it on yet....

Thanks,

Nick
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	3.jpg
Views:	240
Size:	68.3 KB
ID:	209904   Click image for larger version

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	210
Size:	69.9 KB
ID:	209905   Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	191
Size:	52.8 KB
ID:	209906  
Old 30th Jun 2020, 5:24 pm   #2
AC/HL
Dekatron

Default Re: Oscilliscope No. 11 A.A. Predictor

Some previous threads here: https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/...d.php?t=155926
Old 30th Jun 2020, 6:28 pm   #3
David Simpson
Nonode

Nick, I had a long running thread on this 'scope. I took it over from "Electronwilly" who started it back ion 12th Dec 2012. I had another thread on just the pine cabinet back on 13th Feb 2017. I've all the documentation & the thread posts hold heaps of photos.

Regards, David
Old 1st Jul 2020, 10:44 am   #4
beamcurrent
Heptode

Default Re: Oscilloscope No. 11 A.A. Predictor

Hi Nick,

It's looks to be in very good condition, even to the extent of the component numbering still being there and it has survived some 60+ years. It would be nice to think of it continuing to survive, unchanged as a mark of the state of the art then. . Some future historian would be very excited about it as a mark of 1950s military technology. We won't live to see this though.

These days it has no real use and even powered up all you get is a trace on the screen. The value of it's components is low especially when compared to it's future value as a historical object.

I'm not sure I have made a good case, or even a coherent case, but I hope you get my idea.

Regards.

Visit the Virtual Broadcast TV Camera Museum
Old 1st Jul 2020, 10:59 am   #5
David Simpson
Nonode

Hello again Nick, My old wooden cased 'scope was the predecessor of yours. After the Battle of Britain in 1940, it was decided by the War Office that the mechanical/optical AA predictors weren't that good. So the push was on to change to a Radar system. These 'scopes were used for setting up & calibration. Your version carried on into the early '50's, but became obsolete due to the change from AA guns to ground to air missiles.
Seemingly, loads of the two versions of 'scopes were floating around the ex government surplus shops in the 50's & 60's, but now are pretty rare.

Regards, David
Old 1st Jul 2020, 3:13 pm   #6
AC/HL
Dekatron

It looks like some attempt had been made to use it for something, judging by the labels. Does your friend have any recollection?
Old 17th Jul 2020, 12:56 pm   #7
Manx Nick
Pentode

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Simpson View Post
Nick, I had a long running thread on this 'scope. I took it over from "Electronwilly" who started it back ion 12th Dec 2012. I had another thread on just the pine cabinet back on 13th Feb 2017. I've all the documentation & the thread posts hold heaps of photos.

Regards, David
Ok thats great I will take a look thanks David
Old 17th Jul 2020, 12:56 pm   #8
Manx Nick
Pentode

Quote:
Originally Posted by AC/HL View Post
It looks like some attempt had been made to use it for something, judging by the labels. Does your friend have any recollection?
Unfortunately not its a mystery!
Old 17th Jul 2020, 1:01 pm   #9
Manx Nick
Pentode

Quote:
Originally Posted by beamcurrent View Post
Hi Nick,

It's looks to be in very good condition, even to the extent of the component numbering still being there and it has survived some 60+ years. It would be nice to think of it continuing to survive, unchanged as a mark of the state of the art then. . Some future historian would be very excited about it as a mark of 1950s military technology. We won't live to see this though.

These days it has no real use and even powered up all you get is a trace on the screen. The value of it's components is low especially when compared to it's future value as a historical object.

I'm not sure I have made a good case, or even a coherent case, but I hope you get my idea.

Regards.

Hi it is definitely staying in one piece, and its being donated to our local aviation and military museum at the airport for display, as they actually have an AA gun and associated Radar trailer, but don't have this unit!

It has been looked after so well considering its age I agree.

I did turn it on and hid behind the garage door. It did power up briefly and the valves glowed lovely, then there was a fizzt..pop and the mains cap blew, tripping our house electrics, blowing three fuses in the board.... a lesson to us all there

Nick
Old 17th Jul 2020, 3:16 pm   #10
AC/HL
Dekatron

That control labelling looks to be glued over the original, with luck and care they should be removable.
Old 17th Jul 2020, 5:20 pm   #11
Radio Wrangler

The tube doesn't look to have a side-contact base, so that rules out VCR138.

3BP1, maybe?

Likely targets for modification might have been an oscilloscope in general terms, but I wonder about some form of modulation indicator for amateur radio? Several projects have been published and both ARRL and RSGB handbooks in the sixties included designs. It's probably of more interest if put back to original... at least in appearance and as Bill says, those labels look awfully tempting.

David
Old 19th Jul 2020, 6:33 pm   #12
WME_bill
Octode

Oscilloscope No 11. CRT
Someone suggested ACR10, which is the VCR139A or Mullard ECR30 or Cossor/Etel 23D or GEC 701A or E4205. All CV279, CV964, CV1588.
Tube has pins on the base. 70mm/ 2.75 diam screen.
So the mentioned 3inch tubes like 3BP1 will not fit and are too long anyway.
The VCR138 or ECR35 is a 3.5" tube, with the solid side contact base, not pins.
The VCR139 is a much derided tube.But it is short and small and surprisingly useful as an indicator. The first scope I built used it, and gave a wonderfully small scope, compared with what we had subsequently.
wme_bill
Old 21st Jul 2020, 2:52 pm   #13
Julesomega
Nonode

I have a VCR139A available if anyone is looking for one

It's good here
Old 24th Jul 2020, 11:04 am   #14
Manx Nick
Pentode

The device has now been donated to the local military and airfield museum here on the Isle of Man. Which is going to be on display connected to an AA Gun predictor and Morris Self-Propelled Bofors Gun truck. Very cool.
http://www.maps.org.im/morris-commer...p-bofors-gun-0

Thanks all for the advice!
Closed Thread